Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0i pinto. Bottom expansion hose to where?
John.Taylor

posted on 24/3/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
2.0i pinto. Bottom expansion hose to where?

I have produced the following cooling circuit diagram from when my 2.0i pinto was in my Sierra. Now it's in the Indy I need to get it plumbed back up, but it will be slightly different.

I'm not having a heater to start with so I'll bypass that, putting the waterpump small take off stright to the inlet manifold.

The only other change will be the bottom expansion tank hose which went into the middle of the Sierra radiator, but my new Polo radiator only has a top and bottom connection. Where should connect the bottom expansion hose to now? Rescued attachment Sierra 2.0i Pinto Cooling1.JPG
Rescued attachment Sierra 2.0i Pinto Cooling1.JPG

indykid

posted on 24/3/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
blank off the outlet from the inlet manifold so cutting the heater circuit out completely.

run the header tank lower outlet to the water pump where the heater used to feed back to.
tom

John.Taylor

posted on 24/3/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
When the thermostat is closed, the inlet manifold to heater to pump is the only run around.

If I block this off, the water pump will have nowhere to pump water to. Is this advisable?

Wouldn't I be better putting a tee in the heater to water pump return to feed the bottom expansion bottle hose into?

jollygreengiant

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John.Taylor
When the thermostat is closed, the inlet manifold to heater to pump is the only run around.

If I block this off, the water pump will have nowhere to pump water to. Is this advisable?

Wouldn't I be better putting a tee in the heater to water pump return to feed the bottom expansion bottle hose into?

Yes you should have circulation throught the head via the manifold back to the water pump.

I will be running my header tank down into the bottom hose, just as soon as I receive the adapter I ordered from Merlin Motorsport. At the moment they seem to be the only people that make and/or can supply a 32mm adaptor to fit the sierra/Granada hose.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Schrodinger

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would put the T in as you suggest as it does ensure a flow through the head and not leave any hot spots.

Keith
Aviemore

jacko

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
HI if you want a heater then this is what i would do
pipe out of in/manifold to heater out heater to top of xp/tank out bottom of xp tank to water pump and remove the yellow pipe from rad to xp tank
some say block the inlet manifold ford fitted that there for a reason i wonder why to stop air locks may be
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
the water passages in the block see to the correct cooling.

plenty of examples of very highly specced pintos do without the heater circuit. if it was paramount to the cooling effort don't you think it would be a much bigger bore hose without a heater matrix stuck in the middle of it and tortuous route of pipework?

feel free to go to the effort if it makes you happy though. a copper solder ring 28 15 28 t fitting will get you the header tank hose into the lower hose.
tom

Macbeast

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Car Builders Solutions do aluminium 32mm Ts with 15mm take offs and I plan to have one in the top and one in the bottom rad hose.

What I heve never seen is an explanation of why you need two feeds to the expansion tank - anyone ?

Schrodinger

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
On my Cat the top hose was above the water level and allowed any air/vapour to escape along with some water as the system heated up. The bottom hose just supplies water into the system.

Keith
Aviemore

Macbeast

posted on 25/3/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith - obvious really Life was simpler with the pressure cap on the radiator.

How's the cat by the way ? I suppose you can't tell without opening the box.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.