Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot Start Problem
Ian Pearson

posted on 1/11/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hot Start Problem

My Dad has a mint 1987 E 230. They use it as a second car, but it has recently developed a problem, and is difficult to start when hot. It's spent a lot of time in the local garage, and they can't find a thing wrong with it. I'm not sure what they've done, as my Dad's not too mechanically minded, but they've changed some "gaskets." The car runs like a dream, except for the starting problem when hot.

Any of you have any clues on how to solve this?

Regards, Ian.

NS Dev

posted on 1/11/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Is it fuel injected? If so, does it have the bosch L-jetronic injection. (the one with the electronic flap-type airflow meter)

If so, the non-return valve in the fuel flow damper near the fuel pump under the back of the car is probably knackered. No problem to be honest, just gets vapour in the fuel lines which can expand due to the lack of backpressure. A few churns on the starter should clear it each time it happens.

Otherwise, you could try changing the damper but you'll have to find a goodun and they all seem to fail.

Ian Pearson

posted on 1/11/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ta very much.
DAN57

posted on 1/11/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I Believe its Bosch KE Jetronic (Mechanical/Electronic fuel injection)
It may seem too obvious to check but worth looking at the distributor cap and rotor arm. A very common fault on the straight 6 version of this engine is that it will start fine and run fine for exactly 20 mins then stall and wont restart. Dizzy cap and rotor arm fixes everytime???? Not so common on the four cylinder but still worth checking given the time of year.

Not heard of the fuel vapour fault but sounds quite possible. In fact I probably have a fuel pressure valve if you wish to try one.

Let us know if you fix it or need more help.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Once had an old Volvo with this trouble , turned out it was the fuel pressure accumulator. As NS Dev says a one way valve in the fuel line that is supposed to retain fuel pressure when engine is not running. May be worth getting a fuel pressure test done?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.