Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Timer for starter button.
Danozeman

posted on 16/8/06 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Timer for starter button.

To any leccy boffins out there.

Can i use this as a timer on my starter button so its not live all the time?? Im thinking say set it to be live for 60 secs then off.

I have some mates that will touch it while im driving u see, and im sure my daughter will when shes older too.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
You probably could...
But i would advise against it.
What happens IF you stall the car on a level crossing? :0
Or, slightly less dangerous, but more likely, in the middle of a busy junction?
Perhaps one with a doomsday cover might be more appropriate, so it can be got at quickly if needed.
Though if I thought one of my mates was going to hit the starter button at 70 MPH he would'nt have gotten in the car in the first place
Regards

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Guinness

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
would it not be easier to wire the button so that it won't work when the engine is running?

perhaps using a relay powered from the alternator? when cranking the engine the alt won't put out much juice, but once running the charge light should go out and flip the relay?

just an idea.

mike

donut

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
You could wire in a seperate switch that would 'arm' the start system. Deckman did it on mine and it worked a treat. Just flick the switch to start then flick it off and the start button stops working.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
would it not be easier to wire the button so that it won't work when the engine is running?

perhaps using a relay powered from the alternator? when cranking the engine the alt won't put out much juice, but once running the charge light should go out and flip the relay?

just an idea.

mike

Thats exactly what i have been thinking of doing......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

leto

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I type to slow, as usual

The kit is intended to make things blink but it can be used like you want to but that will take some special weiring not covered in the manual. As ReMan say, reseting the circuit is an issue. Also the spec on the homepage say the relay is 3 A, that might be low.
A simple solution is moving the starter button to the other side of the wheel.
It might be possible to wire up a double, switching relay so that the starter only can engage when the generator lamp is lit but run as long a the button is pressed.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

ReMan

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Call me simple and many do, but I can't understand why you want a switch to turn on a switch?
02GF74

posted on 16/8/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
To any leccy boffins out there.

Can i use this as a timer on my starter button so its not live all the time?? Im thinking say set it to be live for 60 secs then off.

I have some mates that will touch it while im driving u see, and im sure my daughter will when shes older too.

a hard slap or punch in the face would mean that each person should only do it once - how many mates and daughters have you got?

pressing the starter when the engine running once in a while isn't going to hurt it - how often do you think it will happen? (when it does, just punch harder )

I'd say leave it as it is for safety reasons stated.

Aboardman

posted on 16/8/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
put the starter button on your side of the steering wheel so they cannot reach it.
James

posted on 16/8/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

Maybe them walking home from wherever you've just stopped and kicked them out will give the right encouragement...

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Danozeman

posted on 16/8/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Im just toying with the idea at the min.. A swift punch to the mouth would work.

I wont do this until after the sva anyway so just looking at my options.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

zetec

posted on 16/8/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I just wired mine so it switches a relay, the power to switch the relay comes from the ignition light. Engine starts, ignition light goes out, relay wont work so button dead, easy.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

MkIndy7

posted on 16/8/06 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can't remember if we tried the Alternator light and it went out while cranking and the same with the oil light.

On ours you turn the key to the engine start position, then when its released the timer starts and the starter button is live.
We used an interior light delay relay so the button is live for 10 seconds after that it goes dead (is ususally long enough folr cold mornings or when its been sat a while).

And best of all FREE from the donor and saves all those chrunchy "whats this Do!" moments

JoelP

posted on 19/8/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
on a car engine, you can just earth the starter relay via the oil pressure switch. Hence it cant operate when the engine is running. I cant remember if my bike engine has a specific oil switch or not, but i think it does.
MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on health of engine it could build enough pressure on starter to operated pressure switch, which could stop the starter motor before it's started!
tks

posted on 23/8/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
mhh

on my bike engine i'm sure oil pressure goes out while starting..

regards,

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

JamJah

posted on 23/8/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I some production cars require you to have the key at the traditional starter postion (pos 4?).
If this is the case when you take pressure off the key and it returns to its normal positon (pos 3) surely the button is in active.

If I have lost you I am basically saying that the switch is wired in parrell to the original key ignigion so both need be active to turn the car over.
This can be operated by any two handed person but still an added security/looks good toy.
if i am right about this surely is just cutting and extending the appropiate wire? if i am not i am sure the hoards will publically stone me.

daKlone

posted on 23/8/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about a system like this?

To start car using button:

1) Key must be in and ignition on
2) Oil pressure must be zero (low enough for warning light, anyway)
3) Starter button must be pressed
4) Once there is oil pressure, the starter button no longer works after it has been released - but doesn't cut out as soon as the oil pressure rises.

This would be relatively simple to arrange using a couple of relays. If this method sounds interesting I'll draw it up for you if you like.

[Edited on 23/8/06 by daKlone]

dK

Winter is coming...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.