Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Play in the bushes!!!
BMF

posted on 15/10/07 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Play in the bushes!!!

Got a velocity, and just noticed a bit of play in the rear wheels (you can move them in and out), which I think has been causing it to tramp.

Taken is apart, and there is play between the bolts and the steel bush inserts - surely this can't be right, 1 or 2mm on each one adds up to a lot!!!

I have used the bolts Luego recomended (M12's), and the bushes and inserts were supplied by them.

NB the bolts are threaded the whole length.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Toady1

posted on 15/10/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
use a shanked bolt instead!
rusty nuts

posted on 15/10/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bolts threaded the whole length are not bolts, they are in fact set screws. Bolts have an unthreaded section . Also old Luego supplied crush tubes that were too short, if you do a search this has been covered before. It sounds very much like your bolts have been loose as well because if they are tightened fully the suspension arms are very difficult to move. The solution is to replace the crush tubes with slightly longer items (best) or skim the outside of each bush (cheaper)slightly so that when tightened properly the arm rotates freely around the crush tube . Quickest way to test is nip crush tube in a vice rather than refitting the arm. Have spoken to Ben Lord ( new Luego owner) about this , he was going to sort it out. Make sure you do all arms , ride and handling should be vastly improved when sorted.
BMF

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
That makes sense, as when the bolts are tightened up the bushes bind against the brackets.

So should I get some new crush tubes and use proper bolts then?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the process of sorting this out on my Viento. The crush tubes are too short so I have added a thin washer the same size as the crush tube ( on the end of the crush tube ) and then tested them in a vice. It makes a big difference to how arms move. The crush tubes should be held tight in the brackets and not able to move, the bushes should rotate around the crush tubes. You may have the same problem with your velocity crush tubes.

Paul

BMF

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, just done a search re this, can't believe Luego customers were supplied with effectively wrong parts which can seriously affect the handling and safety of the car.

If you are not knowledgable on things like this (like me), then you take what they give you to be correct and follow the manual!

I see from their site they supply the bolts, nuts and tubes as a set for £59, willl be calling them in the morning as I can't weld!

Always thought it was odd that the wishbones stayed in place while in the air!

rusty nuts

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Might pay to check with them that they have in fact changed the crush tubes before ordering another possibly wrong set.
BMF

posted on 15/10/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Already thought of that.

Is it possible to get them elsewhere?

rusty nuts

posted on 15/10/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would have turned some up if I had some steel but on a saturday afternoon there was no chance which is why I reduced the overall length of the bushes. I also removed any weld from inside the eye of the suspension arm and coated everything in rubber grease. Do not use normal grease.
BMF

posted on 15/10/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
How did you reduce the bush? Sand it down I assume?
rusty nuts

posted on 15/10/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I placed the crush tube into the bush and placed the bush into lathe , used a sharp cutting tool and skimmed ten thou at a time of the large face of the busg. Did a little at a time and kept testing until I was happy. Would have thought sanding it down would work.
BMF

posted on 17/10/07 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just spoke to Luego, they haven't changed the length from 42mm so I either have to sand down the bushes or grind the wishbone down!

Not a great fix!

rusty nuts

posted on 17/10/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that, as I said earlier Ben Lord was made aware of the problem at Stoneleigh as was Dean the previous owner at Newark last year. It may be possible to reduce the width of the wishbone "eye" by gently filing the sides, you need approx 0.050" off the overall width which shouldn't weaken the wishbones. I think all Luegos may have this problem , it's about time it was sorted once and for all.
BMF

posted on 18/10/07 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
My back end was a nightmare, this is obviously why, just can't believe the manufacturer doesn't sort it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.