Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator Vibration
Dusty

posted on 16/10/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator Vibration

I saw a thread on vibration when the alternator is mounted on the inlet side on a zetec. Couldn't work out why this should be.
Looking at a blacktop if the alternator is mounted low on the exhaust side it looks as if the belt runs would be significantly shorter. Is this the explanation? Rescued attachment Vibration.JPG
Rescued attachment Vibration.JPG

lsdweb

posted on 16/10/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had no problem with mine (Silvertop).

Photos here and here

Regards

Wyn

James

posted on 16/10/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Could be to keep it out the way of the steering column. Or a chassis rail.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 16/10/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
what sort of vibration? is the alternator bolted up pretty tight as that is how the blet is tensionsed? (it was on older engines)

the reinfroced rubber belt will have some in built stretchiness that wold act as a damper - dunno if the length is the reason.

Dusty

posted on 16/10/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I have been thinking about it since I saw the post and trying to work out why. Some said they had no problems, others that it is a well known problem. I was just wondering why.
My own engine is OK apart from a vibration around 3000 + or - 200 rpm and I have this wether the alternator is on or not. I haven't worked out the source yet but not alternator.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.