Board logo

Where to source chassis material
sleepless - 16/8/07 at 02:50 PM

First post so please excuse if someone has answered this before.
Where can i source the RHS and tubing for a chassis
I have had prices quoted from local steel stockists, but as always there is a budget involved so if anyone knows where maybe i can pick offcuts up cheap it would be a great start and a great help.
Oh and i am just outside Cardiff??
Cheers

worX - 16/8/07 at 02:55 PM

Dependant on how "local" your steel stockists are, and the prices they are quoting, I would always go with them.

Local is always best...

Steve

edited to add - unless you are close enough to CG Rees!

[Edited on 16/8/07 by worX]

David Jenkins - 16/8/07 at 03:01 PM

I used my local steel stockist... I got everything in one go, plus a bit spare, so I only had to pay 1 delivery charge. Also, prices tend to go down the more you buy - although not a lot for the quantities we buy for locosts!

Be prepared for the length of standard stock - can't remember exactly how long each piece was, but it is long! (5 or 6 metres, I think). It'll only just fit a standard garage!

David

fesycresy - 16/8/07 at 03:04 PM

Absolutely loads of steel stock holders around the Cardiff area.

Rycon Steels - CG Rees - ASD - Cwmbran Steels

CG Rees is THE place for all offcuts especially ally.

HTH

Lyn.

speedyxjs - 16/8/07 at 03:06 PM

Welcome
My local were S**T, so i went with parker and spent £100 delivered

This might be helpful

EDIT: sorry meant to say Parker steel

[Edited on 16-8-07 by speedyxjs]

Hurdsey - 16/8/07 at 03:54 PM

Try your local fabricator/blacksmith, you know the 2 man band in the railway arch, the ones that make gates/railings etc, they may have some left over from a job and its in the way, or if you get em chatting and tell em what your doing, they may order you some, next time they're ordering from the stockolders.

nasty-bob - 16/8/07 at 03:59 PM

I found Parkersteel to be cheaper than any local stockist (unless you buy off cuts).

And they deliver for £20. Cant argue with that as most of us cant transport 6m lengths

John Bonnett - 16/8/07 at 05:29 PM

I think you will need ERW not RHS. Ron gets a bit confused in the book. ERW is 1.6mm wall and RHS 3mm.

rgrs - 16/8/07 at 07:00 PM

If you deal with parker steel they refer to the steel as shs (square hollow section) it is erw tube.
rhs is rectangular hollow section.

Order everything you need in one go including either steel or ali for the floor as you will then pay only one delivery charge virtually anywhere
in the country. (they charged me £20 to deliver all of 800 yards !!) but as stated before standard lengths are 6m.

The part number for the tubes are:
25x25x1.5 01-78-06
20x20x1.5 01-77-64

Worth a phone call to them, try and speak to
the guys in the tool sales as they are very helpful and you might get a slightly better price.

sleepless - 20/8/07 at 11:25 AM

My first option is obviously to buy new......but just wondered where i could get it on the cheap or for nothing HAHAHAHA