Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop advice
pjavon

posted on 25/11/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop advice

Can anyone help. I'm looking at getting a laptop and have narrowed it down to either one of these
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/ 21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-80247790-81076793.html

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/d etails/index~modelcode~FJS-LI1718-VARIO030.htm#_

Any advice on which one you would buy/think is best. I may want to run a CAD program on it so good graphics would be a plus, and i'm not sure which is best out of these. I can get either one for £405 approx which i think is a good price???
Thanks for any help
Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

caber

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Neither! buy a Mac laptop and run parallels for any PC software you MUST use!

Caber

britishtrident

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Either are none too shabby good spec and price.

HP = very good

Fujitsu-Siemens = very good

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

robertst

posted on 25/11/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Neither! buy a Mac laptop and run parallels for any PC software you MUST use!

Caber

^^^What he said.^^^ not only is he software better, the hardware will not give you any grief at all...

no fans whirring on at the bottom, which actually make them pointless as the bottom is on your lap, so all you have is an overheated laptop which you cant put on your lap.

Tom

onzarob

posted on 25/11/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Either are none too shabby good spec and price.

HP = very good

Fujitsu-Siemens = very good

OR Buy the cheaper Wintel hardware and install Ubuntu and the MAC overlays.....looks the same and running linux...save £300ish

(ps it won't run Mac software but technically it is the same (well its a version of FreeBSD))

Seriously both those specs look great, I would recommend Upgrading to Vista Ultimate as the backup software is a great for system restores. I have a ASUS laptop running a Dual Core 5600 1.Hz 2 GB of memory and GB HD. Runs great it got a Nvidia GO 7300 and get a performance rating of 3.2...5 being the best. Basically be careful with the Graphics with Vista as it makes a lot of difference, do some research

MikeRJ

posted on 25/11/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I recommend putting Vista where it belongs (i.e. the rubbish bin) and installing XP, then watch your laptop absolutely fly.

Buy the Fujitsu because it has a C2D CPU. I like AMD's CPU's but they have never been fully competitive in the mobile arena.

Don't buy a MAC if you are primarily a Windows user. The Parallels virtual machine is neat, but the "near native" performance claim is ridiculous.

onzarob

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I recommend putting Vista where it belongs (i.e. the rubbish bin) and installing XP, then watch your laptop absolutely fly.

I agree with that XP will fly, I had a GB with xp on my laptop. With Vista it just crawled and spent all day swapping memory to the Hard disk. 2GB Ram sorted that out.

XP is ok for now but for longevity use Vista or make sure your hardware can, I use it as I'm a IT consultant and I get asked about the new OS so need to know

ecosse

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
We've had a few probs with Fujitsu laptops recently, but they are a recent addition to our maintenence list so might not be representative of the brand, no probs with HP kit.

Cheers
Alex

pjavon

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments lads.
Top avatar Alex, went to watch supermoto last year and loved it.
So onzarob do you think the graphics in eithier laptop will be ok running vista ?
To be honest that was my main concern with them as all my computers are on xp so have never used it only heard horror storys about it.
Thanks Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

onzarob

posted on 26/11/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So onzarob do you think the graphics in either laptop will be OK running vista ?

The HP is running a Nvidia 6100 which states that it exceeds the requirements for Vista premium, the Fujitsu had a ATI Radeon 200m which mention MCE 2005 (xp) and not Vista, ATI mobile graphics card aimed Vista is the ATI Radeon™ Xpress 1100 for Intel Notebooks.

Its the Vista Aero interface that hammers the machine....you can switch it off, but then there is no point to not running XP

I would go for the HP based on that oh and i like HP kit

or buy an ASUS...2 year collect and return warranty, i had mine a year and it get hammered

Davey D

posted on 26/11/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
How about one of these. they are a very nice piece of kit for the money. 17" screen too. All they need is an extra gig of ram, and they should last a good while

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5525.aspx

ecosse

posted on 26/11/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjavon
Thanks for the comments lads.
Top avatar Alex, went to watch supermoto last year and loved it.
So onzarob do you think the graphics in eithier laptop will be ok running vista ?
To be honest that was my main concern with them as all my computers are on xp so have never used it only heard horror storys about it.
Thanks Paul

Those supermoto boys know how to have fun don't they

Vista is getting better now, not so much hassle, I'd have the HP if you want to play with aero tho.

Cheers

Alex

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Vista is fine with enough memory and a decent graphics card --- 2gb is enough.

Problem is M$ always under specify the minium memory when they release a new windows version.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.