New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic tank fitting II
Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic tank fitting II

Hi All,

In a previous thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=33011
I learned that fuel tanks need 2-4 pipes.

I want to replace my damaged ally sheet tank for this plastic tank:
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/fuel_tanks.htm

I don't know the exact setup I need to use. Delivery to Spain will be expensive so I would like to get all the bits I need from these guys in one go.

I've taken a few pics of my current setup, it would be fantastic if you could take a look at them and advise what to order.

The engine is a carbed Fireblade.

Areas of concern:

-Fixings: by looking at the pics of the plastic tank, can you tell the way you are supposed to fasten it to the car?

-My current tank seems to have one outlet and nothing else (no breather) without a vented fuel cap.

-I don't seem to have a return pipe in the tank, I don't know where to look for it in the engine (to see where it goes).

-My outlet hose is a 8mm, I suppose I should order a 8mm banjo assembly to replace the 10mm that comes fitted in the plastic tank.

-My current tank has a cap but the plastic one doesn't. I'd like to put one of these inlet things (I'm ashamed of my English), the kind you attach to the rear and has a cap with a key lock. What's the name for those and where can I get one, together with the pipe to connect it to the tank?

-I'm not sure wether my current setup looks right for a carbed Fireblade or I should be looking into connecting stuff in a different way. The car has been working great but Terry says "if you recycle the airated fuel you can get fuel starvation symptoms" and I seem to remember noticing something like that (just very slight) in certain conditions (especifically when going fast and restoring gas, i.e. on a hoghway, at the end of a downhill, when you start to apply gas again gently).

Thanks for any input, guys.

Cheers,

Alex

Pics:

01-03 = overall views
07 = unused connection (blocked) and transparent pipe to see fuel level
10-11 = the scary view I got the other day when I returned from a long outing: tank resting on the live axle, with its two fixings broken.
12 = 8mm hose outlet

[Edited on 11/11/05 by Alez] Rescued attachment 01.jpg
Rescued attachment 01.jpg

Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
... Rescued attachment 02.jpg
Rescued attachment 02.jpg

Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
... Rescued attachment 03.jpg
Rescued attachment 03.jpg

Alez

... Rescued attachment 07.jpg
Rescued attachment 07.jpg

Alez

... Rescued attachment 10.jpg
Rescued attachment 10.jpg

Alez

... Rescued attachment 11.jpg
Rescued attachment 11.jpg

Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
... Rescued attachment 12.jpg
Rescued attachment 12.jpg

Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm lost and I badly miss driving the car!!

[Edited on 11/11/05 by Alez]

David Jenkins

posted on 11/11/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Do you actually need to buy a new tank? Especially as what you have now does work almost OK, apart from falling on the axle that is!

You could use a couple of steel straps over the tank to fix it securely, as seen in the Locost book. Wouldn't be too hard to set up.

All you would then need is a vented filler cap, or a tank breather (although you'd have to drill holes for that - the vented cap would be easiest).

rgds,
David

Alez

posted on 11/11/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have always been concerned about my setup because of safety in the event of a colision as the car can catch fire.

So when I saw my current tank has broke I thought that's a good reason for replacing it with something less likely to spread the fuel everywhere

If I get to the conclusion that fitting a plastic tank goes beyond my skills, I'll do as you advise

Cheers,

Alex

BKLOCO

posted on 11/11/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your pictures I would think it unlikely that the plastic tank that you are proposing to fit will go straight into your chassis.

I had one of these tanks on loan to me from GTS to see if it would fit in my chassis. I decided that it was not an easy thing to fit due to its shape and size. I eventually opted for a custom made alloy tank.

If you do decide to fit the plastic tank you are going to have to make up some retaining straps anyway as they come with no mounting holes or brackets.

I would have thought that a good quality adhedive (possibly epoxy) on your existing mounts and a couple of padded, metal straps over your alloy tank would be perfectly satisfactory, less work and considerably cheaper.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

ReMan

posted on 12/11/05 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
setup because of safety in the event of a colision as the car can catch fire.
I thought that's a good reason for replacing it with something less likely to spread the fuel everywhere

Alex

The NF auto ones look particularly good, but i'm not sure how true the above is, anybody?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Alez

posted on 14/11/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
> Looking at your pictures I would think it unlikely that the plastic tank that you are proposing to fit will go straight into your chassis.

Now that you mention it, the tank looks too short and deep (long), no?? Fortunately they give measurements so I can check. Thanks for that, I would've ordered without checking it first!

> I decided that it was not an easy thing to fit due to its shape and size.

It's strange because they say "Our new Rotor-moulded fuel tanks are a great solution for most kits especially Sevens", it looks they designed it with Seven type cars in mind but then they didn't

> If you do decide to fit the plastic tank you are going to have to make up some retaining straps anyway as they come with no mounting holes or brackets.

The claim to have solved this more or less: "Both including 2 stainless steel strips for you to make your own cradle straps.".

> I would have thought that a good quality adhedive (possibly epoxy) on your existing mounts and a couple of padded, metal straps over your alloy tank would be perfectly satisfactory, less work and considerably cheaper.

I won't spend a lot of money for getting a plastic tank I finally CAN'T fit because of size or whatever Your / David's proposed option is starting to look more and more realistic.

One thing I'm going to do is routing the electrics in a different way (away, basically), I now have wires along the tank (between the tank and the rear body panel), fixed with insulating tape I think you can see them in some of the pics.

Thanks a lot, very helpful guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.