Board logo

Cycling Cameras.
morcus - 1/2/11 at 05:58 PM

I saw this and thought it was quite intresting.

Link

MikeRJ - 1/2/11 at 06:18 PM

The moral of the story is if you hit one of these lycra clad, sanctimonious a-holes when they speed through a red light, reverse and make sure the jobs done properly before disposing of their silly looking hat with a camera.

blakep82 - 1/2/11 at 06:24 PM

the moral of the story is, they should start paying road tax

interestedparty - 1/2/11 at 06:37 PM

It was on the news this morning, and what it amounted to, as far as the cyclists were concerned, was that it was something they could have INSTEAD of insurance. I've never tried to buy cyclist insurance, but I will bet it exists.

AndyW - 1/2/11 at 06:45 PM

and they should have insurance...........

Mal - 1/2/11 at 06:47 PM

If the cyclist is a member of the CTC (Cyclists Touring Club), which he could well be, he is automatically insured for damage he may cause to others.

BenB - 1/2/11 at 07:07 PM

I don't care if they have insurance, just number plates.
All well and good naming and shaming car drivers who drive recklessly but a level playing field would have cyclists being personally identifiable. I bet a few fines given out to red light jumpers would soon pay for the scheme and improve road safety no end.

T66 - 1/2/11 at 07:30 PM

How about this saddo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVI5E3tLPOE

[Edited on 1/2/11 by T66]

JAG - 1/2/11 at 08:56 PM

Ok - I'm a cyclist and a Locoster.

I commute to work on my bike.

I have massive sympathy for cyclists on our roads today - most drivers don't give a toss and will 'accidentally' kill a cyclist without any risk of harming themselves.

I get overtaken on blind corners (who knows what's coming the other way?), they overtake within 12" when travelling at 50mph, during the overtake they will pull in sharply when something comes the other way without giving me a thought, they don't see me and cut-me up at junctions

Their vehicle weighs at least 1 tonne - my bike and I weigh 100kgs at most. Cyclists don't stand a chance and will die in the slightest collision - drivers should take more care.

I think the camera is to help prosecute dangerous drivers and is used WITH INSURANCE.

Road Tax: cars have to pay to use the road because of the damage they cause - cyclists don't cause damage and, along with pedestrians, have a legal RIGHT to use the public highways without taxation.

I can't defend jumping red lights - but it's not going to kill anyone

Hammerhead - 1/2/11 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
the moral of the story is, they should start paying road tax

Well I ride bikes for fitness and pay £740+ road tax a year. So what's your point?

Well put JAG.

[Edited on 1/2/11 by Hammerhead]

JAG - 1/2/11 at 09:04 PM

Good point about Road Tax - when I'm cycling to work there are two cars on my drive not going anywhere that both have Road Tax

[Edited on 1/2/11 by JAG]

designer - 1/2/11 at 09:14 PM

Thats not the point. You use a road, you should pay, even if it's only a token amount.

Canoes have to pay to use a river.

JAG - 1/2/11 at 09:35 PM

I already do pay - for two cars that I'm not driving when I'm cycling to work.

I suspect it's the same situation for most cyclists on our roads.

interestedparty - 1/2/11 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Ok - I'm a cyclist and a Locoster.

I commute to work on my bike.

I have massive sympathy for cyclists on our roads today - most drivers don't give a toss and will 'accidentally' kill a cyclist without any risk of harming themselves.

I get overtaken on blind corners (who knows what's coming the other way?), they overtake within 12" when travelling at 50mph, during the overtake they will pull in sharply when something comes the other way without giving me a thought, they don't see me and cut-me up at junctions

Their vehicle weighs at least 1 tonne - my bike and I weigh 100kgs at most. Cyclists don't stand a chance and will die in the slightest collision - drivers should take more care.

I think the camera is to help prosecute dangerous drivers and is used WITH INSURANCE.

Road Tax: cars have to pay to use the road because of the damage they cause - cyclists don't cause damage and, along with pedestrians, have a legal RIGHT to use the public highways without taxation.

Nobody has a legal right to use anything, unless the government says so. If tomorrow they decide to tax cyclists then they can do it, legally. Because what is legal is what they say is legal.

Everybody knows that cyclists are very vulnerable in an accident with a car, but as it is recognised that many drivers don't see cycists, I wonder if maybe cyclists need to be a bit more careful too. All very well being in the right but not if if you are also in the ground, in a box.

loggyboy - 1/2/11 at 09:57 PM

Thats complete bullshit, was 100% the cyclists fault, he had been overtaken and the Highway codes states once someone attempts an overtake you should back off.
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

He under took the van on a bend, shouted at him when he should have merged behind him, then once he'd uindertaken the van going round the bend, the van overtook him again he moved right in to the side of the van, instead of just backing off and going behind.
That bloke looks, sounds, rides and acts like a cock.

Maybe the van driver should have given him a little more room and certainly shouldnt have got out and smacked him, but if some uninsured twat ran his 'vehicle' down the side of my van i'd be pissed off!

blakep82 - 1/2/11 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I already do pay - for two cars that I'm not driving when I'm cycling to work.

I suspect it's the same situation for most cyclists on our roads.

so then you're saying if you have 2 cars, you should only pay tax on one? well we know thats not the case, all cars have to be taxed if they're to be used, and so should bikes

phelpsa - 1/2/11 at 10:13 PM

I've found that a lot of cyclists like to be confrontational...

I had a confrontation with a cyclist once when I was queuing for a roundabout. Motorbikes coming down the outside so i pull left to let them through, 10 seconds later a cyclist comes down the inside, stops as there isnt enough room to get through, slaps the rear quarter of the car and shouts at me 'stop being a bleeping prick'.

I can see why the thought went through his head, and to him it may well have appeared that i was trying to block cyclists, when in fact i had even considered that there may be cyclists intending to undertake (no cycle lane or anything).

dmac - 1/2/11 at 10:25 PM

Its all right saying that bicycles should pay road tax but how much should they pay?

Road damage is accepted to be proportional to the fourth power of the axle load of the vehicle so if the axle load of a bike is 1/10 that of a car then the tax ratio should be 1/10,000.

So if the road tax for a car is £110 then the bike should pay 1.1p, the cost of collecting it is so much more than the tax that it just isn't worth it.

Duncan

loggyboy - 1/2/11 at 10:38 PM

Im not fussed by taxing bikes, i think people should be paid to ride them for commutin, but if used on road for anything more than lesiure, they should be properly registered, insured and riders should have at least a theory test. (im sure most have car licenses anyway)

RazMan - 1/2/11 at 11:13 PM

Road tax might be taking it a bit too far, but insurance? .... definitely - cyclists are equally capable of causing an accident and/or damage to people and property so they need to be identifiable and held accountable, just like any other road user.

Simon - 1/2/11 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Thats not the point. You use a road, you should pay, even if it's only a token amount.

Canoes have to pay to use a river.

Perhaps pedestrians should pay too, and dog walkers whose mutts poo everywhere - a turd tax. Maybe horseriders too, for the same reason.

Appears to be quite a lot of angry car drivers on here - go and buy a bike and stop whinging, you'll get fitter, might enjoy it then can get all self righteous about car drivers

ATB

Simon

A1 - 2/2/11 at 12:22 AM

what about the fact that youre not really allowed to film public property without a license?

Im sick of cyclists who think they can do what they want, saw one a while ago shouting and swearing at a car driver whod blasted his horn at him cause he cycled through a red light on a junction the car was crossing.
if theyre going to use the road, they should follow the same rules as cars at traffic lights, and the cops should start fining them as strictly as they do us.

interestedparty - 2/2/11 at 06:56 AM

I was reading about a case a while back where there was a queue of traffic heading into a city. So one of the cars in the queue lets someone who was coming the other way turn to the right (across the queue of traffic) and into a side street. So chummy has nearly completed his turn when a cyclist comes shooting up the inside of the cars in the queue and rides full pelt into the turning car, and hits him near the back end.

The cyclist is going that fast that he ends up going over the roof of the turning car, and the bike is of course written off. So it's pretty obvious that the cyclist had his head down, pumping away, glancing at the watch on his wrist, thinking he was going to get a good time today, maybe even shave a couple of seconds off his best, thinking what mugs all the fatties in the cars were for waiting in a queue, then bang!

But that's not the funny part, accidents aren't usually funny. The funny part is that the cyclist reckoned it was the car driver's fault!

Hammerhead - 2/2/11 at 07:49 AM

I filmed a leisure ride the other day, there were 3 occasions where I felt cars were too close etc. Good to have the footage in the bank I reckon.

I do agree that insurance might be a good idea for cyclists. I have public liability insurance which might cover cycling....I'll have to check. Insurance just makes sense.

Colnago_Man - 2/2/11 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The moral of the story is if you hit one of these lycra clad, sanctimonious a-holes when they speed through a red light, reverse and make sure the jobs done properly before disposing of their silly looking hat with a camera.

Hopefully MikeRJ its a member of your family or someone you love, then see if you attitude to another persons live changes.

Benzine - 2/2/11 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by A1
what about the fact that youre not really allowed to film public property without a license?

You are allowed

interestedparty - 2/2/11 at 09:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Hopefully MikeRJ its a member of your family or someone you love, then see if you attitude to another persons live changes.

Anybody who speeds through a red light has got a pretty low opinion of his own life, so why should anyone else worry about it?

But basically if you couldn't see that Mike was exaggerating in order to emphasise a serious point then...

Daddylonglegs - 2/2/11 at 09:47 AM

As always, there are 2 sides to this story and the 2 will probably never agree.

I have seen plenty of steady, safe and courteous cyclist nearly knocked off because of someone either not seeing them or maybe deliberately moving over, who knows? But I have equally seen so many cyclist weaving from side-to-side when pedalling furiously with the bike going over to the left and right making it 3 times as wide. If I was on a bike and heard a car coming up behind me I would at least tray and make it easier for them to overtake without actually putting myself in danger.

It's similar to the way in which motorcylclists get 'tarred' because of a few idiots' actions. With cyclists it's the same with a classic example when they take it on themselves to use the car they have just undertaken as a place to rest there hand while they wait for the lights so they don't have to put their foot down.

The idiot in the video was most definitely a fool by getting himself into that situation in the first place! Yes, the van should not have cut over like he did but he did, and the sensible thing for the cyclist to do was to back off and at least have a bette chance of living! It was pure bloody-mindedness that got him knocked off in the first place!!

I have been riding motorcycles for well over 30 years and am 100% sure that the only reason I am still here is because I ride to stay alive, which quite often means letting some D**K get away with a blatant and dangerous action, but at least the only thing that got hurt was my pride.

I could rant about his all day but the only way things can improve is by some cyclists taking a little more responsibility for their survival, and that does not mean adding a camera and insurance so at least they have a claim when they do get knocked off.

And breathe................

T66 - 2/2/11 at 10:12 AM

Ive been driving quite a while now, and among the various altercations that come with driving , the two most significant ones were with cyclists, not blokes going to work but the racing bike / lycra attitudes that pervade .

Single track road, group of 8 or 9 coming toward me in a group across the full width, I slowed to a crawl, they didnt slow off at all the group split and thought they could maintain their speed while slipping down each side of my car. The gap either side was probably 8 maybe 10 inches.

Both mirrors were clattered , and when I beeped , I had a lunatic in through my window screaming at me I should of stopped and threatening to chin me. While the rest of the hard lads encouraged him.

Kids sitting in the car crying because of lunatic, If I had been out on my own, I suspect I would of turned round and "not seen them"....as I drove over them.

Car drivers can be wankers, however pound for pound cyclists can be very very aggressive, that video I posted on page 1 is a classic example of "I have right of way, Im a cyclist" The guy is a prick, who thinks what he is doing is right posting up videos of car drivers cutting him up.

General driving standards are pretty crap, under taking is now allowed, motorway onslips you dont give way now, your force lane 1 traffic out the way...If your being overtaken you now have to accelerate. etc etc etc

Bottom line - No traffic police, no enforcement, no point in telling the police if your cut up as everyone does it. HATOs driving on the motorways, well what can I say - Why do you need a £35000 4x4 to carry two fat bokes and a yard brush ?

Maybe the world would be a better place if , drivers waved and let you out the junctions once in a while, men held doors open for ladies (How sexist), women didnt wear tracksuits (How sexist) , Politeness is the key to a happy life...

Only way it will get any better, is cyclists ditch head cameras, car drivers respect cyclists, and we all start waving and smiling at each other....

Simples

JAG - 2/2/11 at 11:30 AM

T66 - Amen to that

SOME cyclists are W@nkers - no doubt

SOME car drivers are W@nkers - no doubt

However it's the cyclists that will get killed in most situations hence they tend to be a bit more angry when these incidents occur.

matt_gsxr - 2/2/11 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
SOME cyclists are W@nkers - no doubt

SOME car drivers are W@nkers - no doubt

However it's the cyclists that will get killed in most situations hence they tend to be a bit more angry when these incidents occur.

Most cyclist accept that they will get cut-up a bit, but near death does bring out the worst in me too. Drivers using their vehicle as a weapon should be prosecuted as such.

interestedparty - 2/2/11 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Drivers using their vehicle as a weapon should be prosecuted as such.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more

All we need now is an even handed approach, and to see some cyclists in court too.

T66 - 2/2/11 at 12:26 PM

I take your point.

A cyclist will always come of worst when mixed up with a car, I once ended up having a Subaru Outback not see me, I rode at a good pace straight into the back window.....lol Bent bike,bent face, & whiplash.

Being on a bike is no different to motorbikes, its not generally you who is going to cause your death or injury, you therefore have to assume everyone is out to kill you.

Driving safely at speed (or riding) is a system, whether your in a car or riding a bike - if you step outside that system (if you have one) and start undertaking, not giving way, shoddy overtaking, picking your nose, using your mobile, you raise the chances of ending up in a paramedics bucket.

Cyclists/Riders have even more to be concerned with, they are better of reading "Roadcraft" than bothering with cameras able to record them going in the paramedics bucket...

Keep waving & smiling , its the key to life...

Peteff - 2/2/11 at 12:48 PM

44 years ago I was fined for not having lights on my bike after dusk, I was a teenager and the £4 was a lot in those days. You could also be prosecuted for riding on the pavement or going the wrong way down a one way street. Nowadays no-one polices anything like this so it is rife where we live. I ride a cycle and a motorcycle and I do watch other road users for my own safety as a matter of course but there's always someone who will think of a new way to catch you unawares. Everyone should try riding as well as driving just to see how the other half survives.

T66 - 2/2/11 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
44 years ago I was fined for not having lights on my bike after dusk, I was a teenager and the £4 was a lot in those days. You could also be prosecuted for riding on the pavement or going the wrong way down a one way street. Nowadays no-one polices anything like this so it is rife where we live. I ride a cycle and a motorcycle and I do watch other road users for my own safety as a matter of course but there's always someone who will think of a new way to catch you unawares. Everyone should try riding as well as driving just to see how the other half survives.

Thats my point,

There has been a gradual watering down of whats now seen as acceptable...

Poor driving is debated here every other day, we all accept it now as the norm. Why do white vans get a bad name, your as likely to get driven into by anyone else out there.

I have been on the end of a traffic cops "advice" session when stopped age 17... I havent forgotten what he said, and now dont drive with my fog lights on when I dont need them. And how often do you see that nowadays??

The minor stuff has been sidelined, subsequently the benchmark of poor driving gets ever higher.

This watering down applies to a lot more than cycling & driving.

mad4x4 - 2/2/11 at 01:59 PM

Sorry but I think in Cities most of these "proffessional" cylcists you see on your daily commute should be shot at BIRTH. In Aberdeen there is more than one that cycles well in the middle on the road causing two lanes of traffic to squeeze together making for idiots forcing into queues and braking hard.

I think that by minimum they should have :

1) Insurance
2) Pay Road tax - THEY USE THE ROAD
3) Display a Vehicle Registration - so we can identify them if they cause traffic incident or lash out at CARS.

Then there is the bit where it is ok for a cyclist to bump onto the pavment then bump off again to miss ligths or cross the road with the green man. If I did that in a CAR or on a MOTORBIKE i;d be strung up

[Edited on 2/202/11 by mad4x4]

Moorron - 2/2/11 at 02:54 PM

i can see why both car drivers and cyclists are annoyed by this. Too many idiots on both if you ask me.

The problem i have witnessed myself is most people dont see the cyclists, after buying myself by first mountain bike in 15 years and riding it most weekends i have nearly been killed by atleast 3 cars. What gets my goat is on every incident they looked right at me, eye contact between us yet they still pull out infront of you meaning i have to swerve to avoid them, then they just carry on without a sorry or wave.

Ive always been a polite driver, giving room to anyone who needs it including large lorries on corners and the such where they overhang the road, but must admit to not seeing motorbikes on islands a few time in my life but have managed to stop about 1 foot out of a junction, then waving sorry to them as they shake their heads.

But it seems that many people just dont care for anyone else but themselves, regardless of the cost (as in lives) to others, not only on the highway but anywhere else in public. The amount of times i have avoided a smack both in my cars or on bike due to other peoples idiotic attitude must have saved the insurance companies about £50K+, yet my insurance is still silly high so why should i be different and just 'go with the flow'.

Both cyclists and cars are missused and until those missusing them get punished its only going to get worse, the filming of it only helps show what the police have been missing for years but nothing will happen, no laws changed and we will continue to spiral downwards until it does.

Dog eat Dog world.

bob - 2/2/11 at 03:02 PM

I've posted a link to these cameras or types of them before, a search on ebay brings up MD80 mini cam.

My brother has one and its quiet impressive with a fast mini SD card.

MINI CAM LINK

7 day shop sell these without a micro SD for £10.99 with free delivery so worth a punt.

interestedparty - 2/2/11 at 03:07 PM

I think as cameras on bicycles AND cars and lorries etc get more common then there probably will be an improvement in driving standards, and a reduction of road rage incidents, which would be a good thing.

On the subject of why some drivers don't see cyclists, or motorbikes- that a very interesting question. I think we can rule out stupidity, probably sheer carelessness too, although people affected by such behaviour will swear it is a combination of both. My guess is the problem is to do with the way people perceive things, and the way their sub conscious minds will block out things that it thinks doesn't concern the active part of the brain. It's a way of coping with the information overload that would happen if there wasn't some kind of filter operating.

So drivers tend to look for specific things, and at a junction it will be other cars and larger vehicles. Yes, of course they should see and react to smaller stuff such as bikes, but sometimes they don't. How to prevent this? Good question. Workable answers on a postcard to the government.

Simon - 2/2/11 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
I was reading about a case a while back where there was a queue of traffic heading into a city. So one of the cars in the queue lets someone who was coming the other way turn to the right (across the queue of traffic) and into a side street. So chummy has nearly completed his turn when a cyclist comes shooting up the inside of the cars in the queue and rides full pelt into the turning car, and hits him near the back end.

The cyclist is going that fast that he ends up going over the roof of the turning car, and the bike is of course written off. So it's pretty obvious that the cyclist had his head down, pumping away, glancing at the watch on his wrist, thinking he was going to get a good time today, maybe even shave a couple of seconds off his best, thinking what mugs all the fatties in the cars were for waiting in a queue, then bang!

But that's not the funny part, accidents aren't usually funny. The funny part is that the cyclist reckoned it was the car driver's fault!

If you invite someone across or out of a junction YOU are responsible for what happens if somone drives or rides into that vehicle even if that vehicle was driving too fast, so NEVER EVER invite someone out, cos you'll be done for it!

When I was a m/c instructor one off our pupils (who was filtering perfectly safely) had someone pull out infront them from a private driveway. Both them and the person who invited them out got done! If you ain't a traffic cop, you ain't allowed to direct traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
In Aberdeen there is more than one that cycles well in the middle on the road causing two lanes of traffic to squeeze [Edited on 2/202/11 by mad4x4]

This is a perfectly reasonable defensive driving technique - we used to teach moped riders to do the same otherwise twat drivers would squeeze past in a gap that wasn't there, pushing you into the gutter. And according to an interview I heard with a chap from the IAM who are taking an active interest in cycling are also recommending the course.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 2/2/11 by Simon]

zilspeed - 2/2/11 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

If you invite someone across or out of a junction YOU are responsible for what happens if somone drives or rides into that vehicle even if that vehicle was driving too fast, so NEVER EVER invite someone out, cos you'll be done for it!

When I was a m/c instructor one off our pupils (who was filtering perfectly safely) had someone pull out infront them from a private driveway. Both them and the person who invited them out got done! If you ain't a traffic cop, you ain't allowed to direct traffic.

ATB

Simon

Couldn't agree more.

Often, I have passengers in the car who question why I don't 'flash' someone to let them in / out / through.

It's hard work explaining that by refusing to participate in this misguided nonsense, I'm ensuring that the decision on whether or not to make the manouvre rests with the other driver. As it should. They should make their own decisions.

I'm capable of going about my business without anyone else's help.
So should everyone else be.

I once offered to guide a friend who was reversing his very long van and transporter into his drive on a busy road.
He quite rightly refused my help and instructed me to stand aside and take nothing to do with it.
The success of the manovure was his responsibility.

As it should be.

RazMan - 2/2/11 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

I'm capable of going about my business without anyone else's help.
So should everyone else be.

I once offered to guide a friend who was reversing his very long van and transporter into his drive on a busy road.
He quite rightly refused my help and instructed me to stand aside and take nothing to do with it.
The success of the manovure was his responsibility.

As it should be.

Sorry but that is just plain daft! Whatever happened to common courtesy? Obviously, what the driver chooses to do is his own responsibility and quite rightly so. If he chooses to accept some help when reversing then that is surely just making the reversing a little less dangerous - if you can't see what's behind you then a second pair of eyes (if available) is the sensible option. I often give lorries (and cyclists btw) a little more room / time when negotiating sharp bends or other hazards and I simply flash my lights to let them know I have seen them and THEY make the decision to move - not me.

T66 - 2/2/11 at 07:11 PM

The flashing of headlights is a big no no , it implies the road is safe/clear when in fact it may not be.

Let others make their driving decisions.

Only time flashing headlights get used, is to warn others of speed cameras lol and when someone oncoming is about to head on you.....

interestedparty - 2/2/11 at 09:09 PM

quote:
quote:

I didn't say anybody invited anybody to do anything. Just thought I would make that extra clear. So, tell me, whose fault do you think the accident I described was?

Simon - 2/2/11 at 09:31 PM

quote:
So one of the cars in the queue lets someone who was coming the other way turn to the right

So, tell me, whose fault do you think the accident I described was?

Harsh as it may seem but even leaving a gap is technically an invitation. Not leaving a gap maybe construed as arrogant and bloody minded.

Fault was both the person who left the gap and who was crossing the road.

ATB

Simon

interestedparty - 3/2/11 at 06:17 AM

quote:
quote:
So one of the cars in the queue lets someone who was coming the other way turn to the right

So, tell me, whose fault do you think the accident I described was?

Harsh as it may seem but even leaving a gap is technically an invitation. Not leaving a gap maybe construed as arrogant and bloody minded.

Fault was both the person who left the gap and who was crossing the road.

ATB

Simon

So the cyclist who was hammering up the inside of a row of stopped cars with his head down, and who consequently struck the turning car near its rear was in the clear? You cannot be serious.

At, say, 20 mph, how far back would the cyclist need to be at the time when the turning car started its manouvre? 4 car lengths? 6? How the f*ck would the driver of the turning car be expected to see him? As far as I am concerned, in the scenario I described, there was only ONE person at fault and that was the cyclist, and that the cycling was sufficiently careless to warrant a prosecution.

Simon - 4/2/11 at 10:08 PM

Then I suggest you read up on the highway code, do some advanced driving courses, maybe become an instructor of sorts the you won't end up in deep shit.

The cyclist has a right of way, and that is what counts, irrespective of whether he's got his eyes shut or travelling at 100 mph. The car blocked that right of way. End of.

The driver of the turning car should ensure that his manoeuvre will be safe considering a) where he is going, what's happening from b) both left and right and c) from the rear. If he is relying on a third party "the invitor", he has failed to do relevant checks and relied on someone else whoi may have assumed he has done them.

You need to get out on a bike and see what tossers drivers can be. I ride bike, ex motorcyclist (IAM Advanced, RoSPA Advanced and Instructor for about 12 years) and drive cars so believe I have a fairly balanced view.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 4/2/11 by Simon]

roadrunner - 4/2/11 at 10:53 PM

I am a
very big petrol head and I also cycle 15 miles a day to work, partly due to the Humber Bridge toll being £2.70 each way.
Now I where high visibility clothing have two back lights and two high powered front lights and still people don't see me. I have close shaves nearly every day and I have been run over twice, last being a Picasso cutting a t junction with me turning right and ending up going through the windscreen.
For every cyclist that jumps a red light I bet there are double if not more car drivers who do the same. Motor bikes travelling up the inside of cuing traffic, For every arsole bike rider there is ten times more arsole drivers.
Some cars don't even pay road tax ,why should I when I have two cars at home with tax on the screen. I have a petrol turbo which I pay more tax for just because it uses more fuel than a 1LTR Polo, but do I get a reduction for not using it.
People cannot moan about one or the other unless they experience it for themselves.
I ride my bike as best as I can ,stopping when I have too and giving way as I should, yes I might ride a little fast for most people, I managed to get a free slipstream from a moped using the cycle lane this week clocking 33 mph in the process,
but I will loose my cool when cars cut me up, try to overtake when there's obviously not enough room, pull out in front of
me the same way a driver shouts at another driver. And I will kick the living poo out of the next person that knocks me off
my bike , even if I end up in trouble, they need to feel the pain too.
I drive fast most of the time , but I will also be courteous to a fellow cyclist while I am behind the wheel.

On the matter of the camera, I was looking at getting one for when I drive the Indy.

roadrunner - 4/2/11 at 10:59 PM

Just another thought for all you non cyclists. If a cyclist is travelling the wrong way down a road onto on coming traffic, what is the correct procedure as a driver you should take. Think about it, the cyclist will always have the right of way in any circumstance, the driver in his killing machine will have non.

owelly - 4/2/11 at 11:24 PM

I may as well chip in with my tuppence worth....
For a kick off, don't quote the highway code as law. It isn't. Ignoring the advise in the highway code may also be comitting an offence under the Road Traffic Act but not always. The quote about overtaking is a very good example. If you are travelling at 30mph in a 30mph limit, the highway code 'advises' you to slow down to let someone who is attempting an overtake, to do so safely. There is nothing in the Road Traffic Act that states such. However, if you were travelling at 20mph and then you sped up to 30mph when someone was trying to overtake, then you are committing an offence, possibly more than one offence.

Secondly, having spent most of my youth on motorbikes, I learnt to ride as if every other road user was out to kill me. OK, so perhaps I do have the right of way, my light has gone green, etc. Great. I'll think about that as I'm getting some grumpy, hairy, male nurse, wiping my arse and bringing me cups of tepid weak tea. Right is right but sometimes it's better to concede, use your noggin, let the BMW X5 jump his red light and stay safe.
If cyclists would just accept the inevitable, that other road users don't see them or can't be bothered to give them room or whatever, then it's up to them to drive accordingly. Those camera clips are a very good example. It's pretty obvious most of the time what is going to happen so instead of getting all high and mighty, just roll with it (not literally) and get home safe. After all, as we have all agreed, in a collision between a tin box and a soft fleshy organic person, the person will come off worse.

As for taxing cycles? I tax my motorbikes. I taxed my moped. What's the difference? Pedally bikes use the roads. Admittedly they should get a rebate because they don't seem to use the traffic lights and other road signs but they make up for that by using the pavements.

This is what we need. NSFW!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Simon - 5/2/11 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Can't argue with quality like that

ATB

Simon

interestedparty - 5/2/11 at 07:03 AM

quote:
I ride bike, ex motorcyclist (IAM Advanced, RoSPA Advanced and Instructor for about 12 years) and drive cars so believe I have a fairly balanced view.

I believe that you do not have a balanced view at all, or maybe you haven't understood the scenario I laid out. There is no possible way at all that anybody but the cyclist could possibly be to blame in the incident described.

At the time that the turning driver started his manouvre the cyclist could well have been 8 or 9 cars back, and therefore completely invisible to that driver. If things were as you describe no-one would ever be able to turn right off a main road ever, for fear that an invisible cyclist would suddenly ram him as he completes his turn.

Your list of qualifications to talk on this subject are not relevant, all you need is common sense.

jeffw - 5/2/11 at 07:26 AM

This is the type of behaviour I see a lot in London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H95pnjNVU8&NR=1

roadrunner - 5/2/11 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
This is the type of behaviour I see a lot in London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H95pnjNVU8&NR=1

But did you notice the camera man.

jacko - 5/2/11 at 04:40 PM

And thats why all our buses have cameras at the front both sides and back you should see some of the film o my god
Best thing is NOT to use a bike on the road

zilspeed - 5/2/11 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I may as well chip in with my tuppence worth....
For a kick off, don't quote the highway code as law. It isn't. Ignoring the advise in the highway code may also be comitting an offence under the Road Traffic Act but not always. The quote about overtaking is a very good example. If you are travelling at 30mph in a 30mph limit, the highway code 'advises' you to slow down to let someone who is attempting an overtake, to do so safely. There is nothing in the Road Traffic Act that states such. However, if you were travelling at 20mph and then you sped up to 30mph when someone was trying to overtake, then you are committing an offence, possibly more than one offence.

Secondly, having spent most of my youth on motorbikes, I learnt to ride as if every other road user was out to kill me. OK, so perhaps I do have the right of way, my light has gone green, etc. Great. I'll think about that as I'm getting some grumpy, hairy, male nurse, wiping my arse and bringing me cups of tepid weak tea. Right is right but sometimes it's better to concede, use your noggin, let the BMW X5 jump his red light and stay safe.
If cyclists would just accept the inevitable, that other road users don't see them or can't be bothered to give them room or whatever, then it's up to them to drive accordingly. Those camera clips are a very good example. It's pretty obvious most of the time what is going to happen so instead of getting all high and mighty, just roll with it (not literally) and get home safe. After all, as we have all agreed, in a collision between a tin box and a soft fleshy organic person, the person will come off worse.

As for taxing cycles? I tax my motorbikes. I taxed my moped. What's the difference? Pedally bikes use the roads. Admittedly they should get a rebate because they don't seem to use the traffic lights and other road signs but they make up for that by using the pavements.

Woohoo

The Rubberbandits have the answer.

Snuggs - 5/2/11 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Just another thought for all you non cyclists. If a cyclist is travelling the wrong way down a road onto on coming traffic, what is the correct procedure as a driver you should take. Think about it, the cyclist will always have the right of way in any circumstance, the driver in his killing machine will have non.

So what you're saying is that cyclists can break the law and STILL have right of way.

Yeah, right !!!!

PhilCross66 - 5/2/11 at 06:00 PM

So Snuggs how do you think you will do in court when you are explaining to a judge that you had right of way over the oncoming cyclist so you didn't try to stop or avoid him and just ran him over and killed him ?

Snuggs - 5/2/11 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PhilCross66
So Snuggs how do you think you will do in court when you are explaining to a judge that you had right of way over the oncoming cyclist so you didn't try to stop or avoid him and just ran him over and killed him ?

Would you deliberately run in to a car that had pulled out in front of you just because you had right of way ?

I would always try to avoid a collision whether I had right of way or not, but I refuse to take responsibility for an unavoidable collision that was caused by someone who is breaking the law or acting in a stupid or reckless manner.

[Edited on 5/2/11 by Snuggs]

roadrunner - 5/2/11 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
quote:

Would you deliberately run in to a car that had pulled out in front of you just because you had right of way ?

I would always try to avoid a collision whether I had right of way or not, but I refuse to take responsibility for an unavoidable collision that was caused by someone who is breaking the law or acting in a stupid or reckless manner.

Have you ever been involved in an accident Snuggs, I have 3 times, once in my car and twice on a bike, non of witch where my fault. I always thought that I could avoid anything that came at me, how wrong I was.
When I talk about someone going the wrong way down a road on a bike, its not meant to be real, its just hypothetical. If a woman crossed the road in front of you while pushing a pram, you wouldn't hit here just because you had the right of way.

Snuggs - 5/2/11 at 08:45 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you ever been involved in an accident Snuggs, I have 3 times, once in my car and twice on a bike, non of witch where my fault. I always thought that I could avoid anything that came at me, how wrong I was.
When I talk about someone going the wrong way down a road on a bike, its not meant to be real, its just hypothetical. If a woman crossed the road in front of you while pushing a pram, you wouldn't hit here just because you had the right of way.

Have I said anywhere that I would deliberately cause a collision because I had right of way.

Some collisions are UNAVOIDABLE but someone is ALWAYS to blame.

Cyclists and pedestrians may have right of way over motorised vehicles but as I said earlier I will not be held responsible if anyone causes an UNAVOIDABLE collision.

dmac - 5/2/11 at 11:48 PM

quote:

At the time that the turning driver started his manouvre the cyclist could well have been 8 or 9 cars back, and therefore completely invisible to that driver. If things were as you describe no-one would ever be able to turn right off a main road ever, for fear that an invisible cyclist would suddenly ram him as he completes his turn.

Stop digging, you're only making it worse, if the driver could not see that it was safe to make the manoeuvre then he should wait until he can see that it is safe (the accident proves that it wasn't safe). If you are crossing a queue of traffic through a gap that someone has left you cannot assume that there is no filtering traffic because filtering is a legal manoeuvre.

We all know that people make unsafe manoeuvres all the time and get away with it, this seems to make them think that it is not their fault when they do not get away with it.

Duncan

MakeEverything - 6/2/11 at 12:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG

Tell me youre joking?

I saw a cyclist get run over by a skip lorry (he actually went pop as the rear wheels wend over his head) because he jumped the lights at speed and couldnt stop. They are also a distraction to the "Right of way" as they ride into the junction, beyond the stop lines.

Ever been hit by a cyclist jumping the lights at 20-30 mph? I have (on a zebra crossing in the scenario below) it hurts. Ever had a cyclist damage your car and then just ride off as though its normal? I have, causing nearly £300 in damage which i had to pay for as a result of handlebars and brake levers hitting the side of the car where he lost his balance trying to squeeze his way through.

In London, they also filter through the traffic and often cant see the crossings, so when youre on the crossing and the bus has stopped, behind it lurks a twat like the one in the video shooting between the traffic, jumping the crossings and red lights.

I dont have anything at all against cyclists (In fact i sympathise with them to a point), but i did a cycling proficiency test at school some years back, which taught me some fundamental road safety skills and some elements of the highway code that dont seem to exist in some cyclists. Obviously motoring (Car and Bike) has extended that somewhat now, and theres no way id ride a motorbike (or bicycle for that matter) the way some of these idiots do. - I stress at this point, that there are sensible cyclists that ive encountered as well.

I think the Road Tax point made above is for cycles to be taxed as road users, much like cars. I have three vehicles in our family, all individually taxed (as it is illegal to transfer between vehicles), insured and roadworthy (though the kit is in bits....) so why wouldn't i have to contribute if i used a cycle on the road.

MakeEverything - 6/2/11 at 12:48 AM

quote:

Cyclists and pedestrians may have right of way over motorised vehicles but as I said earlier I will not be held responsible if anyone causes an UNAVOIDABLE collision.

Not strictly true. Cyclists are banned from some roads (Motorways or pedestrianised areas), and pedestrians do not have right of way in the middle of every road.

MakeEverything - 6/2/11 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
The flashing of headlights is a big no no , it implies the road is safe/clear when in fact it may not be.

What it actually implies, is that you are making other road users aware of your presence. Nothing else.

interestedparty - 6/2/11 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dmac
quote:

Stop digging, you're only making it worse, if the driver could not see that it was safe to make the manoeuvre then he should wait until he can see that it is safe (the accident proves that it wasn't safe). If you are crossing a queue of traffic through a gap that someone has left you cannot assume that there is no filtering traffic because filtering is a legal manoeuvre.

We all know that people make unsafe manoeuvres all the time and get away with it, this seems to make them think that it is not their fault when they do not get away with it.

Duncan

I really don't understand how you can ignore the facts of the case I set out. You must be one of those "cyclist is always right" types. One of the things you are ignoring here is the fact that the cyclist wasn't looking where he was going. There's an offence right there. What if it had been a woman and pushchair that he had hit? Whose fault would it have been then? Try applying some simple logic and read through the case I laid out again, and see if you can't start to get it.

Snuggs - 6/2/11 at 11:02 AM

quote:
quote:

Duncan

Filtering is only a legal manoeuvre IF there is a filter/cycle/bus lane.

Undertaking is allowed if the traffic in the NEXT lane is moving slower than you are. NOT TRAFFIC IN THE SAME LANE

dmac - 6/2/11 at 07:25 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Duncan

I really don't understand how you can ignore the facts of the case I set out. You must be one of those "cyclist is always right" types. One of the things you are ignoring here is the fact that the cyclist wasn't looking where he was going. There's an offence right there. What if it had been a woman and pushchair that he had hit? Whose fault would it have been then? Try applying some simple logic and read through the case I laid out again, and see if you can't start to get it.

I agree that cyclists are often in the wrong but I have far more sympathy for them as they come off so much worse in any collision, however in your original case the car driver turned across the path of a moving vehicle that he could not see* and so he is in the wrong. You have assumed a few things about the cyclist that you could not possibly know as you only read about the accident and you are building your case around these assumptions rather than the facts that you have posted.

* I have assumed that the car driver could not see the cyclist but if he could see him then it makes his case even worse.

in your second case it sounds like the woman is in the wrong, what would your opinion be if she pushed her baby out right in front of your car and you couldn't stop in time?

Duncan

roadrunner - 6/2/11 at 07:37 PM

This is going to the longest argument yet.
The popcorn has long gone.

dmac - 6/2/11 at 07:42 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Duncan

Filtering is only a legal manoeuvre IF there is a filter/cycle/bus lane.

Undertaking is allowed if the traffic in the NEXT lane is moving slower than you are. NOT TRAFFIC IN THE SAME LANE

Filtering for motorcyclists is covered by rule 88 of the highway code but there is no mention of it for cyclists, however since it is not listed in the "you must not" section it must be considered allowable.

Duncan

interestedparty - 6/2/11 at 07:44 PM

quote:

I agree that cyclists are often in the wrong but I have far more sympathy for them as they come off so much worse in any collision, however in your original case the car driver turned across the path of a moving vehicle that he could not see* and so he is in the wrong. You have assumed a few things about the cyclist that you could not possibly know as you only read about the accident and you are building your case around these assumptions rather than the facts that you have posted.

* I have assumed that the car driver could not see the cyclist but if he could see him then it makes his case even worse.

in your second case it sounds like the woman is in the wrong, what would your opinion be if she pushed her baby out right in front of your car and you couldn't stop in time?

Duncan

The fact that cyclists 'usually' come off worse just makes this particular idiot's actions even more idiotic. The FACT that he struck the vehicle, near its rear, hard enough to end up going over the top PROVES that he was a) not looking where he was going or b) not riding within a speed at which he could stop in the amount of road that he could see to be clear.

The very idea that cyclists should be allowed to dominate the city streets like this is ridiculous. Nobody ever allowed to turn right just in case a lunatic cyclist shouls suddenly shoot out from behind a series of slowed/stopped cars and plough full pelt across a junction without a care in the world is 'not sensible' and 'not reasonable'.

If I was a judge and the driver of the car came up in front of me that would be a resounding not guilty, in fact I would throw the case out without a hearing.

As for the hapless woman with the pushchair, a lot would depnd on WHY I couldn't stop. In a case like the one described, on a bike steaming up the inside of stopped cars, in the same lane as them, woman crossing from the other side, I would hope that it would be a custodial sentence.

dmac - 6/2/11 at 07:46 PM

quote:

You can go to the shop for some more, we'll still be at it when you get back

Duncan

dmac - 6/2/11 at 07:59 PM

quote:
quote:

Duncan

The fact that cyclists 'usually' come off worse just makes this particular idiot's actions even more idiotic. The FACT that he struck the vehicle, near its rear, hard enough to end up going over the top PROVES that he was a) not looking where he was going or b) not riding within a speed at which he could stop in the amount of road that he could see to be clear.

The very idea that cyclists should be allowed to dominate the city streets like this is ridiculous. Nobody ever allowed to turn right just in case a lunatic cyclist shouls suddenly shoot out from behind a series of slowed/stopped cars and plough full pelt across a junction without a care in the world is 'not sensible' and 'not reasonable'.

If I was a judge and the driver of the car came up in front of me that would be a resounding not guilty, in fact I would throw the case out without a hearing.

As for the hapless woman with the pushchair, a lot would depnd on WHY I couldn't stop. In a case like the one described, on a bike steaming up the inside of stopped cars, in the same lane as them, woman crossing from the other side, I would hope that it would be a custodial sentence.

Where the cyclist struck the car has as much to do with the speed of the car as the speed of the bike and it sounds like the road was clear until the idiot in the car made an illegal manoeuvre.

Cyclists are allowed to use the roads and car drivers are specifically warned by rule 211 of the highway code to watch out for them in exactly this scenario.

If you were the judge you would get overturned on appeal.

Since the bike is allowed to be in that position the equivalent would be for the woman to push her child from a stationary lane into a moving lane, it still sounds like she is in the wrong to me.

Duncan

Richard Quinn - 6/2/11 at 08:13 PM

quote:

I can't wait for some better weather. I think that there is a touch of cabin fever setting in with everyone being confined to the garage for too long!

interestedparty - 6/2/11 at 08:48 PM

quote:

Cyclists are allowed to use the roads and car drivers are specifically warned by rule 211 of the highway code to watch out for them in exactly this scenario.

Rule 72 (for cyclists)
On the left. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

[Edited on 6/2/11 by interestedparty]

roadrunner - 6/2/11 at 09:08 PM

quote:
quote:

Duncan

Am I allowed to go on my bike.

dmac - 6/2/11 at 09:24 PM

Just been watching top gear and they had this argument with Clarkson taking the motorists side so that must mean that the cyclists are right!

Duncan

dmac - 6/2/11 at 09:30 PM

Just noticed that I've gone over 100 posts and been promoted to 'Builder', I always wondered what I had to do to get rid of the Junior tag

Thanks to all those who kept this thread open for their help.

Duncan

dmac - 6/2/11 at 09:32 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Duncan

Yes but be careful riding back with a carrier bag in one hand

MakeEverything - 6/2/11 at 09:34 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Duncan

Ok, but no filtering.....

interestedparty - 6/2/11 at 09:38 PM

I think this disagreement has been too good-natured to be worthy of popcorn. Let's hope none of the people reading this are ever either the driver or the cyclist in that scenario (or any other accident thing for that matter).

MikeRJ - 6/2/11 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man

What a little charmer you are

Fortunately my family are mentally stable and intelligent people, and are able to use these faculties to preserve their own lives by anticipating the actions (or inactions) of other road users. Of course I appreciate that some cyclists would prefer to take the moral high ground and not give an inch to a car, but they tend to be the ones that end up dead or disabled. Moral high ground or life? Tough call huh?

I find it quite amazing how some cyclists appear to be able to attract trouble and conflict on the road, almost as if they go looking for it...

[Edited on 6/2/11 by MikeRJ]

dmac - 6/2/11 at 10:20 PM

quote:
I think this disagreement has been too good-natured to be worthy of popcorn. Let's hope none of the people reading this are ever either the driver or the cyclist in that scenario (or any other accident thing for that matter).

I can't disagree with that.

Duncan

jeffw - 7/2/11 at 06:33 AM

This whole cyclist vs car argument reminds me of Steam giving way to Sail. In theory it is great but if you are in a dinghy in the Solent don't expect the supertanker coming through to alter its course because you have decided to test the rule. You might be right but you are still dead.

swanny - 7/2/11 at 12:20 PM

as a driving obsessive who has recently started spending a lot of time on two wheels the example on the video seems pretty even.

The cyclist decides against defensive driving ie he can see what the van is likely to do at the junction but chooses not to slow down, carries on at full speed and prepares to scream at the van instead.

then round the corner seems to hold the middle of the road despite the fact that parked cars are a good distance still ahead.

if i was biking and spotted a van that didnt seem entirely aware of my prescence i'd be free wheeling a bit, hands ready on brakes until he well away.

both driver and cyclist seem driven by the same p*nis led machismo driving style. both idiots. both would rather risk a crash, or a fight than back down.

jeez guys there are worse things in life.

[Edited on 7/2/11 by swanny]