Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone else unfortunate to be with Virgin Media?
BenB

posted on 4/5/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone else unfortunate to be with Virgin Media?

VM are doing my nut in!!!

Not only have they signed up to Phorm (great, all my webpage requests go via an uncontrolled third party without me requesting it) but now they're throttling the hell out of my connection.

I'm on a 2Mb connection which is "unlimited" and as it's cable it should always be at 2Mb.

Now they announced they if you go over your "fair use" limit per day you'll get throttled down to 50% of your tariff.

But the "fair use" limit on my 2Mb tariff is 300Mb DL, 150Mb UL!!!!

So half way through an ISO DL my DL speed drops.

Now I'm crawling along and unable to use my computer for virtually anything!!! It took over a minute to get the main Locostbuilders website!!

Apparantly 50% of 2Mb is 9Kb/s (my max DL connection speed at the moment)....

FFS!!

Anyone know of a truly unlimited broadband supplier?

madmandegge

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
We're with Virgin, we seem to get the same cr*p, I think we're on the higher package though.

Pipex are supposed to be a good company, haven't been with them myself though so can't comment on what they're like!

stuart_g

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Virgin, they used to be excellent untill they took over NTL. I acces through BT landline not cable and I click on some pages of different web sites and it just sits there for ages and does nothing. Sooooooo frustrating
mistergrumpy

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with them. It all seems okay but the customer service is just atrocious! I'm sick of speaking to Indians. Nowt against them personally but they just don't seem to know their stuff enough and what with their accents combined with my broad Northern accent we're going nowhere!

markyb

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am with Virgin via BT as well and often get capped to a speed that gets embarrassed by those on dial up I kid you not.

I tried emailing customer services ref my speed but you dont actually get any answers - no matter what you ask you get the same cut and paste response from a preset script.

They once asked my to check my speeds on an independant site but my connection was that poor I could not even access that site !!!!

paulf

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I also have the same problem on a Bt line.
They used to be a good service until they took over NTL then it went downhill.Im on an 8mb package and struggle to get more than 1.5mb most of the time.
I have phoned them and tried the online web chat help, but there response each time is my line and exchange is to busy and they cant improve it.
I should really change but until recently couldnt be bothered with the hassle of finding another company, but am now feeling up to the challange especially with them signing up to Phorm.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by markyb
I am with Virgin via BT as well and often get capped to a speed that gets embarrassed by those on dial up I kid you not.

I tried emailing customer services ref my speed but you dont actually get any answers - no matter what you ask you get the same cut and paste response from a preset script.

They once asked my to check my speeds on an independant site but my connection was that poor I could not even access that site !!!!

Fozzie

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Found this on the Virgin Media website.....

Phorm linky

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Tim 45

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'm on a 2Mb connection which is "unlimited" and as it's cable it should always be at 2Mb.

Is that actually true, i thought with cable they had absolutely appalling contention ratios, meaning you may not even be seeing 512kbs, especially Virgin?

[Edited on 4/5/08 by Tim 45]

Peter M

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Found this on the Virgin Media website.....

Phorm linky

Fozzie

a bit more about phorm

UncleFista

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother ringing India or even the English Virginmedia monkeys, just use the usenet group virginmedia.support.broadband.cable and ask any questions there.
The tech help usually answer any enquiry within the hour, and they're by far the most knowledgable tech people at VM.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Fozzie

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I read Jaspers thread yesterday, which in turn, led me to search Virgin Media's website to see if there was a mention of the situation.

It seems as though Virgin Media are not yet using/signed up for Phorm, and if they do, each customer will have the chance for 'opt-out'.

I should imagine, that there are many ISP's out there waiting for Virgin Media to slip up so to speak, by which I mean, that by declaring they are NOT using it yet, AND getting customers consent if they decide to start using it, is proved false, there could and would be major trouble for Virgin Media...

On the speed issue, I have 4Mb, it rarely goes below 3.7, and in quiet times...ie between 1am-5am can actually be above 4Mb. Can't say that I have ever been capped........Their customer service? absolutely atrocious, and I cannot understand most of them either...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

joneh

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmandegge
We're with Virgin, we seem to get the same cr*p, I think we're on the higher package though.

Pipex are supposed to be a good company, haven't been with them myself though so can't comment on what they're like!

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. Pipex are awful. I was with f2s who got bought by Pipex, who have now been bought by Ticali and they're awful. I had emails taking 3 days to arive!

BenB

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've got the Dephormation plug-in for Firefox so hopefully that should cover me from a phorm point of view but my DL still hasn't gone above 10.9kb/s!!!!!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote

martyn_16v

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Anyone know of a truly unlimited broadband supplier?

They're all gone, and there won't be any for a long time (if ever). Anyone that claims to have an 'unlimited' service will still have some form of limit buried deep in the terms and conditions. The increasing use of bandwidth-hungry modes of web use (streaming video and p2p mostly) means it's pretty much financial suicide to offer a truly unlimited service. Until the backbone infrastructure gets some hefty upgrading work done even 'medium' data users can end up costing the ISP more than the user pays for the service. All due to the ISPs taking all the cash but not investing enough in infrastructure over the last 5/10 years I suppose...

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
and to think I was going to go with VM - glad I didn't now and went to BT. Yes I'm paying a bit more, yes if I have problems I still get the Asian helpline, yes I get capped if I go above my unlimited access but exceed the fair use policy (WTF?) but....

actually - why am I still with BT again ? ? ? ?

Steve

mark chandler

posted on 5/5/08 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
"‘Webwise’. Webwise is designed to help customers avoid scam e-mails or websites while, at the same time, making sure the advertising they see matches more closely their specific areas of interest"

So thats a firewall then with rules linked to block known bad sites. Nothing particulary exciting but great for tracking people and targeting marketing....

I,m with Orange, unlimited, free UK calls on the DSL link so another phone number at home. Delivered via a BT 8meg service and pretty good at that.

Regards Mark

Pezza

posted on 5/5/08 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I went with sky broadband in the end and they have been quite good.
Downloaded 4 seasons of startrek enterprise for me dad recently and got a healthy and stead 750ish kB/s so they don't seem to throttle

[Edited on 5-5-08 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

britishtrident

posted on 5/5/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Check if O2 are availalbe in your area -- if you have LLU at your local exchange they do great deals on ADSL2+ which is a lot faster than ADSL.

If you can't get ADSL2 then try Plusnet -- very good deals good quailty router.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.