Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone ever feel the need for PAS on a locost?
alistairolsen

posted on 4/9/08 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone ever feel the need for PAS on a locost?

building a volvo t5 engined locost, potentialy going to end up with 400bhp in its final incarnation.

I have a mazda mx5 PAS rack (along with the rest of the running gear). Should I fit this, or sell it and souce a normal manual rack?

I think the PAS rack will be quicker. can I adjust the level of assistance in any way?

cheers

JAG

posted on 4/9/08 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
The only reason I can see for power steering is either;

1) a VERY heavy car

2) compromised steering geometry (as in most current FWD cars)

You shouldn't have either of these problems, even with 400bhp, so I don't think you need it

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

procomp

posted on 4/9/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

With 400hp. All the steering will be done from the back end.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 4/9/08 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
i had a mk5 cortina a few years back. you couldn't turn the wheel at standstill, but once it was moving the tiniest bit, the steering was light enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

russbost

posted on 4/9/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
NO!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 4/9/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
No way!!!
smart51

posted on 4/9/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have a quick rack and a tiny steering wheel. The steering is not too heavy.

You don't need PAS on a seven.

alistairolsen

posted on 4/9/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
thats what i thought, a mate was trying to convinceme otherwise!

id imagie driving on with lots of castor, on a track with slicks is pretty tiring tho? like karting?

smart51

posted on 5/9/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Several hours on the track is like several laps in a kart to be honest. You don't really need it.
britishtrident

posted on 5/9/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i had a mk5 cortina a few years back. you couldn't turn the wheel at standstill, but once it was moving the tiniest bit, the steering was light enough

Something was far wrong with it then -- PAS only became desirable on medium cars after the double whammy of FWD and over wide tyres.

mickebo

posted on 6/9/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
There is the electric PAS from a VX Corsa B. Its the column not the rack that is power assisted. And some VX rallyshops sell a modded ECU where you adjust the assist with a potentiometer. This means you can use you short rack and still use PAS.
blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Something was far wrong with it then -- PAS only became desirable on medium cars after the double whammy of FWD and over wide tyres.

lol more than likely... the whole car was a peice of crap!

[Edited on 6/9/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.