posted on 11/12/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Compressors

NoTool Compressor Link

Any good?

the_fbi

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go for http://www.transtools.co.uk/150022comp45ltr.htm
Its 3HP and has twin outlets.
Only £10 more than the 2HP eBay one (delivered) as delivery is free from Transtools over £50.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 11/12/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
50 litre compressor tend to be useless, i had one in my work van, wouldnt blow the skin of a rice pudding! Changed it to a 100 litre one

Now that would even drive a 3/4" air gun

Hose's that tend to come with the cheap compressor are useless aswell, not big enough for impact wrenches ect. You want a minimum of 8mm(5/16" bore hose, 10mm(3/8) is ideal for everything but the bigest of air tools

[Edited on 11-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzrpowerd-locost
50 litre compressor tend to be useless, i had one in my work van, wouldnt blow the skin of a rice pudding! Changed it to a 100 litre one

Hose's that tend to come with the cheap compressor are useless aswell, not big enough for impact wrenches ect. You want a minimum of 8mm(5/16" bore hose, 10mm(3/8) is ideal for everything but the bigest of air tools

Surely this is more down to the power of the motor?

The extra capacity will give you:
longer time to come up to pressure
longer to run before the motor cuts back in

Not had my SIP 2/50 run out of puff on me yet...althougu it you're looking at running intensive tools then a 3hp motor is desired.

rayward

posted on 11/12/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
depends what you intend to run, the CFM is what to look at, but many manufacturers dont list the details.

ideally you want minimum of 8CFM, which will drive air drills, sanders, and a small shotblast cabinet if you wanted, as well as the usual spray guns, tyre inflators etc.

the one from transtools looks pretty good value.

Ray

[Edited on 11/12/05 by rayward]

[Edited on 11/12/05 by rayward]

albertz

posted on 11/12/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Coincidentally i was on the phone this very morning trying to order that 'Valley' compressor that
'the_fbi' linked to. I thought it looked a good spec for the price. Should do most of what i want it for.

Funny/odd/annoying thing is i contacted them through Ebay and was quoted 25 for delivery so glad you pointed out free delivery through their own website

the_fbi

posted on 11/12/05 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
Funny/odd/annoying thing is i contacted them through Ebay and was quoted 25 for delivery so glad you pointed out free delivery through their own website

Yea, can't quite work out how/why they are charging more through eBay, although clearly there are fees for eBay when there's not for their own website.

The 100L vertical would be my weapon of choice, but I can't justify the extra cash just for more volume and a smaller footprint.

dave dickson

posted on 11/12/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
This one looks like a much better deal..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7569885850&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Its close to reserve now.

joolsmi16

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
compressor

screwfix do a 2hp 50ltr for £100, I have a 3 hp 100ltr and only struggles when my 1/4" die grinder on full, spraying never found a problem.
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
screwfix do a 2hp 50ltr for £100, I have a 3 hp 100ltr and only struggles when my 1/4" die grinder on full, spraying never found a problem.

100l struggling with 1/4" die grinder

Something amiss there then?? do you run it at full pressure? i used to turn mine down to about 90psi on the regulator and it ran great! That was on the 50L one, 100L one used to wee it!

[Edited on 12-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by zzrpowerd-locost

Surely this is more down to the power of the motor?

The extra capacity will give you:
longer time to come up to pressure
longer to run before the motor cuts back in

Not had my SIP 2/50 run out of puff on me yet...althougu it you're looking at running intensive tools then a 3hp motor is desired.

Probally, but used to last ages before the motor cut in!

The 50l one was shite, would just drive 1/2" impact gun, but wouldnt undo anything! Going to bigger hose made abit of difference but ports ect were just too small!!

One thing to mention, if you indend to use the likes of impact guns, or owt that doesnt need the air reducing, put a coupling with a desent thouput straight into the air tank!

Normally have a bung in one end with 1/2" female thread. Can get a pcl coupling with 1/2" male thread on it! With 10mm(3/8) hose you wont have much trouble!

Peteff

posted on 12/12/05 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
the CFM is what to look at,

The FAD is what to look for (free air delivery) as it is more relevant, usually it is about 2/3 of the CFM. Netto had the same spec compressor a couple of weeks ago for £69.99.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ADD

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I realise this thread is a little old but I need to ask. I bought a 3hp 150ltr SIP compressor off of ebay. It will run a small sand blast gun but has no puff for any tools. I was told that the commpressor isn't man enough for tools. Is this right? If not then what is the best thing to cange to getting it working properly?
Peteff

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The pump

Is it belt driven or direct drive, oil or oilless. What tools do you want to run? I have a 3hp 50 litre which will run most things but die grinders and cut off saws use masses of air so there's a lot of waiting time. Nailers, riveters and wrenches are no problem though. Spraying uses lower pressure so the tank lasts longer. The tank size is only storage and shouldn't affect the working pressure, just the time it takes to fill the tank and the running frequency of the pump. Do you run through a pressure regulator or straight from the tank, your reg could be faulty.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ADD
I realise this thread is a little old but I need to ask. I bought a 3hp 150ltr SIP compressor off of ebay. It will run a small sand blast gun but has no puff for any tools. I was told that the commpressor isn't man enough for tools. Is this right? If not then what is the best thing to cange to getting it working properly?

i was looking at one of these the other day, as my current compressor is a little inadequate - its a 7cfm/25L one, and maybe 1.5hp, trying to turn an air cutoff and a die grinder! I havent researched enough to decide whether i should get one big one or another small one to pair up.

ADD

posted on 7/1/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is it belt driven or direct drive, oil or oilless. What tools do you want to run? I have a 3hp 50 litre which will run most things but die grinders and cut off saws use masses of air so there's a lot of waiting time. Nailers, riveters and wrenches are no problem though. Spraying uses lower pressure so the tank lasts longer. The tank size is only storage and shouldn't affect the working pressure, just the time it takes to fill the tank and the running frequency of the pump. Do you run through a pressure regulator or straight from the tank, your reg could be faulty.

Its direct drive with oil, I want to run grinders, snips, riviters ect. I do run through a pressure regulator and through a 40ft length of hose (dont know the dia off top of my head). Is it possible to run direct from the tank? Isn't that a bit dodgy?

rusty nuts

posted on 7/1/06 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try a shorter length of hose you will get pressure drop due to length and small bore.
JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
my 'dream hose' is one of those self winding ones, on a reel on the wall 1/2 inch bore ideally.

The hose makes a terrible difference to my tools, when you stop using them you can hear air moving into the hose for a second or so afterwards, as the air catches up.

Peteff

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to run direct from the tank?

What I mean is do you run through the regulator on the tank outlet. I have put another connector on mine to run straight from the tank and I use a trap/regulator at the end of the airline near whatever I'm doing. I have various sizes of hose and I don't notice any difference in performance with any of them, the air runs ar 150psi to wherever the hose ends and the reg cuts it down from there. I don't have a "dream hose" but find rubber ones are more manageable in lower temperatures and I also find tools ice up easily in the present conditions even with a trap fitted. My longest hose is 20ft as I find it easier to move the compressor than drag a hose round whilst tripping over obstacles.

yours, Pete

ADD

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
What I mean is do you run through the regulator on the tank outlet. I have put another connector on mine to run straight from the tank and I use a trap/regulator at the end of the airline near whatever I'm doing. I have various sizes of hose and I don't notice any difference in performance with any of them, the air runs ar 150psi to wherever the hose ends and the reg cuts it down from there. I don't have a "dream hose" but find rubber ones are more manageable in lower temperatures and I also find tools ice up easily in the present conditions even with a trap fitted. My longest hose is 20ft as I find it easier to move the compressor than drag a hose round whilst tripping over obstacles.

Yes I do run through the regulator direct from the tank. I will give it a go the way you suggest.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.