Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hot air ?
Jon Ison

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hot air ?

Toying with the idea of putting a deflector plate at an angle behind radiator and deflecting hot air upwards and out of yet to be cut holes in nosecone.

Worth it ?

Not worth it ?

Good idea ?

Bad idea ?

caber

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Should be a good idea if you have the space. Should help reduce lift at the front and keep engine bay a bit cooler. I fancy some wings for the front of mine I don't have space for a deflector and hole in the nosecone

Caber

Volvorsport

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes do it .

where elso does the air have a chance to go ? Underneath ? through the trans tunnel ?

pressure built up in front of the radiator causes lift , by making the hole in the nosecone after the radiator the right size , you can drive air through it and create down force .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Have been looking into this myself,3 reasons,get heat away from the engine bay,reduce lift,and keep my inboard shockers a bit cooler,the caterham CSR has the overcome the problem by tilting the radiator forward about 20 degrees,and then ducting it out of the top of the nose. Rescued attachment radiator ducting.jpg
Rescued attachment radiator ducting.jpg

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/3/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
And tilted radiator
r1_pete

posted on 10/3/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a plan, isn't that how the Exige works?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmm, does sound like a plan, I was thinking maybe a small lip in front of the "yet to be made no turning back" holes to maybe create a small vacuum and help pull the air out to ?

Not sure my solution will look as neat as the one in the pics.

jlparsons

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea. My first thought is that doing so could increase the temperature in the engine bay? Sure the air coming on past the rad is going to be hot, but it'll be a lot cooler than the engine and exhaust so it must contribute to cooling the bay. Is this easy enough to overcome by ensuring the bay itself is adequately vented too, ie no undertray and lots of louvres on the bonnet? If so then it could be a good way to increase flow through the rad and increase cooling efficiency (if that's something you need) and maybe decrease front end lift without increasing temperature under the bonnet.

[Edited on 11/3/08 by jlparsons]

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

rick q

posted on 11/3/08 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon it's worth doing, and it's the next thing on my list, but I've decided not to attempt to duct from the radiator to the vents - just provide the vents.

I run a full tray below the engine bay, and temps inside are at least 6 deg C above ambient, until I slow down when they go above 50 deg C (where my digital thermometer throws it's hands in the air)

I believe the vents should be at least the area of the radiator, and to ensure they work as intended, there will need to be some small deflector at the front to ensure the vent is at low pressure. (Look at the Dunkvoort web site for inspiration).

Pretty fiddly stuff for someone as inept as me - but worth a try I believe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.