Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox/Engine confusion
kingr

posted on 15/2/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox/Engine confusion

I'm having a few gearbox mating related issues. The hole in my crank seems to be the same if not smaller than the width of the last section of the input shaft on my box and not deep enough, the end result of this is that even without spigot bearing/flywheel/clutch there is an inch gap between the gearbox and the engine. There seems two possibities, 1) non standard engine (it came from an XR2, so no spigot bearing) 2) wrong gearbox, it's 5 speed and it came out of a 1.8 F reg CVH engined sierra.

So, what's it to be, and is there any easy way to fix it? If not, and it's going to be more hastle just to get the sodding thing to even mate up, I think I might just ditch the xflow, flog my webers and start saving my pennies for a bike engine. I was planning on going that way eventually anyway.

Kingr

Stu16v

posted on 16/2/03 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have probably hit the nail on the head, the fact that it is originally a FWD engine is more than likely the problem, as RWD Xflows mate up to a type 9 no probs.

Dont just build it.....make it!

theconrodkid

posted on 16/2/03 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like you have the mt75 box,i fitted a type 9 to a cvh no probs,is box alloy or iron case?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/2/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
FWD engines generally have no & need no input shaft support. if your engine is out of a XR3 then it is a 1600 CVH and there will be no provision in the crank for an input shaft suppport bearing. Take a 3/8" drive extension & insert in through clutch splines till you come to a stop. mark distance to face of clutch plate. On input shaft that distance from the gearbox end of the splines to the nose of the shaft MUST be less than the distance that you have measured un your extension. If not then you need to either get the correctengine/crank combination or have your crank moddified to take a spiggot bearing.

Sorry.

Enjoy.

kingr

posted on 16/2/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I probably should have been more clear about what engine it is, it's a 1600 Xflow from Mk1 XR2. The gearbox is definately a type 9 (ali tail section, steel body and bolt on bellhousing). Here are a few pictures to show the problem, does the crank look different from a standard crossflow? How much do you think it would cost to get the crank modded to suit?

Kingr Rescued attachment crankshaft end.jpg
Rescued attachment crankshaft end.jpg

kingr

posted on 16/2/03 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment crankshaft hole width.jpg
Rescued attachment crankshaft hole width.jpg

kingr

posted on 16/2/03 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment gearbox input shaft width.jpg
Rescued attachment gearbox input shaft width.jpg

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/2/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmmmm. sorry my mistake, blurry vision first thing in AM. mis-read xr3 for xr2. theory says that spiggot bearings should be same size but I could be wrong. have you tried fitting nose of input shaft into spiggot bearing (withoutflywheel/clutch present so you can see). if nose fits then problem must be with clutchplate & splines. If no fit then either temporary solution is to remove old spigott bearing & run without (major league dodgy bodge) or remove input shaft & get it turned down to fit in bearing. (& if not already done overhaul gearbox at the same time cos you've got to strip gearbox to remove input shaft.) Cost wise not a clue on machining.
If nose fits in spiggot bearing then fault must be with wrong plate for gearbox splines, sorry but have to ask, did you try the plate on the shaft before fitting. Some times the simplest of things are overlooked. I was just about to condemn the injectors on my pinto, then I checked my valve clearances, Goes like the proverbial off a shovel again now.

Enjoy.

theconrodkid

posted on 16/2/03 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
afaik the mk1 xr2 used a kent engine,did you put the spigot brng in?looks like wrong bearing in the hole,pull it out and get a new one to try

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

kingr

posted on 16/2/03 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ummmm, that's not a bearing, it's a lump of metal, and I don't think it's removable (or is it?).

JGG - I was trying to fit it without any spigot bearing/flywheel/clutch.

Kingr

theconrodkid

posted on 16/2/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
well that peice of alien spacecraft shouldnt be there,deport it and fit a bearing,all your problems will be solved

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

kingr

posted on 16/2/03 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I spent a fair old time trying to get the sodding thing out firstly with a small chisel that fell to bits before it did anything particularly useful, and then bashing an m16 nut into it, and then trying to screw/wrench/hammer it out. The nut eventually came out, but the metal bit didn't. I just don't know if it's removable or not, or even how. Help!!

Kingr

Wadders

posted on 16/2/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If it does turn out that you need to have the input shaft turned down, i'll happily do it for you, as long as you can give me a size to work to, all it will cost is the postage to and from Yorkshire.

ATB

Al

Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Cost wise not a clue on machining.

Stu16v

posted on 16/2/03 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I cant comment for the XR2 Xflow, but the majority of FWD Ford engines do not have a spigot bearing. But you will need to use one with a RWD box, as the input shaft and bearings are not designed to cope without.
I think it may mean changing crank or removing it and having the necessary machining done to fit a spigot bearing. Doh!

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.