Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rolls royce merlin anyone?
Oliver Coles

posted on 27/9/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Rolls royce merlin anyone?

i would definatly want one of these.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-824684303643650764&q=rolls+royce+merline

donut

posted on 27/9/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is a toy i would like!!

'toy' meaning boyz toyz!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 27/9/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Built by a (IIRC) prototype engineer, down London direction. He made and machined from scratch every single part, even the scale magneto's (2 off) and spark plugs (2 per cylinder). Again, if I remember correctly, it was circa 1980.
First displayed and run at a scale model/engineering show down London way.

Still one heck of a job though.

[Edited on 27/9/06 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Chippy

posted on 27/9/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Beautiful bit of engineering, but just lacks that real merlin soundtrack. Ray
NS Dev

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
how about doing what good old charlie broomfield (PPC mag mechanic chap from Rutland) did and stick a meteor (non supercharged merlin basically) into a Rover SD1!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JackNco

posted on 29/9/06 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
A guy put a full sized merlin in a home build car in germany i think. i knwo he stuck a merc barch on the froont for a laugh n the biys at merc got a few calls from people asking what it was, was it a prototype and could they pre order it.

Sumit like 815BHP Nasp and up to 1200BHP tuned power as well.....

bet thats a tyre shreder.

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/9/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
John dodds was the guy. Home built his own Rolls Royce with an engine out of a Spitfire, complete with a Rolls Royce Grille.
First reports of it was from an irate Ferrari owner, he got overtaken at somthing like 120mph by a Roller on the german autobahn and didn't like it so he accelerated but the guy just kept pulling away. Apparently he gave up trying to catch him at 180mph cos he was still pulling away.

Rolls royce later sued john dodds and he had to remove the grille.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

JackNco

posted on 29/9/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
uh im sure the version i herd it was a merc. but thats sounds about right

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

chockymonster

posted on 29/9/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
uh im sure the version i herd it was a merc. but thats sounds about right

Definately a rolls royce.

He got clocked by the german police on the autobahn on the way to Calais. The Germans alerted the french but by the time they got everything organised to stop him he was already in Calais ready to board the ferry!

I seem to remember that he actually had a spitfire too.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

JackNco

posted on 29/9/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
lol, theres a guy that knew what he was doing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.