Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost on a too small trailer
Micael

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Locost on a too small trailer

Due to the weight regulations here in sweden it's almost impossible to rent a car trailer that i'm alowed to tow with my Saab 9-5 (with standrad car driver license).
So I have tried this. With this setup i manage to follow the weight regulations.

It is a wooden frame that stands on the floor of the trailer and the frame walls are at the same hight as the trailer walls. So the load are on both walls.

Do you think this is doable? Any suggestions of improvement?

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Micael

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
and this

Micael Moose Åman

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Micael

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
And this

Micael Moose Åman

joneh

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure if you did that in the UK, you'd get pulled over by the fuzz before pulling out of your drive!

If sweden is stricter on towing regulations I can't see it being long before you get pulled over, assuming your car hasn't already fallen off.

nick205

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
how did you get it on there?

As above, I can't see the Swedish Babylon taking too kindly to that crusing past them - I know the English Polizei would feel the need to discuss it with you.

If the car is registered and taxed etc could you not use a towing dolly so the locost rolls on it's own back wheels? Would get around the weight issue.

Nick

RazMan

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
My first thought was that it doesn't look stable - the centre of gravity is far too high for safety. Also, if Swedish regs are based on trailer size then won't the car make the trailer over these size limits?

Either way I wouldn't be happy with my car balancing on top of a trailer

[Edited on 7-8-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
if it was me...........i wouldnt tow it.

Danozeman

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt tow it. If that slipped even an inch it would be unstable and probably slide off.

Your better getting a light weight proper one made up or a towing dolly.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Micael

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
My first thought was that it doesn't look stable - the centre of gravity is far too high for safety. Also, if Swedish regs are based on trailer size then won't the car make the trailer over these size limits?

Either way I wouldn't be happy with my car balancing on top of a trailer

[Edited on 7-8-06 by RazMan]

I have looked at my sisters horse trailer and that is high center of gravity. So i don't think that is a problem.

The car is not outside the wheel and its only 30 cm over the back wall.

I'm allowed to load the trailer with 650 kg and the car weighs 580 kg, so that makes it 70 kg on the wood structure.

I'm more intrested in if the car can move or so. I will ofcorse strap it to the trailer.

Micael Moose Åman

Micael

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
how did you get it on there?

As above, I can't see the Swedish Babylon taking too kindly to that crusing past them - I know the English Polizei would feel the need to discuss it with you.

If the car is registered and taxed etc could you not use a towing dolly so the locost rolls on it's own back wheels? Would get around the weight issue.

Nick

In sweden you are not alowed to use a dolly over 30 km/h, the same goes for a towbar. so that is not an option

The trailer has an tilt function so it's not that hard to get it up there. I made two small ramps and drove it up the tilted it down.

The triler is a snowmoble type and the tilt function makes easy to drive the snowmobiles up on it.

[Edited on 7/8/06 by Micael]

Micael Moose Åman

joneh

posted on 7/8/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
You have a high load that is ballanced on the outer edges of that trailer. When you go round a corner the trailer suspension will dip. The car only has to move a few inches and you'll roll the trailer.

Be safe! Is it worth risking all your hard work / life?

matt_claydon

posted on 7/8/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going to go with this, I would weld on some 'U' or 'L' channels for the wheels so that there is no chance of the car moving sideways and falling off the trailer.

I agree with others' comments about the high COG, though it may not be as bad as it looks!

nick205

posted on 7/8/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The trailer has an tilt function so it's not that hard to get it up there. I made two small ramps and drove it up the tilted it down.

You are a baver man then me if you drove that on that trailer when it was tilted up

How far and often do you need to move the car?

Might be easier to hire a flatbed van with ramps and move it that way.

Nick

G.Man

posted on 7/8/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch the trialer and get an A-Frame towing bar..

That is just dangerous..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

trextr7monkey

posted on 7/8/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not an expert and not wishing to interfere but once car is on the trailer can you not actually remove the wheels, stash them undernearth and then strap whole job down onto the trailer?
Certainly wouldn' t look so risky to bystanders in blue suits and gets a bit more weight off the sides???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Jonte

posted on 7/8/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Ditch the trialer and get an A-Frame towing bar..

not legal in sweden

Click it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't rent a proper car trailer, and you can't use an A-frame/towing dolly, I'd be tempted to hire a proper transporter (a small truck with a ramp) or get a company to shift it. It's just too risky on that thing. It could ruin your day/month/year if it fell off on a bumpy corner.

I'm not sure that trailer is even rated for that load - it may be plated for 750kg or whatever, but in that sort of trailer that means an evenly-distributed load - you are loading it at 2 points furthest from the pivot (the axle), with the risk of breaking its back. If you look at the proper car transporter trailer in the picture you'll see that its structure is totally different - it's a much stronger beam, it's lower and it's wider. It's still only got 2 wheels, but the structure around the axle area was massive.

David

[Edited on 7/8/06 by David Jenkins]

Micael

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
New and improved version.

Micael Moose Åman

Micael

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
and this

Micael Moose Åman

Micael

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
and this

Micael Moose Åman

Micael

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
this

Micael Moose Åman

Micael

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
and this

Micael Moose Åman

G.Man

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
That is a disaster waiting to happen...

One corner slightly too fast and the car will be off...

The bed needs to be lower than the top of the trailer wheels, or a lot wider...

The other alternative is a towing rig that the breakdown guys use, 2 wheel trailer that lifts only the front wheels... you then gain the stability of the rear wheels being on the road...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

RazMan

posted on 11/8/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
That is a disaster waiting to happen...

Yep, you may have improved the distribution of the load but c of g is still way too high. I reckon you could turn the whole lot over by just leaning on the car's side.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Marcus

posted on 11/8/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure the centre of gravity is the problem here, I've towen numerous cars on 'tall' trailers with no problems.
I think the issue is that the load is being taken by the SIDES of the trailer. The 750kg limit is for evenly distributed loads on the trailer BED. The sides are not designed to take the weight of a car. Please take it off!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.