Board logo

height poll
marc n - 24/11/06 at 09:03 AM

ok guys
as you know im currently developing a hard top and doors for the car and weather gear to go with the windscreen, i could do with an average heighjt to work from hence the poll

not just open to mnr owners but everyones feedback would be greatly appreatiated

many thanks

marc

marc n - 24/11/06 at 09:03 AM

rather proud of myself first time ive done a poll and it works

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 09:14 AM

Quote ..

a giraffe im over 6 feet 2 inches

Thanks for that .

Not my fault I am 6 feet 6.5 inches tall

regards

Agriv8

marc n - 24/11/06 at 09:19 AM

seems your not alone iain unless you voted three times to keep yourself company

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marc n
seems your not alone iain unless you voted three times to keep yourself company

Nope honest ( i thought about it but didn't ) these lanky gits should not be allowed

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 09:29 AM

See more lanky gits than short ar'ses.

Come on you lankeys

regard

Agriv8

mookaloid - 24/11/06 at 09:36 AM

Surely you should be working to fit the tall guys in?

If you work from an average height then half the population won't fit in

Cheers

Mark

G.Man - 24/11/06 at 09:53 AM

I think with good use of velcro, the weather gear could be designed to fit any size roll bar...

My Designe would fit securely to the screen, with a top that wrapped over the roll bar and velcro'd to itself inside...

Sides would then zip on, front to back, ending where the top hit the roll bar, with the bottoms attached via press studs set at a height to suit the individual car...

personally, I would only want the top, as I need it to keep the sun off, not the car dry

chockymonster - 24/11/06 at 10:07 AM

Height isn't the issue, it's upper body length.
My Father in law is 6'4 but has a shorter upper body than me!

marc n - 24/11/06 at 10:23 AM

more to do with the hardtop, cause if its tall its gonna look poo , wet wether gear lloks dreadfull anyway so it doesnt matter

iank - 24/11/06 at 10:57 AM

Most manufacturers work to a 5-95 percentile rule.
A lot of the human size data is now rather old (hell I used to tower above people when I left school at 5'11" but now I'm probably near average).

I have data from the 70's USA so excuse the imperial measurements Adult male figures (can provide others if you need them).

Standing height
5th 63.5"
50th 68.3"
95th 72.8"

Sitting height (i.e. arse to top of head)
5th 28.7"
50th 31.3"
95th 33.5"

Hammerhead - 24/11/06 at 11:44 AM

HI Marc,

As the above post says, look for some anthropometric (i think) data. UK average male height is 5'10" (well it was when I finished my degree in product design in 1999)
The info is different for each country but it might be worth checking out some of the car designers websites to find what percentage over the average they work to.

I have print outs at home of the percentile charts, if you need a copy let me know and i'll dig them out.

G.Man - 24/11/06 at 12:26 PM

Mark, dont mss the viper trick with the hard top...

Humps in the head position

Dillinger1977 - 24/11/06 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Height isn't the issue, it's upper body length.
My Father in law is 6'4 but has a shorter upper body than me!

similar case to me. very annoying as i have the chair quite far back to fit legs in, but have to have the seat angle near vertical so i can reach the wheel + gearstick..
plus i can barely see over the bulge! (so a 2nd aero thing is out of the question unless it could be done in perspex!)

MikeR - 24/11/06 at 02:10 PM

Well i'm not that tall, i only just get over the 6'2"

BenB - 24/11/06 at 02:26 PM

I'm 6ft4... Main problem for me is the amount (or lack) or room for feet (14s). Unless I wear converse type basketball shoes my feet press too many pedals all at once!!!
LOL

B

mandbsheldon - 24/11/06 at 03:16 PM

Top arf of me is 6foot 8, with only 2foot legs, that's why I chose an Indy
leigh

clutch_kick - 24/11/06 at 03:23 PM

move to a mediterranean country and you won't need weather gear or hard-tops

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick
move to a mediterranean country and you won't need weather gear or hard-tops

Ohh sharp comment sir

( but there born in Yorkshire ) in most cases it would have been a water birth

regards

Agriv8

clutch_kick - 24/11/06 at 03:56 PM

I'd swap british weather for maltese weather anytime It sucks when you tune an engine in winter only to have it blow a piston on you, because the outside air-temp was 35'C and the intercooler, effectively becomes an interwarmer

Jokes apart, i'm not a fan of the hot, stuffy weather we have in summer. Mainly because i don't get to enjoy the fine summer weather and the tourists, because of my job hehe

So marc, if you're offering a hard-top, please offer an air-con system along with it too

DIY Si - 24/11/06 at 04:38 PM

What's wrong with being 6'2" + eh? I'm 6'3" and have quite long legs and fairly wide shoulders, which can be a real pain in a 7, as my arm has to rest on the handbrake when cruising! Also the size 13 boats don't help matters. My point being that some of us need the width as well as height. Others are just fat!

G.Man - 24/11/06 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick
I'd swap british weather for maltese weather anytime It sucks when you tune an engine in winter only to have it blow a piston on you, because the outside air-temp was 35'C and the intercooler, effectively becomes an interwarmer

Jokes apart, i'm not a fan of the hot, stuffy weather we have in summer. Mainly because i don't get to enjoy the fine summer weather and the tourists, because of my job hehe

So marc, if you're offering a hard-top, please offer an air-con system along with it too

I live in cyprus, and trust me, when its 40 degrees in the shade a whole host of new problems occur.. like constant boiling over for starters...

Then there is the open top, which means you nead a liberal application of factor 20 before any drive, and you still burn...

As for aircon, you can get this for kits already, i think kit car builders sell them... about £500

No good for bike engined cars tho..

jollygreengiant - 24/11/06 at 06:58 PM

Ok I'll come out of the closet, ..... I'm a lanky git at 6' 4".

I would have voted twice (possibly 3 times) to include my 6' 4" 17 year old son and a third time to include my 15 year old daughter (currently 5' 6" predicted to be 6' 4".)

[Edited on 24/11/06 by jollygreengiant]

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Ok I'll come out of the closet, ..... I'm a lanky git at 6' 4".

I would have voted twice (possibly 3 times) to include my 6' 4" 17 year old son and a third time to include my 15 year old daughter (currently 5' 6" predicted to be 6' 4".)

[Edited on 24/11/06 by jollygreengiant]

Blimey jollygreengiant i wouldnt like your clothes bill for a year.

I am 6' 6" was always nearly the talest at scool just didn't stop growing untill about 22 my main prolem is legs 36" inside leg and shoe's 12.5 - 13's wide

its easier to get long trousers and shoes now but when at school 20 years ago Expensive.

Now at least next ( catalog / tinternet) caters for us lanky gits

chockymonster - 24/11/06 at 07:34 PM

My god, since when did this become about fashion! leave that to the women

Agriv8 - 24/11/06 at 07:39 PM

Chocky nowt to do wtith fasion but 1/2 mast trousers while trying your best to chat the ladies up on a friday night didnt quite work.

( i always blame the trousers not my crap chatup lines )

regards

Agriv8

Krismc - 24/11/06 at 08:53 PM

ive voted for me @ a measly 5'10 and just for your reference colin (Vortx No46) is 6ft2

GeorgeM - 24/11/06 at 10:10 PM

looks like i'm another short ar*e then @ 5'9" by the way Agriv8, i saw the shower head above your seats last saturday but couldn't see the drain
looks like i'll be starting my build in march- can't wait!

amalyos - 24/11/06 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeM
looks like i'm another short ar*e then @ 5'9" by the way Agriv8, i saw the shower head above your seats last saturday but couldn't see the drain
looks like i'll be starting my build in march- can't wait!

So you took the plunge then George.
Good luck with the build, don't forget, I'm only round the corner if you need any help.
What setup did you go with in the end?

Steve

GeorgeM - 24/11/06 at 10:44 PM

hello Steve, yes nearly there , just finalising details with Chris after last weekends visit. looks like its an RT inboard R1 injection, but with some xtras!
PS thanks for the spin

marc n - 25/11/06 at 09:24 AM

cheers everyone for the help, gives me something to be working with on the mockups next week,on the lead up to christmas im working on the mazda donor vortx, hardtop and doors for vortx, doing the chassis for our new demo car possibly thinking supercharged small block chevy if it will fit
and finally building my lmp car, plus the normal day to day manufacturing i wonder if santa will lend me some of his elves

[Edited on 25/11/06 by marc n]

chockymonster - 25/11/06 at 09:45 AM

quote:
on the lead up to christmas im working on the mazda donor vortx

Using your mum's car is a bad idea you know

jcduroc - 2/3/07 at 10:12 PM

quote:
ok guys
as you know im currently developing a hard top and doors for the car and weather gear to go with the windscreen, i could do with an average heighjt to work from hence the poll

not just open to mnr owners but everyones feedback would be greatly appreatiated

many thanks

marc

Go for 1040 mm from the "flat bottom". Although most regulations stating this height state that it does comprise the roll hoop I consider it a good dim (1040+100 ground clearance= 1140)

bitsilly - 4/3/07 at 08:01 AM

Marc, do you do a soft top or preferably a tonneau?

PS it is anthropometric data you need, find a web site with some, or ask an A-level DT pupil. It should be really useful.

DarrenW - 6/3/07 at 09:49 AM

Id be tempted to design the hardtop to look OK on the car and suit up to 6'2". You could then offer a head bulge as an accessory for those less vertically challenged. I guess seat height, type of seats and helmets or not would also need to be factored in just to compound things a bit more.

The head bulge could be supplied with cutting template and itself have a flange so it can be sealed in place.

Lets hope that super tall people have eyes lower down in head though - otherwise front of bulge may need to have a mini screen fitted!!!!

[Edited on 6/3/07 by DarrenW]

coozer - 6/3/07 at 11:57 AM

What about a periscope?

I'd love to vote but the button disappears when I login. doh!

G.Man - 6/3/07 at 12:20 PM

That means you have already voted

M15ley - 23/7/09 at 11:46 AM

I appreciate this is a very old thread, but did anything come of the proposed hardtop/half doors/tonneau cover thing??