Board logo

need help with a couple of wires
mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 07:19 PM

Hayabusa Indy that i dont know a great deal of its history other than it has had a lot of money spent on tuning the engine a few owners ago......

went to fit a replacement speed sensor today and had a dig around with the wiring, theres a wire which has been 'cut' and the end was loose in the engine bay, the other end is wired into the loom behind the dash

this is where it looks to have been cut from, but one of the cables has been connected to the pictured connector and a diode (?) of some sort inserted in the other 2 ends

the loom has 3 wires in it, all have been snipped but as above one is in use, so even if i was to re-connect the wire there'd still be one of the three not connected.

the car runs fine as it is without the wires connected

this is a pic of the other end of the snipped wire where it is connected into the loom

the cable that runs alongside it seems to go into the bottom part of the engine (must confess to knowing s.f.a. about bike engines....)

any ideas what it could be, or what the connector with the 'diode' in is?

im not to concerned about re-connecting it unless its thought that i really should, car runs ok as it is.... just im the sort that would do away with any wiring that ive snipped on purpose and i wonder why the rest of this cable hasnt been tidied away properly and just left in the engine bay

stevegough - 20/11/10 at 07:38 PM

The component is not a diode, but a resistor. (sorry can't help you directly with your question, but if it is working fine - the Mantra that says "if it's working don't fix it" is a good one to follow?)

Steve.

mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
The component is not a diode, but a resistor. (sorry can't help you directly with your question, but if it is working fine - the Mantra that says "if it's working don't fix it" is a good one to follow?)

Steve.

good mantra mate

i would just like to know what it is and what it does and why this wire isnt connected anymore or if it should be

Davegtst - 20/11/10 at 08:15 PM

Looks like the gear position sensor plug with a resistor bodged in.

[Edited on 20/11/10 by Davegtst]

mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 08:23 PM

the evodash does seem to display what gear im in when running, though ive only gone upto 3rd on my private driveway just to test it ran ok

Davegtst - 20/11/10 at 08:37 PM

Does the other half of that plug go to your dash? Apparently putting a resistor in the gear position wires can fool the ecu into thinking it's in a higher gear which have a more aggressive ignition curve. Hasn't been done very well though.

mikegsi - 20/11/10 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Does the other half of that plug go to your dash? Apparently putting a resistor in the gear position wires can fool the ecu into thinking it's in a higher gear which have a more aggressive ignition curve. Hasn't been done very well though.

ahh, that would make sense, yes the wire seems to go into the main loom which then leads into the ecu...

so a case of snip and solder to neaten this up is recommended!

and as for the remainder of the other wire that looks to have been snipped? just leave it as is?