Board logo

Volvo Help - what is this?
lsdweb - 3/3/13 at 01:42 PM

Hi All

A neighbour of mine has a problem with his Volvo - he's bought a new car but needs to sort the old one out to sell it.

It's 'leaking' oil from the part shown in the attached photo. I only had the briefest of looks yesterday - this appears to be a vacuum or pressure operated flap - not sure why it would be leaking oil!

Any ideas? He's a bit skint so can't really afford too much to fix it!

Regards

Wyn

Description
Description

Here - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=rhydian.jpg

[Edited on 3/3/13 by lsdweb]

tomprescott - 3/3/13 at 01:51 PM

I think some of the Volvo's had a vacuum operated (or at least partially vacuum operated) cruise control system - is it tied into that?

Quite hard to see from your pic but I think the black plastic L-shaped piece at the top is also related to the cruise control.

What are the symptoms?

I would guess a Haynes manual would be a quick way of confirming what it is...

ETA: On second glance I'm not so sure, sorry!

[Edited on 3/3/13 by tomprescott]

Volvorsport - 3/3/13 at 04:08 PM

diesel ?

not so sure , but could be egr related

AndyW - 3/3/13 at 04:26 PM

Looks a very similar part that was on our car (not volvo), and it too leaked oil, turned out to be a vacuum operated shut off valve to help switch the engine off. Turns out the turbo had been leaking oil through the air system, through the intercooler and up this pipe back to the inlet. Eventually it blew completeley.

Apparently on renaults (our car) this was a common sign the turbo was about to blow.

Is it a turbo diesel???

[Edited on 3/3/13 by AndyW]

lsdweb - 3/3/13 at 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. Just checked with my mate - it's a Td.

The fact that it's leaking oil suggests there's a serious oil leak / turbo problem :-(