Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finally .... IT'S MAPPED!
RazMan

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Finally .... IT'S MAPPED!

I went back for my final mapping session today and despite a few 'challenges' we actually finished this time.

We got 202.6 bhp @ 6537 rpm & 180.3 lbft @4983 rpm and I'm fairly happy with that for the time being ....... until the supercharger gets strapped on

Not without drama though - at an indicated 150mph a CV boot blew and covered everything (and everyone) with the Satan's snot that is CV grease ............ what a mess!

Next stop SVA

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
congrats razman!

did you take it back to the same place in the end?

a little suprised it didn't make a bit more than that if I'm honest. my 2ltr 4pot made more power with a little less torque but with forced induction you should be cooking on gas

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 26/10/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I went back to the same place, as they had already part-mapped it and it really just needed tidying up.
I was expecting about 200bhp as the standard V6 makes about 170bhp and I have simply added the SVT200 top end - ideal for some FI action later
If I had the choice of engine again, I probably wouldn't go for the V6 - mainly due to the expense of getting a custom ecu and loom. Still ..... it sounds really nice at full chat!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

greggors84

posted on 26/10/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I take it the 3 cats have gone too.

Ive been looking at the SVT inlet for my ST24, its got a superchip and cat back exhaust but no idea what its running. Super chips quote +15bhp, but im not so sure.

You get the parts from the states?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
All the cats have run off and I am running an MBE ecu.
I got the SVT stuff from an American Contour which has the same engine as the SVT200 over here. Nice, easy mod which literally took less than an hour to do, although I also removed the secondary butterflies to increase airflow a little more. I am still running the ST24 throttle body so there might be a couple more horses waiting to be released once I find an SVT TB (about 3mm larger bore iirc)

Cheers,
Raz

NS Dev

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Yep, I went back to the same place, as they had already part-mapped it and it really just needed tidying up.
I was expecting about 200bhp as the standard V6 makes about 170bhp and I have simply added the SVT200 top end - ideal for some FI action later
If I had the choice of engine again, I probably wouldn't go for the V6 - mainly due to the expense of getting a custom ecu and loom. Still ..... it sounds really nice at full chat!

Nice one!! Glad to hear you've got it sorted!!!

I wouldn't choose the V6, you want a vauxhall blah blah!! lol

Of course I would choose the v6, it sounds so much better its worth it just for that alone!!!!!

Myself of course, would never select an engine on noise characteristics, I'm using the v twins purely because of their torque curve......................

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned

a little suprised it didn't make a bit more than that if I'm honest.

Are these instruments calibrated to some strict standard? I somehow doubt it and I'll bet 50 p that if you took it to another RR, you will get different numbers.

big numbers = bragging rights but the proof is in the driving so don't worry about it.

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Are these instruments calibrated to some strict standard? I somehow doubt it and I'll bet 50 p that if you took it to another RR, you will get different numbers.

I am certainly not aware of any calibration rules regarding these places, and I have no doubt that some of the more chavvy RR companies massage their figures to attract the 'my dick is bigger than yours' brigade.
The company I went to have done a lot with Noble and a few other prestigious companies (although they probably all say that) and they certainly seemed to know their stuff - but mapping is just like Voodoo to me so I probably wouldn't know if they were crap anyway!

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Well I'm pretty sure Razman went to the same rollers as I did so we could do a direct comparison

Are there aftermarket cams available for your engine to allow the engine to pickup a bit better or will you have to be careful on any cam choice to suit a blower?

Ned.

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
The name of the company is Track'n'Road Power Performance in Rainham - is that the place Ned?

Sadly the V6 is not really supported very well by the tuning companies and finding anything in the UK can be a bit of a challenge, hence my SVT import.

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
yep that's where I went, the two steve's.

my roller plot is in my archive.

Ned.

ps you got any pics?
like this?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_2089b.jpg
also got a couple of vids on my putfile account:
http://media.putfile.com/rolling-road-93
http://media.putfile.com/rolling-road-75

[Edited on 27/10/06 by ned]

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
That's them!
I tried to take a video of the power run but when the CV boot blew, it scared the bejesus out of me so much I fumbled the camera and managed to delete it!

Your vids are good! Notice that metallic noise on the slow-down? I thought that was coming from my engine

[Edited on 27-10-06 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Rolling Road.jpg
Rescued attachment Rolling Road.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I had heard there was a lack of support but at the sametime I am quite suprised as I know noble and I'm sure someone else uses turbocharged versions of your engine. I also know that mountune have done a LOT of work with the ford derived v6's with jag heads ie the x/s-type 3.0 v6 unit. I've spoken to Ewan at Juno and they're upto 400 odd bhp now with their large bore top spec package when I saw them at a britsports meeting earlier in the year.

Are the jag heads a straight swap and are they worth any more hp on their own or in conjunction with some tuning bits (if available)?

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The Jag heads probably wouldn't drop straight on as they are 3 litre and use single ports which are oval in shape. I definitely think that supercharging is the best way to get more power.

Cheers,
Raz

tks

posted on 27/10/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

and the fastest..

not the cheapest..

problems i only smell is how much is the limit of your engine!!

how do you know??

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
problems i only smell is how much is the limit of your engine!!

how do you know??

Easy - when it goes BANG you have reached the limit

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
when it goes BANG you have just passed the limit, simply back it off a bit beforehand and it'll be fine

ps is yours a 2.5 or 3ltr razman?

is the jag engine that different ie would it 'drop' in the space if you ever felt the need? ie engine mounts etc etc.

[Edited on 27/10/06 by ned]

RazMan

posted on 27/10/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a 2.5. The 3.0 Jag engine is pretty much identical as far as most mountings are concerned and I know of a single seater version of my car which is making 330bhp on throttle bodies with super lightweight stuff - it apparently does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

[Edited on 27-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

greggors84

posted on 31/10/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Raz, have you got a link for where you bought the SVT stuff from? Or did you source it yourself?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

RazMan

posted on 31/10/06 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
All sourced via eBay - although I was poking around on some of the US forums hoping to get some info there - might be worth a try.

http://www.contour.org/
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/

[Edited on 31-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

ned

posted on 31/10/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
for the uninformed, what is this SVT stuff you mention ?

[Edited on 31/10/06 by ned]

RazMan

posted on 31/10/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
SVT = Special Vehicle Team and is the US flavoured go-faster goodies arm of Ford.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.