Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELP!! Ebay hijack
donut

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
HELP!! Ebay hijack

I get home from picking boys up from school only to find that i have loads of emails from ebay confirming that i have placed items for sale on my account. I try to get in to my account but with no luck. I also get emails confirming password change and secret Question/answer change.

What the hell can i do? How can this happen?

I'm trying live chat help but waiting ages

The thing that worries me the most is the fact i have a paypal account connected to my ebay account. Could they access that too?

Any advice apreciated.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted....goo ol ebay live chat!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Messenjah

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
donut can you stick a traffic cone on ebay for me no reserve say collection from stevenage
BKLOCO

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
So what happened????

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Surrey Dave

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah how was it done?

Did you input your details to a spoof email?

It's scary sh1t when most people have a Paypal account closely allied to Ebay........

[Edited on 17/11/05 by Surrey Dave]

donut

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think they guess the password, get in then change the password and secret question. When i got home i found loads of emails from Ebay confirming i had successfully uploaded items which were all handbags!!!!!!! NO it wasn't me..honest!!

I got onto help chat and they stopped it.

If it ever happens to you all you have to do is request forgotten password, get password which will be emailed to you then change it to something difficult to guess. My password WAS donut and the user name donutdesign....so really, how hard could it have been eh!!

Password is now much more difficult. So difficult i can't remember what it is

Andy

Surrey Dave

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
What a donut!!!!!!!!!!

Best to use upper and lower case + some numbers.........

Then you have to write it down and eat the paper after use

donut

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Then kill myself!!

Andy

Kowalski

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Want guidelines for a secure password?

No dictionary words may be used in the password. No names may be contained in the password. Abbreviations are out too. Letters in dictionary words must not be replaced with letters e.g. "w0rds" is not a secure password. It has to be a random collection of letters and numbers, containing both upper and lower case letters. Minimum length etc.

I think that lot is paranoid enough.

[Edited on 17/11/05 by Kowalski]

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Talk about paranoid, the B and G are close together on the keyboard, and accidently typed www.egay.co.uk - Jesus Henry.....

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

donut

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

www.egay.co.uk

EEEEEK!

Andy

JoelP

posted on 18/11/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i find it hard to believe that anyone could guess your password, even if it was that simple. Are you sure you werent caught out somehow? Either way, be cautious in future!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Deckman001

posted on 18/11/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly his password was as easy to guess as mine was when it happend to me a week or so ago, whatever you do, DONT use your username as the password it is VERY easy to guess, I've learnt from this mistake the hard way loads of grief i didn't need sorting it all out
Sorted now though

Jason

Also saw a prog on it last week, they have found out that there are special programs that randomly generate passwords trying to guess the correct one, it will try all the obvious ones first like username as password and stuff like that

[Edited on 18/11/05 by Deckman001]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.