Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Aluminium billet Sump
dhollin3

posted on 19/10/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Aluminium billet Sump

Morning all,

Well this is the first time i have been on LB and i am sure it won't be the last. So i was just wondering if any of your guys can help me out?

I have just bought an aluminium billet oil sump to replace the standard one for my fireblade engine. But when assembling, i realised that the oil pickup filter needs shortening to accomodate the reduced depth of the sump. This has brought up the question that i don't know the exact dimension it needs to be cut down (i measured that it should be 16.5mm). But then the filter is in fresh air (obviously if no oil has been added!!!). Then how does the filter stay seated in position? Should i have bought an additional device to prop it up?

Well i hope that someone out there has used this type of billet before (see attached)

Cheers
Dom Rescued attachment sump3.jpg
Rescued attachment sump3.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/10/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally the sump should have little raised feet to support the pickup pipe the same as the stock sump, although these billet sumps seem not to have this and just rely on the rubber seal at the top to provide enough friction to stop the pickup tulip dropping out (not something I'd want to do TBH). Likewise on the oil pressure relief valve, on the stock sump you have a C shaped support so that if the PRV drops, oil can still escape, but on the billet sumps its flat below the PRV so if it drops it seals off the PRV and causes the oil pressure to rise excessively especially when cold.

The easiest solution would be to get the pickup shortened and at the same time weld some little feet onto the pickup itself, if you get stuck finding someone to do it then see my avatar

Chris

[Edited on 19/10/05 by ChrisGamlin]

dhollin3

posted on 19/10/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that.

I have had the oil pickup cut down today at work and i will measure the length that i need to made the studs/spacers to hold in place with a bit of plastacine.

Wadders

posted on 19/10/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a Stuart Taylor sump? mine came with a shortened pick up pipe as part of the deal.
dhollin3

posted on 21/10/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I bought it straight from the manufacturer as it was cheaper = £180 inc VAT and delivery. This didn't have the shortened pick up. So i have moded it myself. Going to measure the space left over (between the pick up and sump) and weld on some lugs to hold the pick up in place.

It is great having a fabrication dept at work.....

Was the shortened pipe a part exchange item?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.