Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine overheating - advice needed
Shamrock GS

posted on 28/10/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Engine overheating - advice needed

Got the beast on the road - goes great but I am struggling to keep the engine temp down.

I have a 2l pinto with twin 40s and a fast road cam. Electronic fan which I have cutting in at 80 degrees. Temp seems to settle around 90/95 on my guage.

Any thoughts to get this lower? Would a grille on top of the bonnet above the exhaust manifold make any difference? Also is it necessary to put the plate under the radiator as per the book? I assumed this would restrict the airflow even more so have left it off.

Ideas?

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

nitram38

posted on 28/10/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would check that you have plumbed it properly first.
Do you have an expansion bottle etc?
Can you post a diagram of your pipe connection set up?

repper

posted on 28/10/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate my bro had simler probs in his robin hood i cant rember how he fixed it but he is on hear as ( tcr ) or his email is riley9422@aol.com iam sor he wont mind if you send him a email
regards jim

mark chandler

posted on 28/10/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
water wetter, fantasic stuff.

What are the numbers on your thermostat ? it probally opens in , late 80's low 90's so whatever you do it will always run this hot.

Regards Mark

RazMan

posted on 28/10/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Your fan would be better set to come on at 95 degrees or it will be on most of the time. Normal operating temps are around 85 - 90 so you are not too bad really.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy W

posted on 28/10/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any fine mesh in your grill, some types can actually stop the air flowing through, try putting a fan infront of the grill to check the air flow. Check the stat is opening correctly. Failing that probably a partially blocked rad.

Andy

meany

posted on 28/10/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
plus...check that its not airlocked.

rusty nuts

posted on 28/10/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using an electric gauge with the correct sender? Get the engine temperature checked with an infared gauge if possible and compare readings. You may be worrying about nothing more than in inaccurate gauge
jos

posted on 28/10/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
ditto above re airlocks

run it up to temperature and then check that the rad is hot all over and that all rad hoses top hose in particular are as hot as each other

if one hose or section of the rad is cooler to the touch then you've got a priblem which no ammount of products or parts will fully cure

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

mickebo

posted on 28/10/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
High temp

I´ve got the same problem, got an XE with new rad, expansion bottle, 50% coolant, no airlocks, new waterpump, cleaned coolingchannels inside engine. Running 95-100 measured with guage and Tech1. Fan starts at same temp as in original car ca110. So it doesn´t start while driving.
It doesn´t boil or get unnormal pressure in expbottle. New 87 degree thermostat.
Tried Waterwetter did nothing.

I think it is a little high, especially as i haven´t driven really hard on track or similar. Might boil then.

I´ve been told that I need to make sure that all air gets through the rad and not beside and have an airvent in the back of the enginecompartment.
Do you think this will solve the problem?
Anyway I´ll do this during the winter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.