Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Undoing the mother of all nuts
Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Undoing the mother of all nuts

I'm trying to undo the crankshaft nut on my Volvo engine at the moment. It undoes anti-clockwise (I found that out just to eliminate that I wasn't undoing it the wrong way) This nut is tiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I've sprayed an ocean of penetrating spray all over/around it and tried a huge breaker bar and an impact air gun. Do I have any chance of getting it off with something like this:

If I keep trying it throughout the day on max power etc. or do I need something with more muscles?

[Edited on 2/9/08 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried any heat on it at all??
dan__wright

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
i got 1 £10 one off ebay and was amazed when it got my sierra rear hub nuts off, looks like they hadnt been off in about 20 years aswell.

it too about 15 secs for it to start moving but wasnt too bad.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Have you tried any heat on it at all??

I have no oxyacetylene type gear, only a blowtorch (which I did try)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get the nut HOT.....then let it cool right down....

Then get it HOT again, and when its cooled a bit....big breaker bar and hammer...

And then throw the nut in the bin!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

02GF74

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
have you got an impact gun? they can shock the nut but sounds like yours is on very tight.

I assume engine is out of the car?

on land rovers, common practise is to wedge the breaker bar under the chasssis railthen use the starter - presumably you cannot do something like that?

else it is breaker bar and a long scaffolding pole - risk is you may break the breaker bar or socket.

if it accessible, then drill small holes into the nut to try to split it so it releases grip, then breaker bar - may work out the cheaper option.

Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I assume engine is out of the car?

on land rovers, common practise is to wedge the breaker bar under the chasssis railthen use the starter - presumably you cannot do something like that?

Engine is in the car. I've tried the starter motor trick but didn't do anything.

BenB

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Second drilling it and cracking. Worked for me on my ST clutch nut (torqued to 110Nm!!)....
Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
How do I go about drilling it? Picture of the nut is here:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8194/pulley1th3.jpg

If I take my radiator off (no problem as there's no water in it yet) then I can get perfect access. What kind of drill bits would you use/size etc and where would you drill, how many holes etc

So the nut is basically like so:

Many thanks for the help so far

BenB

posted on 2/9/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use HSS drill bits (ie bog standard drills). I'd measure the thickness of the nut and put depth stops on the bits (ie wrap a bit of masking tape around them at that depth) to stop you drilling into whatever is behind the nut. Then start with a small drill, drill in the middle of the blue bit (it doesn't matter where). Slowly use bigger bits until you've drilled through the outside of the nut and almost the inside then put in a chisel, wallop it. The nut should spring open enough to release it's grip. Then use a spanner as normal....
loggyboy

posted on 2/9/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
How big is your breaker bar? My dad welded a 1/2 inch scoket extension to 6ft scafold pole... that never fails to get a any nut off.

Mistral Motorsport

Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
My breaker bar is the best part of a meter long, I'll keep an eye out for pipe/poles that can slide over it to extend it
iank

posted on 2/9/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
One way that can work is just to knock it undone with a cold chisel and a big hammer - just bash away at the corners of the nut. The shocks seem to help getting it started.
Replace it once it's off obviously as it's a bit agricultural.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jollygreengiant

posted on 2/9/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Air gun is a possibility but this one in the link is sure to get it off given enough air.

Linky to monster gun.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

robertst

posted on 2/9/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
whoah! hold on there! whatever happened with locking the crankshaft so that it doesnt turn with the nut? therefore allowing to exert more torque to get it loose?

thats what i did to undo the nut in mine...

Tom

Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Linky to monster gun.

DO WANT

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
whoah! hold on there! whatever happened with locking the crankshaft so that it doesnt turn with the nut? therefore allowing to exert more torque to get it loose?

yeah I've done that, thought that went without saying

martyn_16v

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've not found anything on a car I couldn't get off if I had enough room to get a 1m breaker bar on it Support the socket end of the bar with an axle stand, put some/lots of pressure near the end of the bar (stand on it), and whack the end of the bar down with a big hammer, so you're applying both constant torque and a shock torque to the bolt at the same time. Something will give in, hopefully the bolt

MikeRJ

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
I've not found anything on a car I couldn't get off if I had enough room to get a 1m breaker bar on it

Only one thing ever defeated me...and it was the crank pulley bolt on my Astra GTE (20XE). Broke two sockets and after buying a decent one I broke my Britool breaker bar and never budged it.

MkIndy7

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
If its anything like the Crank bolt on the Vauxhall Xe engine then drilling it won't do alot as its bloody hard stuff!.

Its torqued up to something stupid like 240 or 320NM and some degree's!.

I tried a mechanics large Snap-on air wrench on that and it still couldn't shift it, eventually with a really good quality socket, a long breaker bar and a heavy assistant it came off.
I had also used some "freeze and release" spray it uses the same principle as heating it up only in the opposite way so you can use it in more confined places and don't melt any pully dampers or anything else. I'm sure I saw the stuff for sale in Halfords the other week.

MkIndy7

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ahahaaaa looks like we couldn't have timed our previous posts better!
clairetoo

posted on 2/9/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
One trick I have used to remove valve seats from bike heads without damage (to the head) is to run a bead of weld around the inside of the seat , which shrinks when cool and the seats just fall out
How about welding an old socket to the nut , and undo it before it cools completely ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

froggy

posted on 2/9/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
take the starter motor out and jam a pry bar into the ring gear to stop the flywheel turning slip a tube over the breaker and pull .i do this at work if the guns cant shift it and our 3/4 gun does 600lb/ft

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Volvorsport

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
heat red hot (nut only) then cold water , it should come off then , dont turn it clockwise though like colin advised !!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

mistergrumpy

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Similar to the other 2. The crank nut on my dads old Corsa diesel engine beat me. Stripped the teeth off the timing belt had to be towed to a garage through morning rush hour and the only thing that the garage could get it off with was a very strong windy gun.

Mark G

posted on 2/9/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
If the car's driveable can you take it to a garage and get them to gun the nut off and then just do it up lightly with a small bar. then you can go home and do your stuff.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.