Board logo

tiger seal and my fuel tank
mk85 - 11/3/15 at 10:52 AM

Would I be fine if I used tiger seal to fix my fuel tank in place

adithorp - 11/3/15 at 11:09 AM

I wouldn't. You'll not be able to remove easily it should you ever need to. Also Tiger seal is affected by perol (it softens and swells) should you spill any or get a leak.

coozer - 11/3/15 at 11:15 AM

No, needs fixing with brackets and foam. Then in a shunt it can move around without ripping open. Fixing down with tiger seal would mean the top moving, bottom stock tear rip spill..

Ben_Copeland - 11/3/15 at 12:38 PM

As above... no, needs fixed straps around it

kitcardirect - 11/3/15 at 12:47 PM

yep just make some straps from thin ali bent over the tank and secure with bolts or rivnut bolt safest way

theprisioner - 11/3/15 at 12:52 PM

Petrol dissolves Tiger seal/Silcoflex etc

adithorp - 11/3/15 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
yep just make some straps from thin ali bent over the tank and secure with bolts or rivnut bolt safest way

Tank straps should be steel rather than ally.

I had a full tank fall out of a Striker right in front of me on track once Fuel spraying everywhere but luckily an ally tank so no sparks as it bounced around. The ally straps had broken where they were bent around the tank (suspended on Strikers/Furys). After that I inspected my ally straps and found cracks in the same places so replaced with steel. I just cut 2x 1" strips off a sheet of 20gauge.

You should have a rubber between the tank and strap. I just threaded the strap through an old bike inner tube.

Jon Ison - 11/3/15 at 01:49 PM

Off to check my ally straps, thanks for the heads up

garyo - 11/3/15 at 02:18 PM

My old Westfield straps were ally. The tank was sat on the spaceframe though so not taking nearly as much load as a dangleberry tank.

40inches - 11/3/15 at 02:37 PM

I used ally straps, done 3000miles still OK. But I did make sure that the straps didn't take any bending stress, I braced them against the rear bulkhead and side chassis members.
sender
sender
mounting straps
mounting straps

adithorp - 11/3/15 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I used ally straps, done 3000miles still OK. But I did make sure that the straps didn't take any bending stress, I braced them against the rear bulkhead and side chassis members.
sender
sender
mounting straps
mounting straps

The cracks in mine (and the one that fell out) were in the tight 90deg angle where you've folded the end over bolt it up.

40inches - 11/3/15 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
sender
sender
mounting straps
mounting straps

The cracks in mine (and the one that fell out) were in the tight 90deg angle where you've folded the end over bolt it up.

The ends are pieces of angle riveted on to the strip

adithorp - 11/3/15 at 07:36 PM

The tank in question...

Was scary at 90mph.