Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Filling type 9 with oil?
coozer

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Filling type 9 with oil?

So, engine and box in, nice.. smug? Doh!, no oil in the gearbox!

Is it possible to fill the box through the gearstick hole? I can't get at the plug on the side because of the bulkhead.

Whats a safe bet to seeing how much is in? I may be able to get the top cover off at a struggle.

Any ideas chaps??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

whitestu

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno if the MNR is tighter for space, but I managed to fill mine in an indy using a longish bit of plastic pipe.

Stu

Fatgadget

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I see no reason why not if you jack the arse right up and take your time. Incidentaly,years ago we used to fill ZF boxes with ATF ..less trickly than the usual hypoid stuff.Made gearchanges less notchy.
coozer

posted on 12/4/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, imagine a bike engine chassis with the tunnel custom built to suit the type 9 and what you get is snugger than a 3 some under the duvet! Rescued attachment Tunnel.JPG
Rescued attachment Tunnel.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Stu16v

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, you cant fill a type 9 through the gearbox hole...

Dont just build it.....make it!

Humbug

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
You could cut a hole in the side of the tunnel, top up with oil and make a little panel to cover the opening. That's what I did after quite a lot of oil seemed to pour out the back of the gearbox while I was fitting the engine+box... I didn't want to risk it being too low on oil. The cover is fixed with silicone sealant and 4 self-tappers, so I can use it again if necessary

[Edited on 12.04.2007 by Humbug]

caber

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I am planning to cut a hole in the tunnel and stick a big blind grommet in much like a series land Rover

Caber

Peteff

posted on 12/4/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could fill it through the plate bolted on top of the box, but it might be a bit hit and miss on the level.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
you sure you cannot get to it? they have a square hole large grub screw thing - mine is quite awkward to get at but using the blue multi-way apnner from halfrods, there is just enough room to get it in and swing it.

Otherwise you need to cut a side hatch.
The gearstick fits in a remote that AFAIK isn't connected to the gearbox internals.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
The gearstick hole is completely isolated from the gears - can't get it in that way!

I took the cover off mine and drilled a hole in the front-right corner. I then brazed/silver-soldered a threaded boss into the hole and fitted a brass threaded plug. One of these days I intend to fit a dipstick to the plug! (the front-right corner is the only place where a dipstick can reach the bottom of the box without colliding with gears and stuff).

If that's too complicated, then removing the cover is your only hope - unless you cut a hole in the tunnel wall alongside the filler bung.

[Edited on 13/4/07 by David Jenkins]

DarrenW

posted on 13/4/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I filled mine via the top cover and just looked carefully until oil level is to the bottom of the filler plug.

seadog

posted on 13/4/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, likewise. I shall be filling mine up via the same method. Picking up the top plate gasket I've had on order from Ford's this lunchtime.

[Edited on 13/4/07 by seadog]

MikeRJ

posted on 13/4/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Hmm, imagine a bike engine chassis with the tunnel custom built to suit the type 9 and what you get is snugger than a 3 some under the duvet!

That is a bit of a squeeze! Have you had any problems running the wiring loom and brake/fuel pipes down the tunnel? Space is a bit tight in my Striker, but I have it easy compared to you.

martyn_16v

posted on 13/4/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I imagine i'm going to have similar problems, the tunnel on the new indy chassis is just as slim. I can't actually get the gearbox in and out without taking the reverse light switch off it's that narrow Wiring and fuel/brake lines aren't too much of a problem though, they can go along the top of the tunnel as there's plenty of room height-wise, it's just the width that's tight for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.