Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC locost
CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
BEC locost

Im going to be starting my build as soon as the new book arrives on my door step.

Ive been thinking alot about what engine to use zetec, pinto, xe, cvh ect but i keep thinking of bike engines. my boss has told me he could get me a decent engine (hes a biker so are all his mates) and its really got me tempted now.

I know how to fit car engines to the kits but i have no idea how to fit the bike engine. The car is going to be built using alot of ally and im only fitting whats needed to make it work so weight should be kept quite low. How do i go about connecting the engine to the rear wheels? i obviously cant bolt it up to a type9 lol so how do you do it? and what would i need to buy/make and what can i still use from a doner car? bike?

Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Its fairly simple, in a nutshell

You need a prop adaptor, remove the sprocket and fit adaptor in its place, the prop bolts too this.

You need a prop shaft with a center bearing, do not consider a one piece prop.

You need too fabricate a gear linkage too connect a gear lever too the foot operated change.

You need from the bike, engine loom, brain, regulator minimum, you can use the bike clocks if you wish.

This just gives you a basic idea as too what you need, when I built my chassis i shortened the passenger foot well too move the engine further back, you may wish too consider this option and the chassis build stage.

Mine weighs in at 440 kgs full tanks, fluids etc.

If you go the BEC route its so well tried and tested now any questions problems you have will be easily answered by someone on here, go for it.

CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
not as bad as i thought.

do you have any pics of the parts? or of your car so i can get an idea of what the bits look like please?

BenB

posted on 10/2/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Good summary

The only addition I'd say is that some bikes are shaft driven not chain driven. They're pretty easy to fit, you just chop the end off the prop and fit a sleeve inside the prop that accepts the shaft. Then weld it all up (or that's what I did anyway)....

CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
ive got a few engines in mind atm blackbird,R1 and hayabusa. are there any you lot would recomend?

richard thomas

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
all of them....

on a purely biased basis i would go for 'busa power

Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Out of the list, R1 for power v pounds spent, busa if you can afford it maybe but ZX12 would be on my list too, along with the Blade at the cheaper end.

Here is a pic of my prop connected too the bike engine, the adaptor just replaces the sprocket, available too buy, i made my own. The sensor you see aiming at the prop is the speed sensor, 2 x magnets stuck too prop.

You can just see part of the gear linkage, mine uses straight rods and M6 rose joints, cable ones can be made/purchased too.

Its all well trodden ground with no unknowns, all parts if you don't fancy making them can be bought these days too, pretty much off the shelf.

A BEC locost will put you in super-car performance territory up too speeds in excess of 3 figures. Rescued attachment prop.jpg
Rescued attachment prop.jpg

zxrlocost

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
the one you are considering and most others is a normal chain driven bike engine Yamaha R1

basically the engine is sideways in the car
so you connect a prop shaft up to where the cog would have gone on the engine

take a look in my archive

[Edited on 10/2/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
just looking at prices and i think the blackbird will probly be my choice just cos its the cheapest at the minute unless my boss can get me a better one cheaper.

imp paul

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
engine

zx12r as the price is right .approx £1500 all in see malk at yorkshire engines .good engine lots of bottem end power o and good luck all the best paul
CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers bud.

what prop shaft is best to use?

Gav

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Ive gone for a blade engine have a look at my website (link below) their is a build gallery which starts from when the steel for the chassis arrived to date where im jsut starting the electrics.
Im also trying write up a reflective build diary but its only half finished atm.
As Jon said though its tried and tested now and any questions should easily be answered here.

Gav

posted on 10/2/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Best bet is to get one made to order once you know the lengths from the diff to the engine, their is usually a splined silder at one end which allows for a little gave and take in the measurements.
Since your in wakefield, Dunning and Fair bank are in leeds iirc, their is a thread on this subject in the bec section a few days ago

Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Discount the Blackbird engine, one of the few that's not suitable for a 7 type kit.
BenB

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Why can't you use a Bbird in a Locost? I know they have a habit of blowing due to oil pressure problems- but that's the engine rather than the car....
Just curious....

Jon Ison

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Bird is a great engine, when turned 90* too suit a BEC application number 3 big end gets starved of oil, engine goes pop, 99.9% guaranteed too happen without dry sump or minimum accusump, don't fit a bird.

I ran a bird mounted transversely, correct way around for years with no problems, they have the life expectancy of a butterfly when fitted in a 7 without some sort of oil surge/starvation protection

BenB

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, fair enough, its the same old problem..... Dry sumping works but it costs! Nova Racing do a dry sump kit for £575+VAT+carriage but that doesn't include the dry sump oil tank....

The R1 suddenly looks very attractive, eh???!!

Coose

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second what Jon has said. When you bear in mind that there isn't much cost-wise between an R1 and a 'Bird, and cetrainly not that much performance-wise, you do have to spend a lot more on a 'Bird to make it reasonably reliable....

Saying that, I do know someone who has a 'Bird in a Westie and it's done a collosal mileage! It isn't dry-sumped, though think he has an Accusump.

John - have you been driving your car through the sea?

Spin 'er off Well...

richard thomas

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If I was to build another that's what I'd go for!! Not a great deal between that and a busa. Plus the difference in cost would pay for lots of lovely alloy brakes, uprights etc.
DIY Si

posted on 10/2/07 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
On the road they seem to be ok, but for track use the cornering is hard enough to cause issues. Having said that, I may have managed to do it to mine on the road.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
If i go for the R1 lump or a 900blade will the sumps have to be modified?

Coose

posted on 10/2/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you go for a 98-03 R1you'll need a baffle plate (around £50 + a sump gasket) plus overfill it with oil to the top of the sightglass at tickover.

A carb'd Blade is fine I think (up to '98), though I'm not sure about the later ones....

Spin 'er off Well...

zxrlocost

posted on 10/2/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
all i did was top mine up with an extra 250ml of oil
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

CraigJ

posted on 10/2/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Think im going to go for the R1. seems the best choice for the money. will be a few months before i can even think of fitting an engine but its good to research lol.

Coose

posted on 10/2/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice - you won't regret it!

Spin 'er off Well...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.