Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Copper exhaust nuts?
RazMan

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Copper exhaust nuts?

I've just ordered some shorter exhaust studs for my Duratec V6 and the new exhaust system (for a scary price) and I noticed that the supplier lists copper exhaust nuts.
My experience must be lacking in this department as I have never used (or noticed) copper nuts before. What is the reason for using copper? Is it to lessen corrosion? Do I use washers with them?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kev R1

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
steel ones will get so hot and basically weld them selves on, use copper grease aswell.,and use spring washers to stop them vibrating loose
RazMan

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Copper ones or will steel do?

I have always used K Nuts in the past - but thinking about it I have never had to remove a manifold fitted like that. I bet the new owner of my old Nissan S13 is cursing me for using steel nuts on the manifolds and turbo!

[Edited on 23-11-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kowalski

posted on 23/11/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I have never used (or noticed) copper nuts before. What is the reason for using copper? Is it to lessen corrosion? Do I use washers with them?

I've never seen copper nuts, but I have heard of brass used. You can get away with zinc coated nuts, steel ones don't so much weld themselves on as corrode on and can be a pain to shift. Having said that, the nuts on the turbo / manifold of my every day driver (diesel) haven't rusted up and its a 8 year old car.

Doh!

I might be wrong about the brass, I may have meant bronze. Perhaps I should look it up.

[Edited on 23/11/05 by Kowalski]

[Edited on 23/11/05 by Kowalski]

bigandy

posted on 23/11/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kowalski
.....as corrode on and can be a pain to shit.

I'll bear that in mind next time I do the cooking!

Dammit! Too many decisions....

RazMan

posted on 23/11/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I will definitely put this down as 'the thing I learned today'

Thanks for the input guys - I'm all set to put the exhaust on at the weekend now

Cheers,
Raz

emsfactory

posted on 23/11/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was sent copper nuts as standard from burton but they wouldn't get the exhaust studs in the block and they were so soft that they couldn't pull the manifod in tight enough so it kept blowing. Burton said this was the standard and they didn't do steel exhaust nuts.
I asked them if they knew the tread size of the copper? "yes sir"
Do you have regular steel as opposed to exhaust steel nuts of this size? 'Yes sir"
Well send me them then! 'OK sir'
They worked fine.

NS Dev

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
The "proper" solution is usually Copper Coated K-nuts.

These are flanged nuts which are slightly crimped at the back end to keep tight on their threads, and are copper coated to achieve the anti-seize properties.

RazMan

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
They would be my preference but I can't find any copper coated ones - just standard full nuts.

Cheers,
Raz

David Jenkins

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've got bronze nuts (ooer!) from Burtons - they're about 3 times thicker than std nuts to keep the strength up. Seem to work OK.

If I over-tightened them I'd rather strip the nut's thread than wreck the stud.

David

RazMan

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I just did a Google for K Nuts and came across a company in Silverstone who stock 'Silvered' Stainless K Nuts for aircraft exhaust applications. I gave them a call and they have loads of stock ..... but at £3.45 per nut I think I will revert back to plan A and use the standard copper nuts!

http://www.tridentracing.co.uk/info/fastas.htm

[Edited on 24-11-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

DarrenW

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would be very surprised if the copper nuts you refer to are actually solid copper. Ill put money on that they are the copper plated K nuts that Nat refers to. (Incidentally - ive also heard these referred to as 'bugger nuts'! nice name me thought).

Ive used copper coated on mine. Came with the new studs i fitted when reconning the head. Unfortunately supplied with second hand engine i bought off PeteBee so i dont know where they can from - i think they were main dealer parts.

02GF74

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I am surprised you say copper - copper is not very strong. I have seen and used brass nuts in the past, muich harder than copper.

You may want to consider stainless steel?

Whichever you use, sbe generaous withthe copper grease when fitting.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine are certainly not plated steel - I checked!

DJ

smart51

posted on 24/11/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
If a nut welds itself to a stud, doesn't that then become a bolt? Surely it would undo just like a bolt would?
David Jenkins

posted on 24/11/05 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
It's when it welds itself to the stud, AND seizes in the head that you REALLY get pee'd off!

DJ

Dave J

posted on 24/11/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've used brass nuts to good effect, they pull down well. Ensure you use spring washers in addition to the normal.

Cheers,

Dave

BKLOCO

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
The nuts as supplied by Ford are the copperED variety, crimped at the end as described in an earlier post.
I've got some second hand ones in the garage you can have Mike if you want to pop round. I'm going to use stainless studding and stainless nuts on the Zetec.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Spyderman

posted on 24/11/05 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
As my feeble memory recalls, the Brass nuts onto manifold studs were for the expansion properties. As I was told brass has a different expansion rate to steel so does not become loose after numerous hot-cold cycles.
Corrosion would only be a problem if left for a great period of time unused (as in parking up for winter). It is the expansion and contraction of the manifold that causes the problems, making the steel stud stretch. By having the brass nut as the retainer and being softer it allows the components to stretch and contract easier without loosening up.

I hope this makes sense!

Terry

Spyderman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.