Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec breather top of cam cover
nathanharris1987

posted on 22/10/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
zetec breather top of cam cover

right,

the little vent hole that youd usually attatch a breather filter to in the RHS of the rocker cover, is air supposed to be coming out of it at a rate of knots.

Say my engines running, up to temperature i was giving her some revs when i saw some airflow around the carbs, first i thought it was the carbs sucking air in but then i could see it was the hole blowing air out, somthing normal?

Nath

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
sounds as if it might be rather too much. Can be a bit of blow from there, excessive means worn bores/rings etc. My zetec has a hose down to a bottle, and then another bit from the bottle to vent level with the bottom of the chassis. Cheaper than a rebuild if its only minor....
In fact the bottle is often omitted on cars. Trackdays really need a bottle though.

austin man

posted on 23/10/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I too have the same issue going on ultimately oil is also passing through tis breather u can either put a filter on it, take a pipe from there and feed it into an oil catch tank? bottle thiis requires a vent or try and connect into the inlet manifold to burn off the gasses. The latter can have a downside in that the engine may increase the volume drwn from this point due to the fact that it will be sucking .
will121

posted on 23/10/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
have you checked the crankcase ventillation system on the block behind the exhaust manifold. if this is restricted will result in excess pressure being released from the breather on the rocker cover
nathanharris1987

posted on 23/10/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh yes, i blanked that off completely!

Is it a problem in that case if i have large amount of air coming out the top then i.e just but a catch tank inplace?? or should i put the vent system back in?

Nath

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 23/10/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
if you have blanked it off thats the reason then, would have thought it would increase crankcase pressure which may lead to seal failures, would be better if you could run both breathers into a common catch tank, why did you blank it off was it manifold clearance problems? may be posting another question specific to the crankcase breather system?
nathanharris1987

posted on 23/10/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
schoolboy error is the main reason, i thought i wouldnt need it! but i'll dig out the vent and wang her back in, and set up some sort of catch can, empty can of stella will do i think
bob

posted on 23/10/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had seen that some builders had blanked the crank case breather off but thought it must be there for a reason,as said by will121 i piped both into one catch tank. Rescued attachment zetec plumbing 001.jpg
Rescued attachment zetec plumbing 001.jpg

paulf

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have the block breather plumbed into a catch tank and the cam cover one has a breather filter fitted.On my old engine I found some oil in the tank and filter but the new one doesnt really breath much from either.If using the block breather you need to dismantle the valve that the hose connects to and remove the internals .
Paul.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.