Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wickes patio Doors
DarrenW

posted on 24/4/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Wickes patio Doors

Looking at fitting some french doors to replace knackered sliding patio doors on this house ive just bought.

Wickes upvc doors are a good price. Anyone had any? What are they like?

Im not bothered about long term durability of the plastic etc - selling house asap. Just want them to look decent, work and be secure. Do they come with relevant regs such as Fensa etc. Im sre the solicitors will ask for paperwork to prove compliance when i come to sell.

bilbo

posted on 24/4/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is that if you fit them yourself it's then up to you to get all the relevant inspections etc sorted out to ensure building regs compliance etc. If a fensa registered firm does the work, then it's all done for you - Fensa will send you a certificate when the work is done (they may or may not decide to inspect the work, but they will make all the arrangements and cover costs etc).

HTH

----

Edited to say that the above relates to windows, not sure if it relates to doors as well? My guess is that it does if the frame is being replaced?

[Edited on 24/4/07 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware you don't need any inspections for simply swaping some doors, dead easy job anyway.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bartonp

posted on 24/4/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bilbo
I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is that if you fit them yourself it's then up to you to get all the relevant inspections etc sorted out to ensure building regs compliance etc. If a fensa registered firm does the work, then it's all done for you - Fensa will send you a certificate when the work is done (they may or may not decide to inspect the work, but they will make all the arrangements and cover costs etc).

HTH

----

Edited to say that the above relates to windows, not sure if it relates to doors as well? My guess is that it does if the frame is being replaced?

Only if more than 50% of the door area is glass (like french windows)

[Edited on 24/4/07 by bilbo]

Peteff

posted on 24/4/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any regs on downstairs windows? Upstairs ones have to be big enough to climb out but downstairs should have a door as an alternative.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 24/4/07 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
i think the fiddle around the regs it just say not known when fitted and try and get away with them being fitted by the last owner ages ago. i was just wondering if the diyer has a way to comply anyway. I take it Fensa is like thatcham - ie covers the installer, similar to Corgi and NEIC etc.

I might try and get to a Wickes store and see if they have the doors on display. I dont want Rolls Royce but similarly i dont want a prospective purchaser to be put off by them.

Cheers,
darren.

BMF

posted on 24/4/07 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
They are ok, but not great quality.

Try doing a search for places which sell straight to the public.

I got mine from Tudor Construction in Havant for £500

StevieB

posted on 24/4/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't have any issues with regs for doing a stright swap, it's more the new work that's an issue.

As ffar as any DIY goes, the trades would have you believe that you have to get them to do the work, but you only have to get the work inspected by someone qualified. So you can do the work yourself and just have someone come and make the connections and commission it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.