Board logo

has anybody built a xr4x4 locost?
gothbiker - 4/1/11 at 02:32 PM

sorry for another post........
ive just been pointed in the direction of a sierra xr4x4 fitted with the 24v cosworth v6, has anybody built one? Ive found a few 4x4 cosworth turbos, just been thinking 4x4 could be fun...

marcjagman - 4/1/11 at 02:41 PM

Firstly, post as often as you want, this is what this site is here for. One or two have built 4x4 locosts and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you who. If you know of an XR4x4 with a 24v engine and you decide not to go ahead can you send me the details please as I could use a spares car.
Andy.

Mr G - 4/1/11 at 02:43 PM

4x4 -

ewanspence
liam
purdy

Search is your friend Example. Other members on here have the 24v fitted. I've got one in my Granada waiting to go into my XR4i.

Cheers

G

escary - 4/1/11 at 02:47 PM

i seem to recall that ewan was selling up last year, might be worth a wee e mail to jump start your project!

gothbiker - 4/1/11 at 02:48 PM

big thank you for your advice and not making look like an idiot, few bike sites are like that!! just checking a few ideas, ok fuel consumption would be great!! ruled out the rover v8 for that reason, Had a few in land rovers. Ive phone emerald fuel injection and they seem very helpfull, I think i'll be going that way for the ecu.
Id like to fit the best engine not have to rebuild it a year later. been there and done that!!!!

Chippy - 4/1/11 at 03:27 PM

Wellcome to the mad house, all questions will get answered on this site, most clued up bunch you can come across, (not me though), . Here is a 24V in my scratch built car. Cheers Ray

Engine
Engine

gothbiker - 4/1/11 at 03:43 PM

thanks alot for the info, just phoned dax up, theyre after nearly 3k for the 4x4 version, can be fitted with v6 engine mounts, seems a bit steep, there was a chassis on ebay a good few months ago which had all the brackets for the xr4x4, think it was in anglesea....

snapper - 4/1/11 at 05:36 PM

I have seen a couple built, one a Dax, the only problem I can see is the the transfer box on the back of the gearbox, in front of the gearlever exits on the driverside taking up quite a bit of room where your left leg goes

Liam - 4/1/11 at 08:32 PM

Hello and welcome.

I've been building a 4WD for like ever. Unfortunately things like moving houses, courting ==> marriage, renovating a house etc etc keep ketting in the way and I've done nowt for the last few years . Final build-up stage too, I was at. Will get back onto it soon I hope and finish!! There's some photos in my archive to have a look at.

Another guy showed up here a few weeks ago who's also building a 4WD but it will have full bodywork as he didn't reckon he could fit it all in a Seven shape (He's using a Jag V6). He dont post much here but has a website he's filling up with lots of stuff...

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/

Regarding Snapper's post - the transfer case isn't an issue as the bulge ends up under your raised knee.

Oh - I also have a load of pictures of a Dax Rush 4WD build with a V8 (this car was my inspiration) if you're interested.

[Edited on 4/1/11 by Liam]