Board logo

no beam patern on dip beam
john_p_b - 13/8/05 at 06:26 PM

as title really folks.

dragged the car on to the beam setter at work and all i'm showing up is just a mass of light MOT bloke said to change the lenses left to right as they looked the wrong way around so did that but made no odds. spoke to charlie at mk as they supplied the lights, he said to change the halogen bulbs for regular old style bulbs, tried that and still they are the same.

anyone got any ideas? test is a week monday and i'm running out of ideas fast!

Hellfire - 13/8/05 at 07:57 PM

Is the bulb on full beam??? You need the dipside to be on.

If not then you have bike lights by the sound of it.

carlgeldard - 13/8/05 at 08:14 PM

I had the same problem 3 days before my SVA. I was going to buy new lenses but after a phone call to the SVA man at the centre I left them alone. They are the old style beam pattern and should not cause you any problems at all.

Carl

john_p_b - 13/8/05 at 08:39 PM

hellfire, they are deffinately on dip and not main beam. surely MK wouldn't supply me with bike lights for a car?!?!

Hellfire - 14/8/05 at 08:49 AM

As Carl says then....

johnjulie - 14/8/05 at 09:05 AM

Have you got the bulbs in the correct positions inside the fitting?
Cheers John

john_p_b - 14/8/05 at 01:27 PM

yeah the bulb is correctly fitted, can only go in one way really unless it's forced.

didn't know there was a "old style" beam patern, guess i'll just let it go and see how we go

muzz - 16/8/05 at 08:13 PM

Ive taken my MK for Mot today prior to its Sva next Tuesday and mine were the same. My lens are from Europa and are 5 3/4 round lenses fitted with H4 bulbs. The tester said because they were old style lights they were ok so long as they were they lined up. Hope this is right.

muzz - 21/8/05 at 05:25 AM

Try fitting the old stye tunstan bulbs if they'll fit. That worked for me

Steve @ sVc - 24/8/05 at 05:00 PM

I'm just amazed that you were told to change the lights from left to right - what difference will that make?? Both dip to the left.
Also not too sure about "old pattern".
Our lights were originally "E" marked, in some cases 20 years ago (old pattern lens Wipac). These have exactly the same beam pattern.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

By the way – lenses that use H4 halogen bulbs should be marked as such and not accept the older design tungsten type.

Regards
Steve @ sVc

gottabedone - 10/9/05 at 09:47 PM

Just a thought......when I got headlights for my Minari they were for left had drive cars and we couldn't adjust them in at all!

coovey - 10/9/05 at 10:31 PM

We had the exact same problem with the left one at SVA, just a mass of light. The inspector suggested new bulbs. But out of interest we swapped the bulbs over in the lamps and they both work fine. May not have been seated properly

wilkingj - 11/9/05 at 10:08 PM

I have had this... Its the position of the LITTLE reflector in the headlamp. With the wrong bulbs you just get a broad beam, with no real cutoff point.
Take the bulbs out, and check that are "E" rated, ie have an E and a number on them.
Or Take some out of another car and try them... Its the bulbs.

I bought a set of Wipac QuadOptic Halogen ones for £20, and then put my Nice 80/100 watt bulbs in the, and lost the beams totally... put the original bulbs in and all was OK again. took me a while to realise what was going on.

Try different bulbs. not necessarily expensive ones... just do one light at a time till you get a good pattern back, then buy another bulb.
Geoff