Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bellhousing - GM engine/Ford gearbox?
Friberg

posted on 30/9/03 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Bellhousing - GM engine/Ford gearbox?

I'm planning to build a Locost with Saab 2.0 turbo engine, and from -94 they have the same bolt pattern as GM (i.e. Vauxhall, Opel). The gearbox from the Omega can be fitted but it's much bigger than the Sierras so I want to use that instead.

I've found one company that have bellhousings to connect a GM engine to a Ford gearbox www.yukspeed.com but are there any else?

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
sbdev.co.uk, rallynuts.com (where i just got mine from) they nearly all use a casting from titan motorsport. there are two length's and types though, 150mm &170mm long versions and uprights and 7degree slant versions. £155 seems average...

may post a pic shortly...

forgot to say, these fit large block (1800 & 2000cc) vauxhall engines and apparantly v6's too.

Ned.

[Edited on 30/9/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Friberg

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ned!

But why are there different lengths and how will I know which one I should use for a Saab engine?

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know which one would be suitable for a saab engine, they're slant aren't they? early saab turbos share the block with the dolomite sprint if i recall.

the short one as i understand it (may be corrected) is for 4 cylinder ford engined gearboxes (except cosworth - different box though) and the longer one is for v6 ford gearboxes which have a longer input shaft.

I'll find out if this is true shortly when I try to fit mine (150mm) to my pinto gearbox and 8v vauxhall!

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 30/9/03 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
A popular gearbox swap for the 2 litre GM engine was the RWD box from the 1.8 Manta. Strong and reasonably compact. I can't imagine GM made different types of 2 litre/inline 4 for the European market!

Might be worth a look.

Ned, you're right about the Triumph connection, but it was based on the 1850 Dolomite (still a slant 4).

Cheers,

Neil.

ned

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Neil,

The 1850 and sprint (2ltr) shared the same block IIRC (we've had three!)..

Friberg,

The 2ltr manta has the wrong box apparantly (starter wrong side or something), though 1.8 manta and 1.8 carlton getrag gearboxes both fit.

sparkypups offered me one (manta box) a while back, not sure if he still has it though...

I went the ford option as more of them about and easier to get them uprated if need be. there aren't that many manta boxes about any more (and a lot of the manta brigade want them!)

Ned.

Friberg

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
>>Noodle

The Saab engine isn't a regular GM engine - they just started to use the GM bolt pattern from -94. Early Saab engines were slanted, but the one I'm going to use is upright and comes from the 9000 or the 900/9-3.

The main reason for using a Sierra gearbox would be that it comes with the donor car I'm going to use.

Noodle

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ned,

The Sprint was a bigger bore. (87mm vs 90.3mm).

O/T I realise, but do SAAB now use entirely generic GM engines with tweaks?

Cheers,

Neil.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/9/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
A popular gearbox swap for the 2 litre GM engine was the RWD box from the 1.8 Manta. Strong and reasonably compact.

They dont tend to stand up to much though... I've seen 170bhp kill then after a few months, but that was in a heavy car... so maybe it might last longer in a locost ?

Friberg

posted on 30/9/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
O/T I realise, but do SAAB now use entirely generic GM engines with tweaks?

Cheers,

Neil.

The engine in the new Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan MY2003 uses a "Saab version" og the GM ecotech-engine. In fact all new Vauhall/Opel with turbo engines have engines made by Saab so its not that Saab uses a GM engine - its GM that uses Saab engines

The 9-5 still uses Saab's good old cast iron engine...

malcolmstoddart

posted on 3/11/03 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall engine and a ford gearbox...

so what I am reading here is that, my 2litre 16v in my 93k cav.. will mate up to a ford gearbox via one of those bell housings down the page, and in turn onto an irs, dragged out of a sierra..will the sump need modified as in bafffles...
next query is..whats the electrics in the vauxhall going to be like into the main car loom...am I going to need sponsorship from asprin...!!!

ned

posted on 4/11/03 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Malcom,

Yes the bellhousing will fit the cav 16v (20xe) engine to the sierra box. No you don't need aspirin, you can run the vx 2ltr 16v from a mk2 1.6 cav dizzy which cuts out all the ecu stuff, then just stick a pair of webers on. 40's will do fine in standard trim, if tuning 45's are the way to go.

There are a few people using this engine on here.

Let me know if you have any more questions - just post them up!

Ned.

malcolmstoddart

posted on 4/11/03 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall engine...

Cheers Ned, much appreciated...
Stu16v

posted on 4/11/03 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
....but a lot of what Ned says depends on whether you Cav engine is an 'XE' or an Ecotec. The Ecotec will fit on the same bellhousing, but you will not be able to use a dizzy, you will need to use the original ECU or an aftermarket one. TBO, the Ecotec isnt worth the effort over say a Zetec, which is the same hassle to install, minus the expense of a bellhousing conversion. And it is a lot better supported with aftermarket stuff, i.e. exhaust/inlet manifolds tuning goodies etc.
To tell whether you have a 2.0 XE or Ecotec, look at the spark plug cover. If it is 'L' shaped, it is an XE (top motor ). If it is straight it is an Ecotec.

HTH Stu.

[Edited on 4/11/03 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

ned

posted on 5/11/03 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
this is a (tuned) ecotec on throttle bodies (cam cover will be same as on standard for id purposes):

and this is a 20xe engine (again a race version, but cam cover is same for id purposes:

Ned.

malcolmstoddart

posted on 5/11/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
GM engine and ford box...

No worries Ned and Stu, its an XE version...
As I said earlier in the week, about the sump, what one do I use...??? and when the engine is out what else is there to check / modify....

cheers

Stu16v

posted on 5/11/03 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
The sump will need chopping/modifying. You can modify the existing one, but the downside is that it is made of cast ali. You can get a steel one of a 2.0 8v motor and cut and shut that (a lot more 'DIY', or buy one already done from the likes of SBD, Westfield, or try here

When the sump is off, invest in some ARP conrod bolts. The standard bolts are prone to letting go with constant high revs, the replacements make the engine pretty much bullet proof for even quite hairy states of tune.

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

ned

posted on 6/11/03 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
an 8v sump to cut / shut looks like this as standard:

and a westfield sump looks like this: (£220 though)

IMHO when you do the big end bolts it might be worth doing the bearings too if its a high milage engine.

ned.

[Edited on 6/11/03 by ned]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/11/03 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm gonna be chopping my spare 8v sump. Not paying silly money for something i can do myself

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Scotty

posted on 6/11/03 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
i would also like to thank you guys for the info as this is probably the same engine (XE) and box (ford) i'm going to use
ned

posted on 6/11/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Good man, scotty. As an upgrade you could always fit the c20let (calibra turbo) engine if you've got spare cash lying around (as we all do!)

204bhp standard, 250bhp is easy and loads of torque.

they are good for tuning to 380+bhp if you want to become the next hicost!

Ned.

ps see my website for info on the engine and my build....

Scotty

posted on 6/11/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
according to a local "guru" this engine, head etc is the same as the turbo engine, just plug in the turbo , well something like that

[Edited on 6/11/03 by Scotty]

ned

posted on 6/11/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
not that simple. many subtle differences such as lower compression pistons, oil feed to turbo etc on the c20let

Ned.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/11/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ned's right, one of the cams is different. The bottom end is low compression, different pistons,etc. There are oil feeds in the block or head that go to the turbo. The inlet manifold is completely different.

ECU is different, plus the engine loom is different. Shall I go on ?

This has been covered on Vauxhall Forums before, it's cheaper to buy a 2.0LET than convert a XE.

Mr Guru is not so guru.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Scotty

posted on 7/11/03 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
the world is full of experts.............
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.