Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying megasquirt
oadamo

posted on 15/4/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
buying megasquirt

hi iam looking at buying megasquirt how much will i be looking at paying. what are the pros and cons of v2/v3
thanks adam

stevebubs

posted on 16/4/07 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
I went for a V3.0 board for similar reasons given by CalvinX.

Although not installed yet, I've plumped for MSnS-E code on MS-I processor over MS-II processor/code. Basis for this was the development state of the MS-II code.

darrens

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
V3 MSII for same reasons, although there is extra code with the nice features that works with MSI, these will most probably be available soon for MSII.

Have V3 fitted to RV8 on port injection, after a few setup issues (mainly my itelligence) now working bonza!

I think I paid £200, but that was awhile ago and in kit form and you do get everything to complete the build. You do need to make up your own RS232 lead though.

[Edited on 16/4/07 by darrens]

[Edited on 16/4/07 by darrens]

TangoMan

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of good advice there. I went for MS1 V3 as I wanted the direct coil drivers and various other options not yet available in MS2.
Also the MS2 is notably more expensive but doesn't yet have sufficient development to support the extra price.

Summer's here!!!!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
May want to check out VEMS?

European design, started as a megasquirt redesign, but latest design has been a brand new design ground up, still shares same software with megasquirt now.

http://megasquirtavr.sourceforge.net/
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=MembersPage%2FPhatBob%2FUserGuide
http://www.vems.co.uk/

I'm not at the stage of buying a ECU, but VEMS it will be.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Daz

posted on 16/4/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,
You should have a call from Mr Lav today regarding ECU, Fed up p*****g about with the other one
Boot up your laptop and get ready to play

Daz

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

MS-I V-2.0 has NO VR (crank sensor) circuit as standard and I.M.H.O.P. without quite a few mods is an inferior unit (other might say different though)

MS-1 V3.0 VR/Hall sensor circuits as standard, can use low impedance injectors and has "flyback" circuit and a few other stuff, you can easily modd the V3.0 for full on-board ignition control.

You can use a MS-I 3.0 in standard format with an edis unit, but I personally don't like them, and others I know are having many problems with them (edis)

Price really depends on the spec (adding extra coil driver, ford bias resistors, on-board USB control , bosch idle control valve high power transistor, etc etc, all adds to the price) and it also depends on if your buying a pre-built unit or a kit format MS unit, it obviously cost you more for a pre-built unit, but you will get a gaurenteed working unit from a ready built one.

Agriv8

posted on 16/4/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
a vote here for VEMS, just got my install up and running with fuel and spark supplied from the Vems.

The Vems unit can just about do anything this can make it a bugger to configure but with what I have seen so far its an excelent peice of kit. I hope to start the self tune drives this week. PS the knock sensor, wideband Lambda and EGT setup is good if you are running high comrestion or turbo set-up

Rob at vems uk is worth a shout if you are in the market for an ECU his step by step guides are very good.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Micael

posted on 17/4/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
The Vems seems to be a good product, but the lack of a support forum made me choose megasquirt. And without the support forum i had never got my engine running.

Vems has some kind of Wiki which i been told has all info one ever could need. But it is a pain to search in it.

Vems has more features and a higher price.

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

Agriv8

posted on 17/4/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
valid points

One that Rob 'the main man behind Vems uk' is keen to resolve and set up a dedicated Vems web support forum this and a couple very knowlegable customers are on hand to keep projects on track.

As more builders including me go through the process the of the dumb questions should soon be an excellent resource.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

darrens

posted on 18/4/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't realise that VEMS also used the Megatune software
se7ensport

posted on 19/4/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've just bought VEMS over MS, the forum is well supported Forum link

[Edited on 19/4/07 by se7ensport]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.