Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suzuki engines?
stu da rude

posted on 2/11/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
suzuki engines?

just a quick question, looking at various cars that have been built, it seems hardly anyone uses the gixxer engine? is there any particular reason that any1 knows to as to why not? id have thought the gixxer thou would have been a good lump to use? even the old 1000 SRAD makes good power and are relatively cheap(ish) now? any ideas?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/11/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think its mostly because it needs dry sumping and they are slightly more expensive to buy than most other litre engines like the R1 etc.

mac1ZR

posted on 2/11/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
we're using a GSXR 1000 k5 in our next car,should be pretty awesome!weighs about 60kg and has over 170bhp.mac#1 can get you the engine if you want one.
stu da rude

posted on 2/11/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
do they def. need dry sumping then? does the r1?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/11/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I believe Stuart Taylor tried various different wet sumps on their Gixer 1000 race Pheonixs last year before finally going dry sump after blowing several engines. If just used on the road you may be OK, but for track work Id not risk it.

The R1 doesnt need dry sumping even for track work (unless maybe if you're using huge slicks etc)

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
As Chris say's - apparently even with dry sump they are not as near bomb proof as a wet sumped 'blade or NKOTB R1.

There's a reason you don't see many and that's the reason - there are a lot better engines.

zxrlocost

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
in simple words the r1 carbed engine with loom and etc can be bought for just over a grand
it has 150bhp the later fuel injected version has 170bhp... but is dearer and much harder to wire up as you can imagine..

all that needs doing is the clutch springs and top up with oil..

it weighs 55kg which is then its performance characteristics are fearce!!!

the fireblade is obviously cheaper and also more easier to get going like the r1

basically theres a lot of engines that need things doing to them before there ready for a BEC

and theres only a couple that are easy and cost effective

HTH
#
chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

benji106

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
do the Busa engines need dry sumping then? i thought that they were fairly popular in BEC's?

-Everything in excess-

OX

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
some say yes some say no,,i did mine for peace of mind
G.Man

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you use on the track or push hard on the road then dry sump the busa...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Hellfire

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OX
some say yes some say no,,i did mine for peace of mind

If you drive like "a lady" you don't need one then - is that what you're trying to say Ox?

stu da rude

posted on 2/11/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies folks, think ill stick with my original plan and go blade then... out of interest, what does NKOTB mean hellfire? with regard to the R1 sump?

Mad Dave

posted on 3/11/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
NKOTB - Hangin' Tough!!!

[Edited on 3/11/05 by Mad Dave]

dhollin3

posted on 3/11/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
What is the reason for dry sumping? Even with baffled wet sumps do you still got oil starvation. Thus needing a dry sump system...Does it lubricate reliably?
Coose

posted on 3/11/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. A dry sump will give a constant oil supply (so long as you have enough oil in the remote tank) as it can't run away from the pick-up as per even a baffled wet sump!

They can have their own potential problems - you're introducing more moving parts (scavenge pumps etc.) and also another belt which has the potential of snapping!

Also, you need to be able to drive the scavenge pumps, which can mean losing your water pump drive and fitting an external water pump, which is something else to go wrong!

But on a brighter note, most dry-sump kits that you can get now are pretty well developed and failures are few and far between....

If I was going to do it again, I would still go for an R1 as my install was very straight forward, and it's done 3000 very hard miles on a stock clutch of unknown origin and has been absolutely fine! So the moral is, if you buy an R1 motor, keep the standard clutch until you really need a new one!

[Edited on 3/11/05 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/11/05 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, agree with Coose, a good mate of mine built up a really nice tuned R1 for his Westie and dry sumped it just to protect the investment really. Sadly it blew up a few weeks ago and first impressions suggest that the dry sump pump wasnt scavenging properly, so the tank basically ran out of oil and starved the engine

Im also still on the clutch that came with my engine, although I have installed a Barnett spring conversion

Stu, why a blade over the R1? Im a big fan of the blade but have recently upgraded to a 2003 injected R1 and I wouldnt go back. Apart from the extra power I think if anything the R1 will be more reliable than the blade, mainly due to the beefier clutch / gearbox which can sometimes be a bit of a weak point on the blades.

Chris

[Edited on 3/11/05 by ChrisGamlin]

dhollin3

posted on 3/11/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Oh ok. I can see that a dry sump system is going to be quite expensive. So how much will it cost to dry sump an R1?

I am running a blade engine, but i will see how it goes next year once is it SVA'd/ I have done a few racing in the RGB a few years back and it seemed pretty quick. But not really compared it to other road cars etc. I am always game for getting more power

zxrlocost

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
there all into the ŁK's I believe

no need to dry sump an r1 though

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

stu da rude

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
chris: to be honest, i only thought blade simply because of the ease of instalation, a lot of people have done it, but then again it seems the R1 is gaining popularity too! how do the engines compare power for power and torque for torque? i would imagine the R1 to be have more torque? all the better for a BEC methinks... now im confused... looks like im gonna have to rethink my budget to accomodate an R1 lump...

zxrlocost

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
fireblabe with all stuff to get going will end up about 15% cheaper than an r1
thats just from prices I have seen

the latest best 929?cc fireblade engine.
is 130bhp otb

the r1 is 150 and weighs the same as the fireblade!

the r1 injection is 170bhp but a bit dearer..

the fireblade is supposed to be a cracking unit both have the ease of install I believe

so its down to what you have to budget
the r1 will obviously work out at about 40bhp per ton better off and more torque

hth

youll hit 60 in under 4 secs with the r1 the blade will not be far off I would say

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/11/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Its only 2004 onward R1s that are significantly more powerful, the 2002/2003 injected engine is very similar to the carbed engines at around 150bhp (nearer 160bhp in a BEC with decent exhaust etc), and exhausts made for the carb engines will fit this engine, but not the 2004/5 as far as I know.

I rolling roaded my blade a couple of years ago and it was 112bhp at the wheels, the R1 is currently 138 at the wheels but hasnt been mapped yet so in reality Ive gained around 30bhp.

As to performance, any BEC is quick up to 60, I wouldnt say the R1 or a busa for that matter is significantly quicker than a blade (all will be in the 3.5-4s bracket). Its the higher speed acceleration where the more powerful engines pull out a significant advantage over the blade.
The mid-range is punchier with the R1 too, a mate has a Megablade which was very evenly matched with mine when I had the blade installed, but now with the R1 I can keep up with him whilst just shifting at 8.5-9k rpm.

As to the install, having done both I didnt think the R1 was significantly harder, there's more wires in the loom because of the injection but that doesnt really make it much more complicated, just takes a bit longer to determine what they all do.

Chris

dhollin3

posted on 3/11/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting.....if my blade ever brakes down then that sounds like a good plan.

Is there any difference in the drive flanges between the two engines. How about the engine cradle, is it easily modified from Blade to R1?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/11/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
The drive flange is the same splines but the splined bit of the output shaft is longer on the blade so the flange would need turning down to fit the R1.

I used the same engine cradle mounts on my chassis as the blade (a Stuart Taylor cradle) but made a new cradle to suit as it was neater and easier than modding the existing one.

tks

posted on 3/11/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

How can some one check if he needs an baffle or dry sump??

does the oil light come on??

or how can we check this?

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/11/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Basically, you can't! Its trial and error with an unknown engine unfortunately, hence one of the reasons why I often appear to be slightly negative when people ask about going for alternative engines to "save" money.

You may be able to get some idea from the design of the sump, but they dont seem to follow any particular rule you can truust. Most of the commonly used engines nowadays have probably gone through the trial and error process in one way or other, try it wet sumped, if it blows up try a baffle, if it blows up try an accusump, if it still blows go dry sump etc etc.

You might be lucky and catch a flicker of the oil light if you do get surge but if your oil pressure gets low enough to flick the light on when you're at high revs, the damage will often already been done.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.