Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: air filter
Stuart_B

posted on 18/7/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
air filter

hi all, i do not know which air filter to go for, i looking at the pipercross scocks or the pipercross block with backing plate, is there any advantages or disadvantages with either of them?

as well have people got some pictures of what they look like on a pinto engine car.

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

Danozeman

posted on 18/7/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
What carbs have u got mate? Im guessing either twin 40's or bike carbs.

Alot of people reckon seperate socks will zap some power as theyr quite restrictive. Iv got an itg suasage filter on mine which are sposed to let the air flow more free into the carbs.

Not a pinto but you get the idea.

engine2
engine2

[Edited on 18/7/08 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Stuart_B

posted on 18/7/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
hi, i have got cbr600 fx bike carbs. i did not know that seperate socks will zap power.

stuart

Jenko

posted on 18/7/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Not a pinto, but I'm using a Pipercross sausage filter with a bonnet cut....I too have heard that the individual filters are really not very good wrt power..........

Going outside of the bonnet, means nice cold air, but generally more noise......

PIC

splitrivet

posted on 18/7/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just to throw my tupennorth worth in I used minimoto air filters.
A Locost solution, all 4 will set you back about £20 on Ebay depending on supplier, easy to fabricate a mounting, compact (no bonnet cutting) and look the dogs cahonnes.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Stuart_B

posted on 18/7/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Just to throw my tupennorth worth in I used minimoto air filters.
A Locost solution, all 4 will set you back about £20 on Ebay depending on supplier, easy to fabricate a mounting, compact (no bonnet cutting) and look the dogs cahonnes.
Cheers,
Bob

hi bob, have you got a picture, as well i am going to have to cut the bonnet as the carbs close to the side rail.

whitestu

posted on 18/7/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've read that bike carbs need some space between the trumpets and filter to allow them to work properly. Socks or mini moto filters may not provide this.

Mine work well with a Pipercross Sausage filter.

Stu

DarrenW

posted on 18/7/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
here's mine. Its a K&N challenger. This is the huge 100m version. Smaller available but thinner ones are close for the trumpets inside ( i think 75mm fits most no problem). Rescued attachment 20082007198 resize.jpg
Rescued attachment 20082007198 resize.jpg

big_wasa

posted on 18/7/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Gap should be ~ 30mm
splitrivet

posted on 18/7/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote

hi bob, have you got a picture, as well i am going to have to cut the bonnet as the carbs close to the side rail.

No pics sorry but if you have a look at the filters on Ebay it doesnt take a great deal of imagination to picture what they'll look like which personally I think is real cool.

I cant honestly see how having 4 seperate filters is going to be less efficient than having 4 inlets sucking through 1 housing through 1 piece of sponge.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Stuart_B

posted on 18/7/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Gap should be ~ 30mm

what gap?

as well how does the big chunk missing right at the front of the bonnet does it affect the stenght of the bonnet and how to fix it?

thanks

stuart

jacko

posted on 18/7/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
triple filters 4
triple filters 4

This is how i did mine the locost way
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 19/7/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
triple filters 4
triple filters 4

This is how i did mine the locost way
Jacko

did you build a box to over teh carbs and then put the filters on.

stuart

jacko

posted on 19/7/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats what i did have a look in my photos
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jenko

posted on 22/7/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

No pics sorry but if you have a look at the filters on Ebay it doesnt take a great deal of imagination to picture what they'll look like which personally I think is real cool.

I cant honestly see how having 4 seperate filters is going to be less efficient than having 4 inlets sucking through 1 housing through 1 piece of sponge.
Cheers,
Bob

I can, you are totally surrounding the inlet with air restriction - The flow into the mouth of the trumpet is important, and having anything close by will effect this.....not saying it's a bad thing to do, just that a few rolling roads have noticed a marked difference between the individual and the all in one filters.

Mark G

posted on 25/7/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
a friend of mine has a single sock on his and when on full throttle the sock turns inside out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmlXXbENQM

Worth a watch for a giggle!

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
The part 2 video is SO funny! I like the crack about 'Where did you get that filter from? LIdl?'

Getting back to the thread - here's my effort. The foam is proper filter foam from Pipercross.

Stuart_B

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
that looks so nice work. i have went for single socks as i have no room for a airbox, i did try but it would not fit in so i had to go for single socks.

stuart

MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers,
Bob

Because the intake strokes of a 4 cylinder engine do not overlap (much), each cylinder has the entire filter to breath through. With a sock filter, you have a small fraction of the filter area dedicated to each cylinder. The socks are convenient and easy to fit, but they are more restrictive than the large single filters.

Looking around the service area of a tarmac rally I was servicing at this weekend, none of the cars I saw used sock filters...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.