Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Returning to education.
DorsetStrider

posted on 14/8/06 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Returning to education.

Well at the rip old age of 30 having spent the last 15 years in dead end no prospect jobs I appear to be on the verge of becoming a student again. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about this but I figure what do I have to lose?

I'll be studying motor mechanics (theres a surprise) with a view to getting a bit of paper that will help me get a job. Who know's I might even learn how to get this bloody bolt undone! lol

ANYWAY..... I'm going to be taking a test/assessment/exam thingy on tuesday morning so the college can check my suitability for the course. I'm sure it's just a formality but always being nervous around tests I was wondering if any of you helpful lot have taken this (or similar) test and could let me know what I'm in for?

As always thanks in advance.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

leto

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I went to study at a university for three years when I was around 40 just to get a paper that I could do the job I had been doing for 10 years by then. I had a very good time, learned a lot and it certainly made a difference career vice. Best of luck! And a small advice: The way the youngsters party can be quite lethal to a older man, so take it easy

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you fancy doing anything else once you've finished that course, i wholeheartedly recommend the open university. I started my BSc Hons degree in environmental studies at age 30, finished it last year and am now doing a Ba.

Its a bit sad but now i'm in the habit of the ou, i find i dont want to stop.

Dont worry about the course you're doing- well done for making the move to go for it and i'm sure you'll have loads of fun on the way Lots of people talk about going back to study but not that many actually do it!!

MartinDB

posted on 14/8/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I returned to university 2 years ago at 34 and I'm no-where near the oldest in the classes.
It's also fairly certain judging by some of the students, that as long as you can pay, you're in .

Martin.

spunky

posted on 14/8/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Well done mate, I too am going back to school, for a short evening course.
It is quite daunting, i'm 38

The test is a basic numeracy and literacy test, can't see it being a problem.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

cadebytiger

posted on 14/8/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still at uni. Don't seem to be able to leave! almost 24 now and doing a phd. I would not worry about the exam. Like said it will just be a numeracy thing. As long as you get your name right you will be well away!

Rupert

DorsetStrider

posted on 14/8/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your kind words of support. And leto beleive me when I say that I am well aware that at 30 I can no longer party the way I did when I was 18... although I am constantly surprised that I survived some of those parties first time around

Thanks again for the support guys as I'm now feeling a lot less nervous about tomorrows test.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

caber

posted on 14/8/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Errr 52 and just signing up to do an MSc but I don't get to spend too much time away from work:-( I have to do all thesis and coursework but not attend lectures!

Caber

David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I finished my MSc just before my 50th birthday - I enjoyed "going back to school" (well, OU anyway).

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.