Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New alternator fitted
NS Dev

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
New alternator fitted

got the new alt on now and turnbuckle tensioner made up (didn't like the idea of a "manual" slide tensioner with the alt low down and not easy to get at)

fuel press reg just went on as it turned up off an ebay buy really fast, fuel pipes all done now.

[img][/img]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 29/3/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
blimey that looks near identical to my car at the moment!

i've got a couple more hose connections made but my bracket for the (identical)alternator is still on the garage floor

I used the upper mounting bolt locations from the fwd engine mount location - kind of in the thought that the dry sump pumps normally mount where you've put yours for when I upgrade in the future.

Any more closeups of the bracket?

cheers,

Ned.

and why didn't i think of mounting the pressure regulator on its side like that, makes routing the return line so much easier

here's my bracket so far:
alternator bracket
alternator bracket

[Edited on 29/3/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 29/3/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned.

Yep, you're dead right I have used the holes normally used for the dry sump pump. The bracket didn't take long to make though and I won't be dry sumping in the near future as I need the budget for the next grasser.

I used to two holes nearest the sump mounting face and nearest the front of the block, bracket is basically 6mm thick 30 x30 angle, shaped a bit, with some 25mm bright bar bored out, stepped, drilled and tapped M10, then welded to the edge of the angle. The alternator is then just bolted in single shear on the end of it. (basically like the cast ally single shear mounts that the "off the shelf" kits seem to come with)

I'll try and do a photo, but its not easy to get at.

The top adjuster is VERY nice, but very heavy Only had 1/2" rose joints laying about so that's what got used! I used the two frontmost upper engine mount (fwd one) holes to mount two bush tubes with a piece of 25mm strip welded between them, with a 1/2"od stepped top hat threaded m10 for a pinch bolt to pull the rose joint up to it.

To adjust the belt tension, you crack off the two locknuts, wind the adjuster bolt head in or out, then relock the two nuts again...........took a min or two to think about how to do that without the ability to cut reverse threads, but it worked!

Got thoroughly peed off turning bits from flipping 25mm EN16 though (smallest bright bar I have at the mo!) so the adjuster link thread on the end is a nut welded on to some cds, hence the less than neat turned down weld! Ah well, something to tidy in the future!

Fuel reg was off ebay, on there as a "nissan 200 sx" one, its a std FSE rising rate one, got it for £30 delivered which I thought was ok compared to 60 or so new, swapped the barb/blanking bung over from one end to the other so it would go on its side and point the right way etc.

cheers

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 29/3/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
PS Ned, you wait till you see whats going in that gap in the top hose!!

mmmm shiny!!

this pics a bit closer of the alt, but still can't see the lower bracket!

alt 2
alt 2

[Edited on 29/3/06 by NS Dev]

ned

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
ta for that nat, my bracket seems huge and very heavy, all being made from 3mm plate! I have also put a rib along the back as i was paranoid the plate might flex as i tensioned the alternator up. I guess I can drill some holes in it to lighten it a bit before i spray it!

on another note, just wondered if you had any thoughts on this..
my engine is offset to the passenger side and my thermostat temp sensor is too close to the engine bay rail to get the wiring plug on it - have you had this trouble or got any ideas on some sort of short flexi fitting or banjo bolt that mail solve the problem?

And what air temp sesnor are you using - i don't seem to have one with my throttle body kit i assume its a bosch part, just wondered if you had a part number (maybe stampedon yours somewhere?!)

cheers,

Ned.

engine  in front
engine in front

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned, apart from the verniers etc they do look very similar don't they!!! lol!

I take it you mean the ECU temp sensor is the one you can't get the plug on (the blue 2 pin one), not the gauge one near it?

If thats the case, is there a takeoff on the inlet manifold water elbow area (or dth bodies) that you can use? I know there is a biggish water connection connection on the underside of my Jenvey manifold (plus a 1/8 npt one on top) and I have blocked it off with an ally bung, would be easy to put the sensor there and it is "pre-thermostat" so no probs there.

Yep, bosch sensor, give me your address and I'll post you one as I've got a couple laying about, but you can just use the std one attached to the engine, it's fine, but if you want to put one elsewhere and keep the old one filling in the old hole then u2u me and I'll stick one in the post to you mate.

procomp

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi nat that rose joint on the altenator loks like it might be binding lol.

both engine bay looking good . Ned are you the same ned that had the simpson manifold on the westfield group buy it looks like one .

cheers matt

NS Dev

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
cheers Matt!

yep, bit worried about the rose joint, does seem a bit tight

Yep, Ned's manifold is Simpson's handiwork (envy envy)

Hopefully all my stainless bits should be finished and bent up at SDW fab today so I can spend some long nights with a TIG welder making mine!!

ned

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Matt, yep thats me, pics in my archive

Nat, yes the ecu temp sensor. I don't currently have anything on the inlet manifold side, there is an incomplete drilling for the bleed in the throttle body casting at the front, suppose i could get that tapped out and use that - do you use a bleed from the inlet manifold to the header? I wasn't convinced it needs it.

I'll drop you a u2u with my address.

cheers,

Ned.

procomp

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
hi yep i thought it was the same person.

Iv'e just seen your sprung unsprung thread it's no wonder you have a hedache.

cheers matt

procomp

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi ned they do make nice manifolds don't they.

matt

ned

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
they certainly do, it wasn't cheap, but they're relatiely close compared to travellingup north for a cheap one and it does look the dogs danglies, easy and nice to deal with aswell. If you've got the cash I'd recommend them!

Ned.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1928b.jpg
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1927b.jpg

[Edited on 30/3/06 by ned]

NS Dev

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
Matt, yep thats me, pics in my archive

Nat, yes the ecu temp sensor. I don't currently have anything on the inlet manifold side, there is an incomplete drilling for the bleed in the throttle body casting at the front, suppose i could get that tapped out and use that - do you use a bleed from the inlet manifold to the header? I wasn't convinced it needs it.

I'll drop you a u2u with my address.

cheers,

Ned.

you need a bleed from one side or the other, either the inlet manifold or drill and tap the thermostat housing (some are already and have a grub screw in there)

I am fitting a stainless header pot with pressure cap in the top hose, which then neatly puts the required step in height in the hose, and I'm feeding the bleed from the inlet manifold into the top of the header.

ned

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a t in the top hose from the thermostat-rad pipe which bleeds back to the top of the header tank which should be the highest point and should bleed allow air to bleed from the rad and/or the head as i understood it?!

Ned.

as per this pic:http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1927b.jpg

[Edited on 30/3/06 by ned]

NS Dev

posted on 30/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
yep, that should do the trick no problem. You'll probably catch a bit of air under the thermostat until it opens but it will be fine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.