Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Sparks
ianr

posted on 6/2/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Sparks

I have tonight gone to try and turn my car over and have tried till the battery is flat starting her. Then when that went flat i tried to push start with my wife in the driver seat. Then after several pushes and the last one with the handbrake off we decided to jump start. Once started though it sounded very rough and i could see sparks coming out the exhaust side of the engine.

Will this be because i have excess fuel in the car or my leads HT leads are bad.

This has not happened before but is the longest i have tried to start the car.

JoelP

posted on 6/2/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
you would have to give more details about the sparks - where from exactly? Localised or spread out?
ianr

posted on 7/2/06 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
you would have to give more details about the sparks - where from exactly? Localised or spread out?

It is coming out from where the exhaust attaches to the engine. The engine is a crossflow. Seem to be all from the same place.

rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking, try tightening the manifold nuts . If that doesn't cure it replace the gaskets. What manifold are you using? used a lolocost one on mine and had a job sealing that to the head, in the end I took it off and separated each flange because of distortion, sealed no problem then . Obviously this doesn't rectify your bad starting.
ianr

posted on 7/2/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Sounds like the exhaust manifold gaskets are leaking, try tightening the manifold nuts . If that doesn't cure it replace the gaskets. What manifold are you using? used a lolocost one on mine and had a job sealing that to the head, in the end I took it off and separated each flange because of distortion, sealed no problem then . Obviously this doesn't rectify your bad starting.

I did not build the car, so not sure although looking at is is not the greatest fit. Starting is an issue that is a separate problem that i will solve when i get some Spare cash

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 11/2/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
engine sparks

Hi
not sure if this is relevant but recently had trouble with rough running, difficult starting so cleaned plugs etc tried jap/german plugs no luck, champions, fired up first time purred like a kitten

Good luck

ianr

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
The exhaust is missing a screw to the manifold and there is space between the exhaust and manifold , which maybe the cause of the rough engine, The plugs do look a little dark so may be wise to replace.
02GF74

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

crossflow; yep, got one of those.

the spark plugs are on the exhaust side.

I thought perhaps it could be flashes of light as the mixutre burns but having thought a bit more, that should not be possible as the mixsture has burnt once the eaxuahst valves have opened to let the gases out.

... but it could be that a piston is not firing and the mixture is burning in the exhasut manifold.

Not having seen it I would have thought is would be quite easy to localise the source.

You say you have gaps between the manifoled and head ... hmm. that is not good. you could temporarily show some exhasust past into the gap to seal them to see if that helps; if it doesn't, then more likley it is ignition. (NB: be careful when doing this as you do not want to drop paste in toe the engine via the head).

More likely it is ignition - are you leads bad so you hare getting arcing to the block? Has one of you leads touched and melted on the manifold so is arcing? By remving one lead at a time, you should be able to find out the cylinder causing the problem.

To help you narrow down the origin, run the engine whgen it is dark - easieer to see.

DarrenW

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had similarish experience when first getting mine running. Suggest fitting exhaust manifold properly. Make sure plugs, points etc are all good. Recheck timing, plug leads in corretc order etc. Recharge battery and have another go. You cant be far off if it was running in a fashion. Just make sure the basics are all covered first.

If you still have problems tell us what the spec is (ignition type, carb type etc) and take advice from there.

Sam Williams had some problems so have a look for his post - maybe some good pointers for you.

ianr

posted on 17/2/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have just come back from holiday so the car had to be tucked up in the garage for a while.
But my plan A is to try and buy and fit the missing exhaust manifold screw then tighten to remove all gaps then try again
to see if the same thing happens

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.