Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Cooler plumbing
RazMan

posted on 13/9/07 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Oil Cooler plumbing

My Duratec V6 has an Oil / water heat exchanger which is mounted under the oil filter. When I sorted out the cooling sytem I left this oil cooler out of the loop but I now think it will be worthwhile connecting it to keep oil temps down a bit. The trouble is I can't remember how it was originally plumbed in

It has 15mm hoses so it can't simply go in-line between rad and engine (32mm) or it would restrict the flow.
So how can I connect it? Do I split the rad return into two 15mm pipes to share the flow or have I missed something obvious?(not unusual)

[Edited on 13-9-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 13/9/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd personally keep the majority of the flow going through the radiator and use a 32-15-32 T-piece to take some flow off for the oil / water transfer thingy... At least that's how it's done on the ST engine oil / water cooler...
bimbleuk

posted on 13/9/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Either as above or maybe T into the heater matrix pipes? That's what I'm doing on the similar Ford water/oil cooler on my Toyota engine. I don't have a heater matrix so all the flow goes through the oil cooler and back to the head. No cooling problems encountered so far.
RazMan

posted on 13/9/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd personally keep the majority of the flow going through the radiator and use a 32-15-32 T-piece to take some flow off for the oil / water transfer thingy... At least that's how it's done on the ST engine oil / water cooler...

Something like this? Surely the cooler wouldn't get much flow would it?

[Edited on 13-9-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Oil Cooler Flow.jpg
Rescued attachment Oil Cooler Flow.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 13/9/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Either as above or maybe T into the heater matrix pipes? That's what I'm doing on the similar Ford water/oil cooler on my Toyota engine. I don't have a heater matrix so all the flow goes through the oil cooler and back to the head. No cooling problems encountered so far.

My heater matrix is controlled by a solenoid valve which means that when the heater is turned off there wouldn't be any flow through the cooler if it was connected in series with the matrix.

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 13/9/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Also the heater matrix is kept at the higher engine operating temperature usually.

Would the bottom hose be the best place for it?.
This is surely the coldest water in the system and thus has the greatest cooling capacity (Presumably the best place to give you maximum cooling capacity, it shouldn't "over cool it" if it has a oil thermostat as part of the oil cooler system)

As for the diagram it should flow some water through it, Do you not have the haynes for the original car or find it online somewhere.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.