Board logo

Electrical crimper for these terminals: Where from?
omega0684 - 11/10/10 at 10:27 AM

Morning Guys,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct crimpers for "THESE" terminals and where can i get them from?

Cheers

Alex

rayward - 11/10/10 at 10:30 AM

RS Components

not cheap though !!

Ray

Charlie_Zetec - 11/10/10 at 10:47 AM

I looked at those crimping tools, but eventually decided to put a tiny rop of solder and carefully compress the clips on the inserts for those connectors with needlenose pliers.

Admittedly the car isn't running or on the road yet (no correlation to the work I've done!), but they're holding fine to date.

omega0684 - 11/10/10 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I looked at those crimping tools, but eventually decided to put a tiny rop of solder and carefully compress the clips on the inserts for those connectors with needlenose pliers.

Admittedly the car isn't running or on the road yet (no correlation to the work I've done!), but they're holding fine to date.

this is what i was just thinking, i was prepared to pay maybe £30-£40 as i knew that they would need a "special" crimper for them but £155 is just rediculous!

[Edited on 11/10/10 by omega0684]

balidey - 11/10/10 at 11:11 AM

Its an AMP Superseal.
The proper crimps are the ones to use, but you can do it with these...

crimper

Our Sparkies have used both, if doing lots then spend the money, if just a few then you can get by with the cheaper ones

[Edited on 11/10/10 by balidey]

GMPMotorsport - 11/10/10 at 11:22 AM

Have you tried Maplin?

Agriv8 - 11/10/10 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec

another vote for this method as well on Vems ECU connector if you want supper neat you can also wrap with heat shrink

regards

agriv8

ReMan - 11/10/10 at 12:55 PM

I used my normal (reasonable quality ratchet) crimper for those with no problem.
(Rear light conns under the wings)

You can borrow it if you want

MikeR - 11/10/10 at 01:00 PM

i've got a 'reasonable' (got it from vehicle wiring products when i got my loom) ratchet you can borrow.

(i've got two - not sure if you want the insulated or non insulated ratchet)

40inches - 11/10/10 at 01:41 PM

I have a Ref MP71 crimper, I have used it almost every day on different size crimps for a year(including the very ones you have link for). Highly recommended

Dusty - 11/10/10 at 02:06 PM

I have had a PR4 from vehicle wiring products for ten years. Made my own loom. Solder free. Loom and crimper still A1.

jollygreengiant - 11/10/10 at 04:24 PM

I have been using a proper crimping tool for years now but it was no where near that price.

I have found that Durite make one Linky dinky (PDF page) part no 0-703-50

Available from Bedford Battery (northampton) £52.75 +VAT. You should have a Durite supplier in your area, Durite supply a lot electrical kit, wire, connectors, switches all for the motor trade.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 11/10/10 by jollygreengiant]

rallyingden - 11/10/10 at 06:38 PM

Polevolt.co.uk sell both crimpers and the terminals / plugs and sockets.

RD

tegwin - 11/10/10 at 08:47 PM

I did my entire loom using a pair of needle pliers.... folding over the lugs and then soldering the connector..

Fiddly, and not perfect, but it works...

Would £150 have been a good investment.... YES!!!!

mad-butcher - 12/10/10 at 02:40 PM

were the f**k do some of these places get there prices, balideys link £18.50 and did I see mentioned £150
try premi er wiring
the cheap crimping tool came free with the wiring harness and I think I paid £20 at B & Q for my ratchet one complete with a selection of red, yellow and blue insulated fittings and £20 for my non insulated ratched

tony

dhutch - 13/10/10 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rallyingden
Polevolt.co.uk sell both crimpers and the terminals / plugs and sockets.

Just ordered a pair of crimpers from Polevolt.

- One for superseals http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_TT320.html
- And one ofr all the rest... http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_TT308.html

Cracking name for a company and priced as well any other.

Daniel

Dave Bailey - 13/10/10 at 08:29 PM

I have used these throughout my car and as stated Polevolt do a cheap hand crimper that works pretty well...

Thanks
Dave B