Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bogg Bros Bike Carbs
andyharding

posted on 19/4/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bogg Bros Bike Carbs

I ordered an R1 conversion a while back for the 2L Pinto I'm currently having built.

I'm currently in the process of painting the car and wanted to check how the R1 carbs will fit under the bonnet so I decided to bolt the kit onto my 1.6L Pinto to "test fit".

Having fitted them it seemed like a shame not to connect the fuel and see if it would start. Turned the key with just the choke on no throttle and it fired first time...

After hearing them I just had to rig up a throttle so I could take it for a spin...

The difference has left me speechless.

Where before the engine would knock below 2000RPM and be undrivable I can now floor the throttle at 1200RPM and it pulls like a train all the way up until I chicken out around 6500RPM.

The car is now totally different to drive.

The £300 I gave Bogg Bros is the best money I have spent on the car. What a result!

Pics plus vids to follow...

Pics:-

Bike Carbs 1
Bike Carbs 1

Bike Carbs 2
Bike Carbs 2

Bike Carbs 3
Bike Carbs 3

Bike Carbs 4
Bike Carbs 4

[Edited on 19/4/06 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Phil. S

posted on 19/4/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
What did you have on before?

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 19/4/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah!!, bike carbs are a good investment you get benefits of small carbs at the bottom end and big carbs at the top end with no flat spots in between..............also my engine seems reasonably economical with them (no accelerator pumps).........................but dont tell everyone else you wont get a set of carbs for £40 upwards
pajsh

posted on 19/4/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in a similar position having a 1.6 pinto in at the moment (standard twin weber) and a 2.0 waiting to be stripped and rebuilt some time in the future.

As it may be some time (money and time allowing) before I get to the replacement stage your R1 conversion would be of great interest in between engines.

Can you detail what you got, how much it cost and how easy it was to fit. I guess it's not just 4 R1 carbs bolted on a manifold and plumbed in. Presumably there is some ignition work to do to.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

andyharding

posted on 19/4/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil. S
What did you have on before?

Standard Weber DFTH?

andyharding

posted on 19/4/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
I'm in a similar position having a 1.6 pinto in at the moment (standard twin weber) and a 2.0 waiting to be stripped and rebuilt some time in the future.

As it may be some time (money and time allowing) before I get to the replacement stage your R1 conversion would be of great interest in between engines.

Can you detail what you got, how much it cost and how easy it was to fit. I guess it's not just 4 R1 carbs bolted on a manifold and plumbed in. Presumably there is some ignition work to do to.

The kit from Bogg Bros cost about £305 including delivery. It included the manifold ready fitted with R1 carbs re-jetted to suit a 2L Pinto.

I just disconnected the vacuum advance on the dizzy. No other ignition changes. I may fit an Aldon vacuumless dizzy if needed in the future.

I bolted on the manifold, connected the fuel and coolant hoses, stuck a screwdriver in the choke lever and turned the key. It went first time.

I then bodged the throttle linkage as in the photos so I could take a test drive.

All that's needed is to fit proper throttle and choke cables, fit an air filter and figure out what to do with the crank case breather.

Certainly much easier than fitting twin Webers. I tried that and gave up.

jacko

posted on 19/4/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i am very pleased to hear your happy about the conversion i have fitted zx9r carbs to a 20l pinto and it is been rolling roaded at bogg brothers on friday
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 19/4/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Bogg is a wizard with car set up. I took a westfield there years ago and he transformed it from a quick car to a bloody quick car in about 1 hour and £50.00 later.

Brilliant

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

pajsh

posted on 19/4/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds very attractive.

I presume they might need rejetting for the either the 1.6 or the 2.0 but even so, as you say, sounds easier than twin webortos.

Megajolt is presumably the next step.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

flak monkey

posted on 19/4/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly look the business

I might consider that as a furture upgrade, sounds very cost effective. I would like to know what sort of power you get out of your 2litre pinto when you get them fitted.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Phil. S

posted on 19/4/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think the fact that the inlets to pistons 1 and 4 is slightly longer than the those to 2 and 3 will have any bad effects? Just wondering whether it is worth paying the extra for them to space the carbs.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

DarrenW

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Im pleased you posted this Andy - gives me confidence for my project. Im fitting megajolt first then ZZR1100 carbs to my pinto. Dene0 is making me a manifold - a bit cheaper than Boggs as well. Ill post later what i find.

BTW - what jets do you have? (they may have redrilled std jets so i guess the Q should be what did they drill them out to?)

andyharding

posted on 20/4/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil. S
Do you think the fact that the inlets to pistons 1 and 4 is slightly longer than the those to 2 and 3 will have any bad effects? Just wondering whether it is worth paying the extra for them to space the carbs.

Doesn't worry me at all tbh.

andyharding

posted on 20/4/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Im pleased you posted this Andy - gives me confidence for my project. Im fitting megajolt first then ZZR1100 carbs to my pinto. Dene0 is making me a manifold - a bit cheaper than Boggs as well. Ill post later what i find.

BTW - what jets do you have? (they may have redrilled std jets so i guess the Q should be what did they drill them out to?)

Std jets are drilled but no idea what size I'm afraid.

DarrenW

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Andy - i think 200 jets are good for 2.0 pinto.

Ive gone the non-boggs route with my conversion. If it works out well i think my supplier will offer a similar conversion at a far lower cost. i will be posting the results in my thread on the subject. Same guy also does fantastic fuel / catch / header tanks in ali. It is a hobby though so usual patience rules apply rather than the now worrying norm lets-slag-off-the-traders-for-being-late rules.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.