Board logo

Reccomend me some interior panel material
Davegtst - 21/11/10 at 09:46 PM

I need some material to panel the inside of my MK. I've got the pinseal abs stuff that came with my kit but i would prefer it to be smooth. Do i go for aluminium or plastic and what plastic to go for? Also where is the best/cheapest place to et it from?

nick205 - 21/11/10 at 09:54 PM

My personal preference is Ally for internal panelling - 1-1.2mm thick is ideal, easy to cut and bend where necessary. One thing that always improves the interior panelling IMO is fitting single piece side panels to the tunnel and not doing it in 2 sections. If you prefer black then you could make the panels in ally and have them powder coated.

mikegsi - 21/11/10 at 10:22 PM

I'm thinking about this too, mine came with some brushed aluminium inserts, but one of the sections has a large hole I don't need.

I plan on getting some thin plastic and wrapping it in some carbon effect vinyl

Humbug - 22/11/10 at 07:32 AM

Depending on what look you are going for and the radius of the interior tubing, you could do what I did and leave the tubes exposed and fill in the gaps with foam mat

SPYDER - 22/11/10 at 09:01 AM

We left the tubes exposed as well. Why hide a good looking chassis?
We used genuine carbon fibre sheet to panel our tunnel on the inside of the tubes.

[img]http://[/img]

Davegtst - 22/11/10 at 09:09 AM

I would love carbon fibre but where can i get ready made carbon panels? Bit pricey aswell isn't it.

franky - 22/11/10 at 09:29 AM

Also properly riveted/bonded alloy adds strength to the chassis. Doesn't look as nice as the above though!

Davegtst - 22/11/10 at 10:47 AM

Just been quote £140 for 3 8x4 sheets of 1.2 ally sheet delivered. I'll probably only need 2 but does this sound about right?

Bluemoon - 22/11/10 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Just been quote £140 for 3 8x4 sheets of 1.2 ally sheet delivered. I'll probably only need 2 but does this sound about right?

Just remember Ally will scratch, equally it will polish!.. This is how I have done it (old indy) and happy with it.. outer chassis was left exposed, tunnel was covered.

Dan

Davegtst - 22/11/10 at 06:09 PM

Thanks for the comments, i'm going to do it in ally now. May even get it powdercoated when its all cut to size.