Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiator fan
diyer

posted on 27/6/07 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
radiator fan

Hi all,

Anyone know a vehicle application that has a 'push' fan, i need a fairly powerful one around the 12" mark.
I know pull fans are more common.

thanks
Simon

Hug a Hoodie!

RazMan

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Quite often you can simply reverse the polarity of the power and reverse the fan blades, making it a 'push' version.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
TimC bought one from SVC - they have the two types. Maybe £40 ?

You're right in saying that reversing the polarity will run the motor backwards, but the angle of the impellers will reduce volume flow.

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
You're right in saying that reversing the polarity will run the motor backwards, but the angle of the impellers will reduce volume flow.

But on many models you can undo 1 nut and turn the fan over... as stated above.

fesycresy

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a dull arse.

Sorry RazMan, I read the post too quick and missed the 'reverse the blades' part.

Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

nitram38

posted on 27/6/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
The really highly efficient fans cannot have their polarity reversed or the fan blade flipped over as the blades are designed for max flow and are curved.
Buy yourself a decent fan from svc (pacet) as low cfm rates might cause you problems.
This is my fan and it goes in front of the rad. Pacet from svc:

rad plus pacet fan
rad plus pacet fan

[Edited on 27/6/2007 by nitram38]

02GF74

posted on 27/6/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Mondeao is the anwer to your troubles. (may be more than 12 inch - I can measure tonight oif it is important)

I can best describe a lot of fans as hainvgtin a moulded cup onto whcih the blades attach - you cannot change the blades round.

RazMan

posted on 27/6/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have done this on a couple of different fans - you simply unbolt the fan assembly and reverse it. I didn't want any obstructions stopping airflow to the rad so I just mounted it on the back of the rad after reversing the polarity & fan - it certainly hasn't harmed cooling at all and keeps my V6 cool with only a Polo rad.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 27/6/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen Dyane and 2CV (if you can find any that haven't fallen apart) have fans in front of the rad. Cheers, Pewe
James

posted on 27/6/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
The really highly efficient fans cannot have their polarity reversed or the fan blade flipped over as the blades are designed for max flow and are curved.
Buy yourself a decent fan from svc (pacet) as low cfm rates might cause you problems.
This is my fan and it goes in front of the rad.

[Edited on 27/6/2007 by nitram38]

Agree with Nitram here, expensive fans have curved blades optimised for air flow, and you'll lose this if you reverse the blades and polarity.

After a lot of research I went for a Pacet one (supplied by Rally Design) as well.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

TangoMan

posted on 27/6/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
diyer,

I have one in the garage which I replaced for a pull type.

I am travelling to Bedworth on Saturday (maybe Friday night) and can bring it with me if you are interested.

Yours for the princely sum of........ nowt

Summer's here!!!!

RazMan

posted on 27/6/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Agree with Nitram here, expensive fans have curved blades optimised for air flow, and you'll lose this if you reverse the blades and polarity.

But that is precisely why you must reverse the fan assembly - to keep the correct profile for the reversed direction. You end up with exactly the same fan .... just running in the direction you need Unless you are thinking of something else?

Cheers,
Raz

bimbleuk

posted on 28/6/07 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with Raz as my Merlin sourced fan is curved and I've reversed the polarity and flipped the fan blades. Also my tip of the day is to rub down the blade edges and get rid of any sharp edges or flashing. Can make a noticeable difference to the noise generated and I assume increases the efficiency by a tiny amount!
Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Peugeot 406 diesels, a massive 400W fan, if I manually switch mine I can get from near overheating to cold in 200yds! If turned on while stationary, the car moves forward very slowly (slight exageration, but REALLY powerful!)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.