Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: audi 1.8t to type 9
oadamo

posted on 18/8/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
audi 1.8t to type 9

hi ive put the gearbox on the engine and the shaft gos through spigot bearing 20mm.or do you think i can redrill the block. or i could make a 10mm spacer plate easy but the clutch plate doesnt fit is there site that show you the sizes of all the diffrent clutch plates. the starters motor is on the other side of the box do you think it would be ok for the 10mm spacer plate to hold it but i would have to cut a bit out the side of the gearbox to get it to fit.
adam

[Edited on 18/8/07 by oadamo]

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I see why you want to do your own as Tiger want £700 for there very swish setup.

What sort of power will the Audi engine give ?

Cheers for the heads up on the poly bushes, I went and fetched some today. You would have liked his 101 differant projects lol

oadamo

posted on 18/8/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I see why you want to do your own as Tiger want £700 for there very swish setup.

What sort of power will the Audi engine give ?

Cheers for the heads up on the poly bushes, I went and fetched some today. You would have liked his 101 differant projects lol

with a t4 i should see about 250ish bhp but some have seen more.i was in my rs thats been dyno at 200bhp and raced one and it left me standing . ha ha 101 projects iam getting there ive started making the bodywork for my locost/concept car its looking good.
adam

ned

posted on 18/8/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but I think you are wasting your time as the type9 gearbox will fall to pieces with the power a decent turbo motor should make..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 18/8/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
Sorry, but I think you are wasting your time as the type9 gearbox will fall to pieces with the power a decent turbo motor should make..

Ned.

hi ned i no but i already have the gearbox and i couldnt find an mt75 one. and a friend of mine said that the mt75 gearing isnt very good for track use.how ture this is i dont no but he does have a track car. and ive read that you can uprate a type 9 because theres a lot of people making gear kits for them to take the power.
adam

ned

posted on 18/8/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
with a turbo it'll be the torque that kills the box long before power comes into the equation...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 18/8/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Burtons do a type 9 convertion that is supposed to take up to 270bhp, and 7000 rpm, Er! how much, whisper £1800, and that's exchange with the cast body. If you want the ally body its another£425, and if you want the ally top plate that's another £71.95. So for £2300 approx you can make a type 9 that is supposed to stand up, but while your at it you may as well have it gold plated, cos it wont add much to the price, (Cor! f**k me) Ray
oadamo

posted on 18/8/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got a mt75 for sale .
adam

thomas4age

posted on 19/8/07 at 04:54 AM Reply With Quote
Jee, Mt75's are even easy to find over here in holland. should be no problem in the UK sierra DOHC have them

the company Alphax in Holland makes a very nice bellhousing for the Audi to MT75
the kit includes everything from spacerplate to release bearing spacer
in the 700 euro region.
there a UK dealer aswell for these I believe

www.alphax-kitcars.com

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

zilspeed

posted on 19/8/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Adam

10mm spacer plate seems the way to go.

Have you tried a Ford friction / driven plate inside your Audi pressure plate. If that fits together you've done that bit.

Starter should go where your engine wants it and you could always cut out the bellhousing where required and create a crud cover over the resultant hole.

That would be my approach anyway. Your pics look encouraging enough to keep going down that route , that's for sure.

Good honest shed engineering at its best, try it together, see what fits, see what doesn't and work it out from there.

big_wasa

posted on 19/8/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote

Mt75 should do the job and there should be no shortage of people wanting a swap.

coozer

posted on 19/8/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you should look to the far east for a'box. Toyota Celica and Suprs boxes can handle loads of power and torque. Thats why people use them behind Chevy 5.7's.... Rescued attachment XT BOX 1 small.JPG
Rescued attachment XT BOX 1 small.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

AlphaX

posted on 19/8/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
the mt75 will easily handle the power and torque of this engine. Plus they are readily available, unlike the T50 box's.
oadamo

posted on 19/8/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
ive just found out that the audi engine has a dual mass flywheel and ive read on the net that if you up the power it can burn the springs out. ill have to read up more about them or try a diffrent flywheel.
adam

AlphaX

posted on 19/8/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
we put a single mass flywheel on it. The dual-mass ones are not much good.
Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/8/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
The adaptor plate I designed, like the Alphax one cuts a little notch from the bellhousing. You'd be better off just getting an MT75, as a stock T9 isn't going to last too long anyway. Bin the dual mass, as the torque kills them.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

oadamo

posted on 19/8/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
ive just had a reply back from audi.net and they said this engine can take 280bhp max on the standard internals but if i had a tt s3 bam engine they can take 320 .
adam

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/8/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, a lot of places say 360bhp. Strange. Odd, whe you consider some remaps will take you to 270bhp...!

What was it out of originally?

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.