Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 / Bellhousing experts?
CairB

posted on 3/5/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 / Bellhousing experts?

I found a slight leak from the bellhousing / gearbox region of my quaife gearbox and TitanMotorsport Duratec bell housing. When I removed the bellhousing the shaft shown in red on the first picture was protruding by about 4mm. It would rotate through about 90 degrees and if I rotated it and pushed it went back in. There did not appear to be any problem or excessive noise, other than the usual from cross cut gears, and nothing seemed untoward when I looked in the box.

I'm not sure if the leak was from here or the front seal but it seems strange to me that on the standard bellhousing the region where the shaft was protruding was flush and would seal against the gasket wheras the Titan bellhousing (and Raceline from the picture on their website) have this area as a recess in the casting.

Anyone any thoughts?

&

Anyone an exploded view of the gearbox as I'm curious as to the detail of the layshaft in the casing around the front bearing?

QuaifeGearbox
QuaifeGearbox
QuaifeGearbox

StandardBellhousing
StandardBellhousing
StandardBellhousing

TitanBellhousing
TitanBellhousing
TitanBellhousing

Cheers,

Colin

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CairB
I'm not sure if the leak was from here or the front seal but it seems strange to me that on the standard bellhousing the region where the shaft was protruding was flush and would seal against the gasket wheras the Titan bellhousing (and Raceline from the picture on their website) have this area as a recess in the casting.

The recess in the bellhousing is to cater for the heavy duty Type 9 boxes. The layshaft on these is supported by a larger roller bearing and the housing for this protudes from the front of the gearbox housing.

I don't know anything about the quaife box, but I would think that the shaft is meant to be retained by the bellhousing. You could probably glue/screw a suitable alloy spacer to the bellhousing to prevent it moving out if this is the case. One of the products used for locking bearings into worn housings might be suitable if the oil is leaking from there.

[Edited on 4/5/06 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, exactly spot on advice.

The ally bellhousing is designed for the heavy duty type 9 (which all quaife boxes built by the factory should be based on, which is strange!!!)

If you are sticking with the std layshaft arrangement then make up a spacer to retain the layshaft. If it comes out of the casing at the other end you will be in a big mess!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

CairB

posted on 4/5/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, Nat,

Thanks for that.

A bit more research has revealed as you both said but apparently the heavy duty gearset were put into the non HD boxes.

I'm going the fill in the recess to hold the shaft in and seal, I even dug out a suitable piece of ally last night.

Apparently if the shaft comes out about 12-16mm the needles drop out, glad I looked.

I wonder how many others are in a similar position?

Cheers,

Colin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.