Board logo

powder coating ?????
joni - 2/12/12 at 06:16 PM

hi iam building a light weight westfield race car and was wondering what would be the best finish for the inner alloy panels,,, inside the cockpit ....Eather etch primer and spray satin black or power coating ? would the powder coating add extra weight to the alloy panels more than painting
thanks jonny

[Edited on 2/12/12 by joni]

[Edited on 2/12/12 by joni]

loggyboy - 2/12/12 at 06:19 PM

Difference in weight would be negligable, spray is generally harder to get a good finish, but powder coating requires more complex equipment, especially the baking of larger components. (ps its PowDer coating)

Talon Motorsport - 2/12/12 at 06:27 PM

I like the idea of power coating may be it adds 10bhp per every square metre? What colour gives the most power gains?

matt_gsxr - 2/12/12 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Talon Motorsport
I like the idea of power coating may be it adds 10bhp per every square metre? What colour gives the most power gains?

red is fastest, obviously

Carbonman - 2/12/12 at 06:59 PM

If it's a "lightweight race car" then surely they should be Carbon panels not Ally
Seriously just finish them with Scotchbrite soaked in WD40.

[Edited on 2/12/12 by Carbonman]

joolsmi16 - 2/12/12 at 07:18 PM

Dont spray paint the inner panels, I did and was amazed how much paint and therefore extra weight was added, a coat of etch then a few flash coats and a top coats all adds up

StevieB - 2/12/12 at 07:29 PM

Surely if you're building a lightweight car, you'd neither paint nor powder coat and save some weight (and expense).