Board logo

Locost/7 front tow strap location?
ShaunB - 26/12/11 at 04:14 PM

Fellow Locost & other '7' racers, where is your front tow strap attached?

Mines attached to a bracket on the frontmost chassis rail and the loop follows the underside of the nosecone. Near the front of the nosecone I have a thick elastic band between 2 small bolts and the loop passes through that to stop it dragging on the racetrack. All looks tidy enough, however I am concerned that if a recovery crew ever needed to use it to haul me out of the kitty litter they break the nose cone - so is there somewhere better?

Cheers,
Shaun.

[Edited on 26/12/11 by ShaunB]

macc man - 26/12/11 at 08:29 PM

I marshal at Oulton Park and it all depends on how damaged your car is. Very often a suspended tow is required if suspension is damaged. Sometimes the roll cage is used to tow out. As a rule we try to push cars to edge of the track for recovery. On my car it is fixed to beneath the nose cone, but a small length of nylon webbing is often added for towing.

ShaunB - 28/12/11 at 01:29 PM

I've been recovered 3 times so far, got 'assisted' into the gravel at Brands, no damage to the car, marshals pushed me out. Throttle cable snapped at Oulton, got towed in with a strap around the top of rollcage. Collision at Silverstone, bent front suspension, car lifted onto lowloader using front wheels and rear of rollcage.

Thought I'd seen a couple of locosts with the tow strap on one side, but wasn't sure where it was attached, maybe a wishbone bracket - not sure I'd want to get the whole car hauled out by such a setup though.