Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best chassis to construct ???????????????/
forrest

posted on 27/8/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Best chassis to construct ???????????????/

Big hello and lots or respect to all the builders on here.
After rolling ( 7 times )my purpose built track car, a Mk 3 xr3i , its time to build another car, so a lightweight chassis is the way foward.

I am new to the construction side of a chassis and would like your opinions and advise on what type of chassis i should be building.

Car will be for track days only not road use ( but i might consider a further build for road use if it is as much fun as everyone say's it it).

I have a 2.0 Ltr Zetec with twin 45 webbers, and a 2wd cosworth box, which came with a quaith diff, and all drive shafts and hubs and the prop.

Do i build to the book, with a de dion rear end or IRS, or do i need to follow the McSorly 7+4 to accomodate the taller engine.

I look foward to your reply's and thanks inadvance.

Forrest

big_wasa

posted on 27/8/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
your motor will go fine in a book chassis.

<------------------------

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the nuthouse.

Not wanting to dissuade you from building your own chassis but it can sometimes be both cheaper and quicker to buy a manufacturers chassis. Depends on your particular circumstances really but it is another option. Apologies if you've already looked into this and decided to build your own.

Before long someone will come on extolling the virtues of powerful bike engines, particularly in track orientated cars. Again, just another consideration for you and apologies if you've already looked into this and still decided to go CEC instead of BEC.

Phil

forrest

posted on 27/8/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome, dont realy know a lot about bike engines, but i have been tracking a zetec for the last 4 years so i understand them a bit .
dont realy want to buy a chassis, nothing more satisfying than doing it your self so to speak.

Is the book chassis ok to take all the cossie shafts ect as it is or do they need shortening ?

MikeRJ

posted on 27/8/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
The book chassis is designed for a live axle, so it won't take the Sierra diff and driveshafts as it stands.

Your'e choices boil down to using a De-dion axle with a few mods to the chassis, or an independant setup (IRS) which will involve considerable redesign (or buy the plans and bits from one of the manufacturers).

You can use the standard length Sierra driveshafts, but this gives a track about 4" wider than standard, so either build a 4" wider chassis, or use longer front wishbones and extra wide rear arches on a book chassis (yeuch!)

forrest

posted on 27/8/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You can use the standard length Sierra driveshafts, but this gives a track about 4" wider than standard, so either build a 4" wider chassis, or use longer front wishbones and extra wide rear arches on a book chassis (yeuch!)

Can i just increase the whole chassis by 4" following the book and making adjustments where neded ?
I would like to use an IRS set up like the rorty type, is this still ok with the book chassis?

Its so confusing, thanks for the help its much appreciated.

Forrest

JoelP

posted on 27/8/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
book has several errors in it. Probably best to use mcsorleys plans, modified at will.
leto

posted on 28/8/06 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
The ride hight on book chassis might be a little to high for a track car. Using 25x50 for the bottom frame members will lower the ride hight. Also IMHO you should keep it as narrow as possible.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

scotty g

posted on 28/8/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I am using a GTS chassis, you can buy the plans off their website for e tenner and they do standard width of +4 width, both use the de-dion set up and it works very well.
One problem with the +4 option is there are not many companies doing GRP body work to fit, the only one i know of is GTS, Luego do bodywork for their Viento but thats bally huge.

forrest

posted on 28/8/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, gona get a set of drawings from GTS.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.