Board logo

Cleaning Expansion bottle
RichardK - 11/2/07 at 07:15 PM

Has anybody got any tips as to how to clean the inside of my expansion tank, it's off a VW and has a fine mesh type filter thing inside so can't physically get in it. Thinking of a bleach type of mixture or a bottle of Cillit bang in there.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

gregs - 11/2/07 at 07:29 PM

caustic soda - but don't get it on you....

locoboy - 11/2/07 at 07:30 PM

Rip out the filter!

No other expansion bottle i know of has a filter and its not going back in the VW so why do you need it?

Once removed get some gravel in there and experiment with cleaning agents.

Donners90 - 11/2/07 at 07:42 PM

Did it for me. Make up a strong solution and keep turning the reservoir to ensure all surfaces for about 30 mins or so. Remember to block up all holes or you'll cover yourself in bleach !!!!

givemethebighammer - 11/2/07 at 08:23 PM

dishwasher powder works pretty well.

RichardK - 11/2/07 at 08:46 PM

Cheers guys, tried Bleach, no good, trying washing soda as I had some left over from the electrolsis thingy, if that doesn't work will try the caustic soda thing, just a bit worried that the causic soda would melt the bottle or something equally awful

Cheers

Rich

rusty nuts - 11/2/07 at 09:17 PM

Dishwasher powder worked well for mine and is also very good for getting oil from a cooling system after head gasket failed and filled system with oil . Everything else I tried failed

UncleFista - 11/2/07 at 09:20 PM

Hot water, squirt of washing-up liquid, and a handfull of sharp sand.
Shake it all up and Voila !

RichardK - 11/2/07 at 10:05 PM

Due to this seemingly integral filter thing I can't use gravel or sand which would have been nice and easy.

Ok so I'll try my dishwashers powder next, her blusher or foundation?

Retreats & ducks for cover

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 11/2/07 by RichardK]

robertst - 11/2/07 at 11:09 PM

i've tried dishwasher powder, caustic soda, bleach, turpentine, sand, gravel, little stones (basically gravel), and even industrial paint stripper (left me groggy for at leat two days). nothing has worked.

except the old toothbrush... found out the only way for me was to get a really long, flexible spatula and carve the grime off the bottle...

oh and forget about making it white and shiny again...

[Edited on 11/2/07 by robertst]

designer - 12/2/07 at 07:59 AM

Try soaking in Bruclens used by home brewers to clean/sterilise bottles and tubs.

David Jenkins - 12/2/07 at 08:30 AM

I soaked mine in Arial soap powder...

02GF74 - 12/2/07 at 08:51 AM

if shaking the hell out of it with fine gravel inside makes no difference, it may be the plastic has been discoloured so nothing will change that.

any crud on the surface would have been removed by gravel striking it.

Phil.J - 12/2/07 at 08:54 AM

Don't know about expansion bottle, but either you are enormous or you have a very small house!

Lightning - 12/2/07 at 09:05 AM

Arial soap powder for me too. Worked a treat.

zetec7 - 12/2/07 at 09:11 AM

Got access to someone with a pressure steam cleaner? That'll clean the crud off it (after all, it cleans grimy engine blocks back to shiny!). Stick the end of the wand in there, give it a shot for a minute, rinse, and voila!

gottabedone - 19/2/07 at 05:58 PM

Is the crud the normal red/brown rusty deposit that gathers with age? If so try sticking a long piece of wire in the end of your drill. Put a loop on the other end and a piece of cloth through it. You can then agitate your detergent. Worked for me - oh and i put it in the dishwasher but don't tell!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve